Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"I'm not going to argue with you, sir." [HPN Agent Ignores 1P Baggage Policy]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!

I'm Not Going to Argue With You Sir
A United Comedy in One Act

Scene: United's woefully undermanned check-in counter in White Plains airport.

Characters: Agents 1 and 2, both United agents, and snic, a harried traveler who just wants to get where he's going.

Agent 1: "Sir, your bag weighs 58 pounds. You'll have to remove 8 pounds."

snic: "Um, I'm a Premier Executive and ... "

Agent 2: "I'm not going to argue with you, sir. Either you remove 8 pounds or you'll have to step aside."

snic: "But a 70 pound baggage limit is a published benefit..."

Agent 1: "Step aside, please, and wait for the manager. Next in line!"

Agent 2 wanders over to deal with a different problem.

snic: Excuse me, are you the manager?

Agent 2: No, but what seems to be the problem?

snic: My bag weighs 58 pounds, which is within the Premier Executive limit, but he won't let me check it in.

Agent 2. One moment, please.

Agent 2 goes away and comes back, then whispers in Agent 1's ear. Agent 2 signals for snic to put his bag back on the scale, then prints out a baggage tag.

snic goes on his merry way, telling everyone who asked about his trip about his pleasant experience checking in with United.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 21, 2012 at 4:25 am Reason: Removed profanity and added detail to vague thread title
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I'm disappointed to hear that the agents acted so unprofessionally. I would have asked for the station manager when the first agent started being a jerk. Not a way to treat a GM or a 1P
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is a dumb question, but were the agents you were talking to at HPN employees of United? Does that airport also have Airserv agents who print bag tags and move bags around (but do little else)?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:08 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
HPN is an express station, and I never had a good experience dealing with the desk staff there. I tried to complete a sponsored upgrade transaction at the check-in desk, and they would not allow me to do so because "she is working a flight and not available for anything else", even though there were no passengers checking in.

On a separate occasion, the staff there issued a handwritten boarding pass, accused him of not checking in on-time, and botched the IDB and rebooked.

Worst in the system.

Last edited by PTahCha; Feb 21, 2012 at 7:31 am
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
There was a time, agents in White Plains were always ^

Most times, HPN agents try really hard, especially when presented with real or imagined problems. Sometimes it takes a few minutes over and above what's normal.

dh
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by PTahCha
On a separate occasion, the staff there issued a handwritten boarding pass, accused him of not checking in on-time, and botched the IDB and rebooked.
Every agent has a bad day and every system has below average stations. I just try to be empathetic to hardworking people trying to do a complicated job for little pay and high stress. FWIW, the last time I flew on AA (ex SFO) the agent hand wrote a BP.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Every agent has a bad day and every system has below average stations. I just try to be empathetic to hardworking people trying to do a complicated job for little pay and high stress. FWIW, the last time I flew on AA (ex SFO) the agent hand wrote a BP.
Agreed. Problem is not the hand written BP. The issue is the employee did not own the issue and blamed the customer, which is not right.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: CO Plat
So you got your bag on the plane and didn't have to pay anything or remove anything? You have a problem being the attitude? Welcome to new United
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Not a way to treat a GM or a 1P
Not a way to treat anyone.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 21, 2012 at 5:39 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
This is more a problem with the airPORT, than the airLINE. HPN is one of the few, if not the ONLY station I know of where the customer service is actually handled by the airport. It might have something to do with the limited number of gates, etc., there, but it's a pain regardless.

It's also part of the reason why Southwest is pulling Airtran out of there. They want their people handling their customers.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DXjr
This is more a problem with the airPORT, than the airLINE. HPN is one of the few, if not the ONLY station I know of where the customer service is actually handled by the airport. It might have something to do with the limited number of gates, etc., there, but it's a pain regardless.

It's also part of the reason why Southwest is pulling Airtran out of there. They want their people handling their customers.
I haven't read anything about this online or in the local paper. Do you have a link to an article?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I haven't read anything about this online or in the local paper. Do you have a link to an article?
The best thing I can give you off-hand is in this article:

http://crankyflier.com/2012/01/23/so...it-adds-seats/
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
To clear up any confusion:

At HPN, ramp and boarding agents are indeed Airport Employees for all airlines, except for JetBlue. (Or JetBlue has dedicated Airport Employees for their flight, I do not know, but they wear JetBlue uniforms, while all other ramp/gate agents wear generic HPN uniforms.)

At checkin, every airline has its own "native" employees. -- I believe UA contracts with Air Wisconsin, but I could be mistaken.

As far as AirTran leaving, I have doubts in the validity of the "reports" you mentioned.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DXjr
The best thing I can give you off-hand is in this article:

http://crankyflier.com/2012/01/23/so...it-adds-seats/
Oh. I thought you may have had something definitive.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Oh. I thought you may have had something definitive.
This is why I threw a qualifier (part of) in there, because I know that the airport's capacity is incompatible with their model, and that I don't receive their internal company memos, and even if I did, I couldn't divulge them anyhow. Thus, the only options I have are those that have connections to those in the know (like Cranky) or A.net---which is neither difinite, or wholly qualifiable---both of which qualify as 2nd hand information, so pick your poison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.