Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

E+ Window or Window with empty middle seat in 744?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

Which would you rather have? E+ has more leg room but having no one in the middle seat gives you more shoulder room...
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Depends on many factors (traveling alone, need to use lav throughout flight, is the E+ a bulkhead row). I would go with E+ for the extra legroom. Although I would personally be looking for an aisle seat for long haul (I am a window seat person for anything mid-con or shorter)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I just had this very same dilemma on my SFO-HKG vv. It can be a gamble, assuming that you will have a middle seat empty next to you in E-. I had the option of E+ and chose to sit in E-, last minute, someone was put in the middle seat... so you had 2 people who didn't get what they want. However, on the return segment, it paid off and I had room to lean against the window/wall and stretch diagonally across into the middle seat.

It is mainly a risk assessment of whether or not the flight will be full to the point of having middle seats taken.

Also, I highly recommend checking frequently within 24 hrs of departure, as upgrades may clear, and a desirable seat opens up (i.e. exit row).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would never risk a window seat on SFO-HKG. I need that aisle 'space'. E+ or exit rows, for sure.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ryder1650
Which would you rather have? E+ has more leg room but having no one in the middle seat gives you more shoulder room...
There is ZERO chance guranteed that middle seat in E- will stay open. They can still put someone there last minute at the gate.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
There is ZERO chance guranteed that middle seat in E- will stay open. They can still put someone there last minute at the gate.
+1. Go for E plus.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cruisr
+1. Go for E plus.
+ Another 1. GAs usually have more power on E+ rather than E-.

(In theory, E+ is a added-value section. So unless you pay for it, you can't sit there.)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
E+ window is worth it for me. Cannot imagine regular economy on that long a flight.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I gambled on the empty middle seat once. As the doors were closing, they boarded a 400 pound guy who headed directly for "my" empty seat. He hadn't showered or changed clothes in several days, and reeked of stale beer and cigarettes. He was exceedingly flatulent, and proceeded to slam down about six beers and fell asleep drooling on me...

Take the E+ seat.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by BWIUAFlyer
I gambled on the empty middle seat once. As the doors were closing, they boarded a 400 pound guy who headed directly for "my" empty seat. He hadn't showered or changed clothes in several days, and reeked of stale beer and cigarettes. He was exceedingly flatulent, and proceeded to slam down about six beers and fell asleep drooling on me...

Take the E+ seat.
That's nuthin'

HPD (Honolulu Police Dept) kicked a homeless guy off the island by putting him in an empty seat next to me and my wife, right before doors closed. He was drunk, smelled, and was mumbling and randomly yelling. Wife switched places with me, as he sobered up he started verbally confronting other folks, swore at a young boy, grabbed my arm. Flight attendant threatened to have him arrested after landing. Had to move himaway from the little boy, to another empty seat - across from my wife on the other aisle...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.