Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

First Time on UA in 6 years, hopefully never again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time on UA in 6 years, hopefully never again!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:32 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
But we don't know the timing of this scenario.....

Did he come on board at the same time she was starting to go around with the drink tray? Maybe she was busy in the galley setting up that tray - with her back turned - when he got to his seat and she didn't see him come on or start to settle in his seat ?. You can't expect the FA to see or know what 6 or 8 or 12 people are doing all at once while they are settling in.
I asked the same questions a couple of days ago. No answer from the OP. Multiple flight attendants, passengers boarding while coats are being hung up, passengers are being greated, pre-dptr dinks are being served. OP didn't clarify how long he had waited for his coat, how long the flight attendant was serving drinks, what part of the baoding process this was.

One needs to provide a greater level of detail when posting 1 side of an incident to allow other to have as close to a neutral and complete knowledge of the incident. One sided stories are rarely neutral, so one can make up for that partially by providing every detail possible. Much discussion on this thread, very little actual 1st hand info to draw any conclusions from.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by kyc1964
I fly SFO - HKG in C about 4 to 6 times round trip a year for the past 10 years and what you have experienced was normal for me up to about a year ago. Most of the FAs I have met are elderly with an attitude. Things have changed for the better starting about a year ago and I was wondering what have happened. I see now maybe the senior FAs prefer to see Shanghai instead of Hong Kong.
You do know that the HKG flights are operated by HKG-based FAs, right? Have been for a long time.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Why would you ask an FA that had her hands full of drinks to stow your coat? You need to think about how you approach people rather than the other way around methinks.
^^

Its funny. I never, ever have poor experiences with PMUA FAs. PMCO, I've had quite a few. USAirways East, yeesh. But never with PMUA.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fastair
You would be surprised at how many upset people can be "turned around" by an appropriate level of humor.
I agree. Unfortunately the U.S. legacy carriers have a well earned reputation for a non-acceptable level of rudeness to customers.

As to multi-tasking bellboys vs. FAs, I've been neither so can't comment which is a more difficult job. I think bellboys get quite a bit of abuse when bags 'take too long to get up' to the room.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:29 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by SFO777
On every LH flight the curtain (always solid) between F & J and is drawn immediately after take-off. And in the new LH First, this is now an even more private solid rigid sliding pocket curtain/door between the F and J.
There was a bad typo in my post (now corrected). The curtains on UA have NOT been solid since 9/11 - you can see through them for safety reasons.

Non-American carriers sometimes have slightly different standards for a variety of safety issues.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM (now flying with SQ)
Originally Posted by N1120A
You do know that the HKG flights are operated by HKG-based FAs, right? Have been for a long time.
Actually I don't know that HKG flights are operated by HKG-based FAs. Most of the FAs on my flights are Americans.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kyc1964
Actually I don't know that HKG flights are operated by HKG-based FAs. Most of the FAs on my flights are Americans.
Lots of Americans live in Hong Kong, and some of them work for UA. (I didn't know that all HK flights were staffed by HK crews, but given the fact that all of my HK flights in recent memory have been, this makes sense).
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM (now flying with SQ)
Originally Posted by moondog
Lots of Americans live in Hong Kong, and some of them work for UA. (I didn't know that all HK flights were staffed by HK crews, but given the fact that all of my HK flights in recent memory have been, this makes sense).
Interesting. Unfortunately this "HK crew" is nothing when it comes to service compared to their CX counterparts who are the real "HK crew". I will try to talk to the FAs on my next flight later this month to see where they are based.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, KF TPPS, SPG PLAT
Hi, sorry I did not see these questions earlier. In fact, I left out some details intentionally because I think they actually distract from the key point - more on that later...

I boarded very early and actually waited for about 20 minutes before the flight attendant came around with drinks (another dissapointment in my mind, but Iess of an issue). Previously I had tried to get the attention of various crew members but they seemed busy and often rushed by. Thinking they must be really busy, I thought I would just wait until they came by - after all, they are supposed to greet customers, serve drinks, distribute menus, etc. right? As others have noted, of course I did not expect her to drop everything. Nor do I think my wording or tone implied anything like that. At worst, my tone may have been neutral but I tend to smile when I talk to strangers - something UA personnel could learn. As for the rest of the flight the service was neither exceptional nor poor. I would describe it as indifferent. Definitely not "spunky" like others have suggested. More like, when does my shift end!

As for the curtains, there were none between F and C on both flights. Pretty sure this was the case as when the lights were turned on in C it became pretty bright in F even though the lights were off! I will note that there was a transparent looking curtain between Y and C.

Back to the point earlier on whether the context matters. Yes, context is helpful at times. However, I view this particular instance as cut and dry: I asked in a reasonable tone for something. The response was with an attitude. Unless I am being outright rude, should I expect anything less than a polite response?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:04 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Thnx Ech for the added details....it clears up some possible "outs" that I might have given the FA.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
100%?

I've had some longhaul HKG flights with obvious mostly Chinese cabin crews, but also some that appeared to be US based.

What about the LCC B738 flights? Are they also HKG based cabin crews?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by ech207
Hi, sorry I did not see these questions earlier. In fact, I left out some details intentionally because I think they actually distract from the key point - more on that later...

I boarded very early and actually waited for about 20 minutes before the flight attendant came around with drinks (another dissapointment in my mind, but Iess of an issue). Previously I had tried to get the attention of various crew members but they seemed busy and often rushed by. Thinking they must be really busy, I thought I would just wait until they came by - after all, they are supposed to greet customers, serve drinks, distribute menus, etc. right? As others have noted, of course I did not expect her to drop everything. Nor do I think my wording or tone implied anything like that. At worst, my tone may have been neutral but I tend to smile when I talk to strangers - something UA personnel could learn. As for the rest of the flight the service was neither exceptional nor poor. I would describe it as indifferent. Definitely not "spunky" like others have suggested. More like, when does my shift end!

As for the curtains, there were none between F and C on both flights. Pretty sure this was the case as when the lights were turned on in C it became pretty bright in F even though the lights were off! I will note that there was a transparent looking curtain between Y and C.

Back to the point earlier on whether the context matters. Yes, context is helpful at times. However, I view this particular instance as cut and dry: I asked in a reasonable tone for something. The response was with an attitude. Unless I am being outright rude, should I expect anything less than a polite response?
I had the exact same experience a few weeks ago on the upper deck of a 747 during a flight from SYD to SFO. The lead flight attendant made a similar comment, similar situation, made me feel awkward for asking if they intended to collect coats. I ended up handing it to another flight attendant who at the time wasn't otherwise engaged. Something else about this FA that was annoying was when she would speak, she'd begin her conversation looking at me and then half way through she'd do a 180 while still speaking halfway through the sentence leaving me wondering what she just said.

Personally, I've had better experiences with FAs on UA during long haul flights when I sit in Y. CO was the same way, so this merger will blend airline cultures perfectly.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:41 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Unless I am being outright rude, should I expect anything less than a polite response?
You should expect a polite response. Sorry to hear that you were treated impolitely.

As for the curtains, there were none between F and C on both flights. Pretty sure this was the case as when the lights were turned on in C it became pretty bright in F even though the lights were off!
Fair, enough!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
after all, they are supposed to greet customers, serve drinks, distribute menus, etc. right?
Not even the purser greets you by name in UA F - on others, the captain comes and has chitchats with every F pax welcoming them to the flight

UA F - predeparture drinks are in a plastic cup - enough said
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Not even the purser greets you by name in UA F
Very much a YMMV situation - I have been addressed by name many times
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, KF TPPS, SPG PLAT
Guess it is hard for senior citizens to remember people's names all the time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.