Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Information on How to Sponsor United e-Upgrades" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Information on How to Sponsor United e-Upgrades" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by xpacific
Welcome to FlyerTalk Starprincess
You should be just fine. If you want to take one precaution it would be this: Call UA and ensure that there is adequate information in record for the check-in agent to understand how the upgrade was sponsored. Have a great flight!

Thanks so much!

I have been reading this forum for ages and finally decided to actually join! I called back and was told that the sponsors MP number was in the system and that would be adequate for the gate agent to process!
Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
e-giving of swu are not working at the moment for your info
JR
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (finally!!), but sadly no longer 1K
Originally Posted by Starprincess
Thanks so much!

. . . . I called back and was told that the sponsors MP number was in the system and that would be adequate for the gate agent to process!
That's true in theory, but I have been at the receiving end of two frustrating screwups at checkin in the past 3 weeks, and it took ages to get it squared away.

Be sure you have the sponsor's name and MP number with you in hand when you check in, in case the agent cant find it in the record (even though they told you on the phone that it was "in the system".

Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kman
That's true in theory, but I have been at the receiving end of two frustrating screwups at checkin in the past 3 weeks, and it took ages to get it squared away.

Be sure you have the sponsor's name and MP number with you in hand when you check in, in case the agent cant find it in the record (even though they told you on the phone that it was "in the system".

I'll second this... I've had a few experiences this year with sponsored upgrades almost turning into downgrades. The first time, at LHR, I happened to have the sponsor's MP number and all was well. The second time, at PEK, I didn't have the info and almost ended up in E-. Fortunately the agent was able to find the information.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:00 pm

I can add something else here dealing with the upgrades. If you purchase a ticket that must be issued on paper, you will not be able to upgrade the person via the website but will have to go to the airport/CTO to sign the bluey.

Also, I've had it where I had to change my flights to a different day. They were the same flights but on a different day. They required the sponser to go back to the airport again and sign another bluey for me.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Used sponsored SWU bounced back into my account

I recently used my last SWU to upgrade a colleague. I hadv to call united.com technical support to do it, but all went smoothly and my e-upgrade summary showed it had been redeemed.

That was a week ago, but now it has bounced back from the redeemed list to the unused!

I'm not sure I dare try and upgrade someone else, but it would seem a shame for it to go to waste.

david
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
e-Upgrading with SWU worked only for first of two legs

This afternoon, I took pity on a colleague scheduled to fly SEA-NRT-SIN tomorrow on two very full, if not oversold, flights--in coach with no seat assignments and with no status. I tried to upgrade him online. His SEA-NRT flight confirmed immediately and, equally quickly, the NRT-SIN flight displayed: "Upgrade denied".

I called the 1K line and the friendly and seemingly-knowledgeable agent expressed surprise that NRT-SIN had not cleared. Her first attempt to clear the upgrade failed and she had to "force it manually". Moments later, I could see confirmation online, along with seat assignments in C for both flights.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I went to my local UX/Skywest station and it took an hour for me to ugrade another FTer using a SWU from my account. The agent (friendly) had never processed an e-upgrade from another's account in 5.5 years at UX.

The instructions in the first post of this thread were not very helpful. One of the profiles is totally gone.

He finally figured it out by hitting the Companion option when trying to upgrade my passenger. If he had seen that from the start it would have only taken a few minutes. He nicely photocopied the Auditor's Coupon for me though.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Gold
This year I sponsored an upgrade using the bluey. It was PVG-PHL. However, the SWU was not deducted from my acct. Apparently the GA did not do it.

This month, I flied JFK-SFO-PVG and back. I used SWU to upgrade to F. I was surprised to find that they did not deduct the outbound flight. I find it strange because it was requested on website. How could the computer missed it?
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by bobo809
This year I sponsored an upgrade using the bluey. It was PVG-PHL. However, the SWU was not deducted from my acct. Apparently the GA did not do it.

This month, I flied JFK-SFO-PVG and back. I used SWU to upgrade to F. I was surprised to find that they did not deduct the outbound flight. I find it strange because it was requested on website. How could the computer missed it?
UA is having serious auditing issues at the moment. Many SWUs are not being deducted. UA does audit. The question is whether they do it sooner, later or at all.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:20 pm

what happens when the upgrade doesn't go through

if someone is transferring an SWU to a ticket that you already purchased, but your upgrade doesn't go through before boarding, does the SWU revert to the original owner of the SWU or does it stay in your account for your later use?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:23 pm

also, can SWU be re-gifted?

also, if you receive an SWU and don't use it, or you're upgrade does not go through, can you transfer the SWU to another person? in other words, can SWU's get transfered ad infinitum?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by bones123
also, if you receive an SWU and don't use it, or you're upgrade does not go through, can you transfer the SWU to another person? in other words, can SWU's get transfered ad infinitum?
You can transfer your own unused SWU to anyone, but cannot transfer a SWU from someone else applied to one of your itineraries that didn't clear to anyone else. That SWU remains the original owners until it's used.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
Originally Posted by bones123
if someone is transferring an SWU to a ticket that you already purchased, but your upgrade doesn't go through before boarding, does the SWU revert to the original owner of the SWU or does it stay in your account for your later use?
The unused SWU reverts back to the sponsor's account.
I just added info to the opening post regarding this. Thanks for the question!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:09 am

So when I go to the airport with my friend and he transfers the SWU to me for my trip -- what exactly should I expect when I walk out of the airport?

If there are business class seats available -- will I have a new seat assigned in Business class immediately?

If not, when would I find out? Do you always wait until day of boarding to find out if you are officially upgraded?

How much of this depends on my MP status?

How often will receiving an SWU lead to an actual upgrade?

When is the best time to transfer/apply the SWU?

Thanks for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.