Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flight Zeroed Out for Cargo; F Seats Blocked- No Upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC

In one of my more wiser moments, I decided to remove a CR1 from a flight 3 days from now that was showing F9 JN9 A9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R9 RN9 IN9 I9 in the hopes of a complimentary upgrade.

A few hours later the flight was zeroed out. Since my CR1 hadn't redeposited, I called in to ask for it back, but also asked if the flight was truly sold out (it was also previously showing Y9 B9 M9)- I was told that the flight had been marked for cargo usage and that the 10 remaining seats in First were blocked off because of this.

I can understand not selling any more seats, but I was surprised to hear that they would specifically block F seats to existing passengers waitlisted for an upgrade. I thought that on mainline aircraft (in this case a sCO 737-800) the weight/balance accounted where people sat, and didn't require moving people around (or blocking seats/preventing people from sitting up front).

I hope that these 10 remaining F seats are allocated for upgraders, and that I am one of them....

EDIT- Oops! I thought I was in the Consolidated United forum- mods please move if needed.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:56 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What route is this flight?

Perhaps you should have left the CR1 in . . .
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
What route is this flight?

Perhaps you should have left the CR1 in . . .
Yes, I should have.... IAH-DCA
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:16 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Of course they will be; they need to zero it out otherwise people will go "There's upgrade capacity but not salable capacity?". You'll clear at the gate.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Depending on the flexibility of the cargo loading you may run into balance issues. If it has to be up front due to dimensions or other factors they need to get the weight out of the front of the airplane.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Flight still had 6 seats blocked during boarding. They pulled a bunch of people up front and cleared them at the last second but apparently overshot and had to send a few people back to Y. In the end there were no empty seats in F, but it was a huge cluster. Thankfully my stupid gamble paid off....
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
sadly..........whoever you talked to lied to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.