Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Difficulty in Sponsoring an Upgrade on United's Website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Marriott Plat

I am attempting to sponsor an upgrade for a couple that will be traviling to Region 2 on "s" fare next August. I had the SWUs transferred from my OnePass to my United account and attempted to sponser the upgrade but the only options that show are the mileage upgrades even though the 4 SWU show.

Am I doing something wrong?

My mistake: The fares are "v" outgoing and "W" on the return.

Last edited by Ethicist; Jan 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
An "S" fare is too low to use a Systemwide to sponsor an upgrade.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Ethicist
I am attempting to sponsor an upgrade for a couple that will be traviling to Region 2 on "s" fare next August. I had the SWUs transferred from my OnePass to my United account and attempted to sponser the upgrade but the only options that show are the mileage upgrades even though the 4 SWU show.

Am I doing something wrong?
Do you have the 2010 CO SWU's? Those were valid for any fare class on CO flights. However, if its a UA flight, you need a W or above fare class.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
The above posters are correct. Link to UA policies here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53477,00.html

However, over the past year, even for tickets booked in eligible fare clasees, I found it very difficult to sponsor an upgrade online, as I also was offered only a mileage upgrade. Had to call on all of them, and it was a real PITA.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have never had a problem sponsoring (at least 6 per year) an upgrade on line as long as the fare was eligible.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded but my mistake the fares are "V" outgoing and "W" on the return.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
.bomb being .bomb, sometimes it won't let you upgrade with instruments that you are eligible to use -- in which case, I think you unfortunately have to call it in and either pass the verbal authorization test (if they're still doing that) or go into an airport and sign an authorization form for the sponsored upgrade.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Ethicist
Thanks to everyone who responded but my mistake the fares are "V" outgoing and "W" on the return.
V and W are qualifying fares.

Just call the 1K line and get them to add your friend on the upgrade wait list using your SWU's.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:11 pm

Point me in the right direction

Is there a forum or some place on the web where I can pay someone to sponsor upgrades for my family trip on UA from IAD-FRA and FRA-ORD?

TIA

HDG
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Not on this website, as neither Continental or United allow members to sell their upgrades to others; sorry.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...forum-436.html
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by snod08
V and W are qualifying fares.

Just call the 1K line and get them to add your friend on the upgrade wait list using your SWU's.
But the OP will still need to show up in person and sign off on the Sponsorship of the SWUs, otherwise comes flight day the UPs wont clear even if the passengers are Confirmed into C (NC)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, when I was on the phone the agent said that she would do it for me but I told her that since I spend so much time there anyway, I would just stop by my friendly TA.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by craz
But the OP will still need to show up in person and sign off on the Sponsorship of the SWUs, otherwise comes flight day the UPs wont clear even if the passengers are Confirmed into C (NC)
If you mentioned you were trying to do it online, where the authorization is automatic, but it wouldn't work, they will often clear the authorization flag for you so you don't have to go to the airport, but you must ask and confirm!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by snod08
If the 1K line does this then you'll need to go to the airport and sign a form to authorize it.

Web Support can make this happen without needing you to sign anything, but in my experience you have to push to get them to...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
Web Support can make this happen without needing you to sign anything, but in my experience you have to push to get them to...
+1. Just did this last week. (for a SWU that wouldn't show on the drop-down list of instrument types on a PS flight for someone) The web support agent had me email them a screenshot of the issue while holding on the phone and then took care of it immediately. While ridiculous, I'd much rather do that then have 1Kline do it or sign the auth form at the airport as I've had numerous problems with those 'not showing authorized' when friends go to check-in.

FWIW I also see the 'instrument not showing in the drop-down' when you only have 1 instrument but the itin is roundtrip. i.e. It doesn't show the instrument if you don't have enough of them to sponsor outbound and return. Asinine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.