Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Information on How to Sponsor United e-Upgrades" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Information on How to Sponsor United e-Upgrades" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2004, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I should really give up on the ladies in the RCC.
I have never had a transaction go smoothly there. Its humorous in a rather sad way to see one lady squeek help to the other ladies and watch as the ladies argue among themselves.

The WONderful lady at the UA Customer Service Ticket purchasing counter outside security on the other hand was fantastic. When I said I was having problems before, she asked if I was in an RCC and when I replied yes, she rolled her eyes and starting laying into those ladies.

Anyways, to get another accounting copy, the CSR just needs to hit the button again and another will print out.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 7:41 pm

I've done the waiting list trade...

with a 1k who was on the waiting list for a international flight. I went to the counter and signed over the bluey and they were still on the waiting list. It did clear the day of the flight.

The best thing to do is for BOTH parties to look at thier account once the days travel is completed. Make sure they have pulled the correct upgrade from the other account and not yours. If there was a mistake, it is a lot easier to call MP that day to correct it than days or even weeks later.

Last edited by NCRBILL; Jun 27, 2004 at 7:44 pm
Old Jun 28, 2004, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Seat Selection

When are the seat selections in jeopardy? When the 1K first calls in to set up the connection or when they are at the airport to sign the bluey? or both ?

Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
Updated top post

Thanks everyone for your invaluable input.

I have updated the top post to reflect a number of new findings, including:
  • As NCRBILL and others have noted, it seems that UA is now allowing you to sign the bluey even if the upgrade is waitlisted.
  • UA now allows you to upgrade without signing a bluey should the receiver share the same last name as the giver (great for upgrading family members!).
  • The concept of waiting to secure the upgrade until the giver calls in has proven to be not necessary, (however this generally requires the receiver to know the giver's MP number).
  • I fixed some links that broke with the new FT BBS software
@:-) Keep your suggestions coming! @:-)
Old Aug 2, 2004, 6:34 am

A specific question regarding a potential trade: if I already have my flights ticked and upgrade with miles confirmed (NC), can I switch to a gifted SWU? How easy is this? When would my miles be redeposited into my account?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Good question. Has this happened to anyone?

What about if you are on a waitlist to use miles?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonu
A specific question regarding a potential trade: if I already have my flights ticked and upgrade with miles confirmed (NC), can I switch to a gifted SWU? How easy is this? When would my miles be redeposited into my account?
Be careful, you may lose your upgrade since UA can't even switch what account a SWU/CR-1 is coming from without having to remove and re-do the upgrade (if inventory is still available).
Old Sep 10, 2004, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Do miles or a SWU have a higher priority?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I was able to gift my SWU for a PNR which already had a confirmed UG held with miles. As the gifter, I wasn't able to make the miles become unreserved (since they weren't my miles), but I was able to tie my SWU to the PNR. I've done it twice internationally and twice domestically.

I don't know if the giftee had problems getting their miles unreserved, but the upgrades all went through with my SWU's and HK50's pulled. I imagine whether there are problems or not in large part depends on the skill and thoroughness of the ticket agent.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 1:45 pm

I recently had a similar situation as a giftee. UG confirmed with miles. Gifter made the switch, upgrades still confirmed, miles redeposited into my account. My reservation was initially on the same PNR as the rest of my family (which were and remained with confirmed UG with miles). When my reservation was switched to SWU, a new PNR just for my ticket was issued.

Originally Posted by kevino
I was able to gift my SWU for a PNR which already had a confirmed UG held with miles. As the gifter, I wasn't able to make the miles become unreserved (since they weren't my miles), but I was able to tie my SWU to the PNR. I've done it twice internationally and twice domestically.

I don't know if the giftee had problems getting their miles unreserved, but the upgrades all went through with my SWU's and HK50's pulled. I imagine whether there are problems or not in large part depends on the skill and thoroughness of the ticket agent.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
It's that giving time of year again (ho ho ho)!

Shameless bump to the top of the list
We are going to see a flood of UA e-SWU activity on the board from now thru Jan 31st, so I figured we might as well give this thread some exposure...
Old Nov 14, 2005, 9:42 am
wfb

Programs: US, UA, Hilton Gold, ex-1K
Originally Posted by jonu
I'm reporting my success with gifting an SWU when upgrade was already confirmed with passengers miles.

I called reservations and was told passenger would lose his confirmed biz upgrade if I switched the upgrade instrument. He'd go back to the wait list.

I went online to sponsor the upgrade. His flights were available for upgrading although he was already confirmed with miles. I applied the SWUs, then called reservations. Reservations called MP & removed the mileage upgrade while MP redeposited his miles. Confirmed seat was retained.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K (sob...former GS), Marriott Platinum
I have a question about this process - my best friend is a 1K and had some 1/06 SWUs he wasn't going to use, so called to upgrade an ORD-MUC (2 pax) flight. He asked about the Auditor's Coupon, and the agent told him he didn't need to do this.

I feel like, after reading this thread and others, that that's just not true. Even with a letter from my friend with his MP #, my record locator and a clear message that he's gifting me the upgrade, should I ask my buddy to request a bluey to sign at an airport in the next few days?

thanks in advance!
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If he did on the phone and not via the automated system that personally, I'd feel better knowing the person signed a bluey and asked for a note to be put in the UA comments field indicating that the form was signed at the airport. Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:13 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by DasKitty
I have a question about this process - my best friend is a 1K and had some 1/06 SWUs he wasn't going to use, so called to upgrade an ORD-MUC (2 pax) flight. He asked about the Auditor's Coupon, and the agent told him he didn't need to do this.

I feel like, after reading this thread and others, that that's just not true. Even with a letter from my friend with his MP #, my record locator and a clear message that he's gifting me the upgrade, should I ask my buddy to request a bluey to sign at an airport in the next few days?

thanks in advance!
I'm in the same boat. I was sponsered with an SWU for a trip to Thailand. My sponseree actually went to a United desk, and was told that an Auditor's coupon was not required. My upgrade just cleared so I will find out tomorrow whether I have any problems or not. He also called the 1K desk and was told again that no coupon signing is required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.