Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dear United: Start enforcing friggin carry-on bag limits!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear United: Start enforcing friggin carry-on bag limits!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
I liked the idea from an earlier thread (there are many) that would give the passenger, as they were boarding, a sticker unique to the day and flight that they would put on the overhead bag after putting it up. Any bags without stickers, and any bags lengthwise would be removed from the bins and given to the passengers. At that time, the passenger would be offered an opportunity to buy a bag check ticket at 150% of the normal bag check fee. Of course, bags that would fit and that had a sticker when room was exhausted could be gate checked free and a nominal rdm awarded.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't agree. Far fewer elites abusing this versus kettles. Yes, I do see elites with two bags, but they're usually sitting in F and not impacting the rest of the plane. As for kettles, you see massive backpacks and bags that can barely be lifted all the time.
Sorry but I still see Elites as the worst abusers; it wouldn't be so bad on one of the bags being large if their other bag (backpack/notebook case) would go under their seat.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Question: Is it right to shift someone's oversize bag from lengthwise to "wheels out" position, knowing full well the bin won't close and it will have to be removed after others use the remaining space with their "wheels out" positioned bags.

Or is that just being passive aggressive?

Just curious. I'm asking for a friend. Really.
That's being a jackass.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:28 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Sorry but I still see Elites as the worst abusers; it wouldn't be so bad on one of the bags being large if their other bag (backpack/notebook case) would go under their seat.
/agree. I board between 35-50 flights a week (and tag bags on many of them.) You work the quantity of flights I do, and you will see that your observation is representative of the total picture.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: exUA, WN
Originally Posted by alpinesta
Now we'll join the overhead bin wars to save the bagagge fees.
+1.

I'll be willing to volunteer to gate check before I get near the aircraft for the forseeable future. If there's not a large line to see the GA.

The only people who made any money off this change is Eagle Creek. Needed a new (larger, but still legal) carry on.

Do gate checked bags count against the fuel load like checked ones do? Thought there was a constant amount of passenger + carry-ons and then checked gets added in.

I had checked always in the past. Oh well.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't agree. Far fewer elites abusing this versus kettles. Yes, I do see elites with two bags, but they're usually sitting in F and not impacting the rest of the plane. As for kettles, you see massive backpacks and bags that can barely be lifted all the time.
Plenty of elites who are not sitting in F who are impacting the 'rest of the plane'. Hang back sometime and take a look at 1) the number of elites still waitlisted for an upgrade at boarding and 2) the number of folks well-endowed with carry-ons in the first boarding group after F (mostly elites).

I like bulkhead seating, and I have learned to scramble to board early in F to make sure my small personal item isn't at the back of the cabin.

Pet peeve: those carry-on rollaboards that 'expand' (and are packed to take full advantage of maximum expansion). Those are a problem even in a half-full plane - they won't fit wheels in or lengthwise.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:42 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
This thread is timely -- the NY Times has just posted an article on "Trench Coats, Vacuum-seal Bags, and Other Ways to Avoid Airline Fees."

It covers other strategies (like flying WN), but does comment

The fee for checked bags seems to vex passengers the most. To avoid it, some travelers stuff as many items as possible into a carry-on bag and then fight for space in the overhead bin.
Interesting (kettle-centric, of course) perspective.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by QBK
This thread is timely -- the NY Times has just posted an article on "Trench Coats, Vacuum-seal Bags, and Other Ways to Avoid Airline Fees."

"Others, like Eileen Ogintz, will drive 50 or 100 miles to [get the]... first two checked bags free."

"“I would have easily spent hundreds of dollars” getting six bags from Westport, Conn., to Denver"
Has this woman never heard of UPS?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by TomA

"“I would have easily spent hundreds of dollars” getting six bags from Westport, Conn., to Denver"
Has this woman never heard of UPS?
Um...maybe she has and knows exactly what it would cost.

I have priced UPS and USPS and I have yet to find shipping/mailing a cheaper option than baggage fees.

Last edited by chollie; Feb 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by QBK

(sigh) Just once, I'd like to see an article examining why elites/cc holders with perks don't check their bags more often.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Um...maybe she has and knows exactly what it would cost.

I have priced UPS and USPS and I have yet to find shipping/mailing a cheaper option than baggage fees.
I agree.

But my impression was that they decided to fly out with two extra people rather than pay for 6 bags with the daughter's ticket because she said that she "quickly discovered that the price of hauling the baggage across the country was almost as much as buying another ticket." Indeed excess bags beyond two are $100 each.

The first two bags on CO go for $60 and shipping the other 4 (assuming 50 pounds each) would be about $212 Fedex ground--including door to door service. No way they flew two people round trip for that much. And I'll bet the bags were not 50 pounds each, either.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
UA enforce this: If it CAN'T go into the overhead WHEELS first and allow the bin to close FORCE people to check it; NO EXCEPTIONS on wheeled luggage. Hand out "Yellow Cards" to people in 2012 explaining in 2013 your bag will have to be gate checked and if you are asked to gate check the bag more than 2 times the 3rd time onward you will be asked to pay for the gate check!
I disagree. Wheels in or out shouldn't matter. If it has to go sideways it gets gate checked.

Originally Posted by mike313
Two thoughts:

1. A few years back at security (in Chicago at least) on the x-ray machine entry belt was a frame that the baggage had to pass through to get into the machine. This helped minimize the size of baggage that could be carried on board;

2. Last November in South Africa I could not get to the check-in desk without first having my bags weighed. If the bag was over 7kg it was labeled as such and had to be checked in. And at the gate was a 2nd checker with a mobile scale just to be sure you were not cheating - and they weighed all the carry on again. If the bag was over the 7kg, they took the bag from you!
That's a real problem for some people. My laptop bag is going to weigh over 7kg and it certainly shouldn't be checked. It does fit under the seat of every plane I've ever tried it on.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:30 pm

It would be interesting to understand why some airlines have almost no limit weight for their carry on luggage, besides the size.
If I remember correctly American Airlines max weight allowed is 40 pounds! I don't think you can stuff 40 pounds of content unless all you put in there is metal. Now another airline like Transaero allows only up to 8 pounds. Why is this. The numbers just seem too far apart.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
That's a real problem for some people. My laptop bag is going to weigh over 7kg and it certainly shouldn't be checked. It does fit under the seat of every plane I've ever tried it on.
Yeah, Air Asia has the same rule, but it is not usually enforced, except sporadically in KUL.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I disagree. Wheels in or out shouldn't matter. If it has to go sideways it gets gate checked.

But those who have managed to trim their carry-on to less than 7K are going to take the same attitude towards your bag that you take in the first half of your post - basically, if it doesn't fit or it weighs too much, it gets gate checked.

Most of us manage to accommodate last minute schedule changes that put us on RJ's. A 7K carry-on limit isn't much different - inconvenient, maybe, but do-able. You just learn to really pare down to essentials - maybe 'just' the laptop in a sleeve, pick up the laptop bag at your destination, along with any cables/chargers/etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.