Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Information on How to Sponsor United e-Upgrades" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Information on How to Sponsor United e-Upgrades" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:38 am

Hi

I am sorry if these are dumb questions - I have looked through this thread (and some others) and haven't seen any obvious answers...

I have a US internal/domestic flight already booked. A friend has since offered me a regional upgrade coupon. So my question is can I use it?

I am not a UA Frequent Flyer and my fare basis is "UA7BIZN" (I can't seem to find a normal code). On the UA website, it says that my flight number is eligble for upgrade (all FC seats are showing as available), but how do I check if there is availability to upgrade?

Thanks,
Boo
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
Originally Posted by stevescottcfi
I'm in the same boat. I was sponsered with an SWU for a trip to Thailand. My sponseree actually went to a United desk, and was told that an Auditor's coupon was not required. My upgrade just cleared so I will find out tomorrow whether I have any problems or not. He also called the 1K desk and was told again that no coupon signing is required.
Did you by chance share the same last name?
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too
Hi

I am sorry if these are dumb questions - I have looked through this thread (and some others) and haven't seen any obvious answers...

I have a US internal/domestic flight already booked. A friend has since offered me a regional upgrade coupon. So my question is can I use it?

I am not a UA Frequent Flyer and my fare basis is "UA7BIZN" (I can't seem to find a normal code). On the UA website, it says that my flight number is eligble for upgrade (all FC seats are showing as available), but how do I check if there is availability to upgrade?

Thanks,
Boo
When you say a "US internal/domestic flight" do you mean on US Airways (perhaps as a code share on United)? If so, then your friend cannot upgrade you, as UA regional upgrades are only valid on United operated flights.

If it is a UA operated flight, then the quickest way to find out if upgrade space is available is for your friend to call United with your record locator and ask the reservation agent. He could also log on at united.com as per the opening post and sponsor the upgrade -- however note that he will not be able to see if the upgrade seat is confirmed or waitlisted.

You should also join Mileage Plus so you can log in yourself to see the status, etc.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K (sob...former GS), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stevescottcfi
I'm in the same boat. I was sponsered with an SWU for a trip to Thailand. My sponseree actually went to a United desk, and was told that an Auditor's coupon was not required. My upgrade just cleared so I will find out tomorrow whether I have any problems or not. He also called the 1K desk and was told again that no coupon signing is required.

My thanks to GoingAway for the speedy reply - I checked with UA (again) and got the answer that everyone (eventually) seems to - yes, a bluey is required. Fortunately, my friend was flying yesterday and signed the form in the RCC.

stevescottcfi - here's hoping you didn't have any problems with your u/g!
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Exclamation

After discussion with the original poster, and with the realization that the change in FlyerTalk rules this year (that posters with less than 90 days on FT or less than 90 posts can't see Coupon Connection) means that many posters could not see this thread in its former home in Coupon Connection, I am moving this to the United forum and "stickying" it there through 1/31/06

cblaisd
Coupon Connection and United
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:48 am

Programs: WWMFD
Chuck: ^
Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:22 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Very helpful thread! ^

Will this be added to the FAQ sticky also?
Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

I believe the link in the FAQ still works

A reminder to everyone, though: Please do not use this thread (or any other in any airline/hotel forum) to request/offer upgrades or certs or "coupons." Per the announcement at the top of this forum, all such requests/offers must be in Coupon Connection, per Randy Petersen.

Thanks,

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:01 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Two Very Recent Experiences

#1: Used the online system to sponsor an upgrade. Only option is paper SWU. I call the 1K desk and CR says there is nothing she can do and I should call web support. So I do and a manual request is submitted. 24 hours later, the SWU is reserved and the sponsoree's itinerary shows a successful upgrade.

#2: Used the online system again. Now have options for electronic and paper SWUs. I select electronic and upgrade seems to go through. I let sponsoree know and advise him to confirm. He PMs me that they pulled one of his SWUs, which he has 1K desk remove but he then the upgrade vanishes. I use online system again, then call 1K desk to discover it has again pulled his SWU, not mine. 1K agent says she can process the upgrade with my SWU, but I have to go to the airport to sign the bluey. As it's the Wed before Thanksgiving the airport is likely a zoo and the RDU UX staff are mostly clueless anyway, I thank her and say I'm going to call web support. Web support again processes the upgrade manually and tells me it will take 24-48 hours.

Moral: If online sponsor system doesn't work, call web support at 800-589-5582. They clearly have a well-defined process in place to manually process sponsored upgrades.

Good luck!
Old Nov 26, 2005, 2:30 am

Programs: United 1K 3MM (almost!), Starwood Platinum, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy

Moral: If online sponsor system doesn't work, call web support at 800-589-5582. They clearly have a well-defined process in place to manually process sponsored upgrades.

I think a lot depends on the skill and experience of the airport staff. Santa Barbara is served by United Express, which has frequently changing staff from a contracted agent. Few of the agents know what to do, making this process long and problematic. Use web support if not around skilled agents.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:56 pm
wfb

Programs: US, UA, Hilton Gold, ex-1K
I sponsored 2 roundtrip upgrades online using SWUs. After reading the warnings and advice in this thread about signing a release as a precaution, even when it shouldn't be necessary, I went to the airport.

The ticketing agent said there was no signature release prompt on her screen to produce a bluey, since the upgrades were sponsored online. I called the 1K line. The 1K phone reservations agent said he could produce a bluey option for the ticketing agent, but only if he removed the online sponsorship and applied it manually. This would put the sponsoree at the bottom of the waitlist. I declined. It was a wasted trip to airport.

The sponsoree has flown the first roundtrip, and his upgrades cleared without a hitch, without my signature.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks, wfb

I have edited the opening post to clarify that there is no need to go to the airport if the online sponsor system works for you. That being said, my friend had an issue with this recently... he was sponsored online and then actually onboard at the gate in his upgraded seat when the gate attendant came upstairs and demanded to know how he got upgraded. He eventually got it worked out, but jeezzz...
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:38 am

That's what a good gift letter/email with all the relevant details is priceless.

That has saved me (or my sponsoree -- back when I was a 1K :sniff: ) more than once.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by xpacific
I have edited the opening post to clarify that there is no need to go to the airport if the online sponsor system works for you. That being said, my friend had an issue with this recently... he was sponsored online and then actually onboard at the gate in his upgraded seat when the gate attendant came upstairs and demanded to know how he got upgraded. He eventually got it worked out, but jeezzz...
Ok.....I have read so much now I am confused. I am flying on 12-27 LAX to JFK. My Confirmed Regional upgrade was sponsored using the online system. My reservation shows my upgrade as confirmed and I have been assigned a seat in Business. Do I need to worry about this bluey?????? I DO NOT want to have a problem at LAX at 6:00 a.m. during the holidays. Please advise. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to FlyerTalk Starprincess
You should be just fine. If you want to take one precaution it would be this: Call UA and ensure that there is adequate information in record for the check-in agent to understand how the upgrade was sponsored. Have a great flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.