Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What did United lose its last domestic non-hub mainline flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Looking at the old UA flight schedule out of SEA (with destinations like HNL, ANC, JFK, OAK, SMF) got me thinking: gosh, whatever happened to domestic focus cities?

I took a quick look at the narrowbody schedule for Dec. 2011 (http://www.unitedcargo.com/ShowFiles...ember_2011.pdf) and filtered out flights that are to or from DEN/SFO/LAX/IAD/ORD. That leaves only one flight, EWR-SXM, which UA just recently picked up from CO. There are no other mainline narrowbody airplanes flying from a non-hub to a non-hub.

(The widebody schedule of course lists a bunch of interesting continuation flights, some of which are for sale, like BAH-KWI, some of which are not, like OGG-KOA).

Aside from GUM-HNL, when did UA lose its last domestic non-hub to non-hub mainline flight? What was it?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Looking at the old UA flight schedule out of SEA (with destinations like HNL, ANC, JFK, OAK, SMF) got me thinking: gosh, whatever happened to domestic focus cities?

I took a quick look at the narrowbody schedule for Dec. 2011 (http://www.unitedcargo.com/ShowFiles...ember_2011.pdf) and filtered out flights that are to or from DEN/SFO/LAX/IAD/ORD. That leaves only one flight, EWR-SXM, which UA just recently picked up from CO. There are no other mainline narrowbody airplanes flying from a non-hub to a non-hub.

(The widebody schedule of course lists a bunch of interesting continuation flights, some of which are for sale, like BAH-KWI, some of which are not, like OGG-KOA).

Aside from GUM-HNL, when did UA lose its last domestic non-hub to non-hub mainline flight? What was it?
Dunno when, but I would guess SEA/PDX.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:27 am

I'm guessing one of the last mainline non-hub flights was TUS-PHX, which UA operated with 757s and A320s as a tag to IAD-PHX as recently as 3 years ago. Certainly more recently than mainline SEA-PDX.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
With 8 hubs, do you really need focus cities?

When DEN/CLE are dehubbed (to something like LAX), you might see domestic non-hub mainline flights.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mduell
When DEN/CLE are dehubbed
Wasn't DoJ approval contingent on keeping CLE as a hub?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by mduell
With 8 hubs, do you really need focus cities?

When DEN/CLE are dehubbed (to something like LAX), you might see domestic non-hub mainline flights.
Bringing CLE up to LAX levels would be an improvement. For example, LAX has flights to SYD and HNL. With CLE, you're lucky to make it to SDF.

I would be surprised to see CLE levels get much worse; the flights are O&D to a much greater extent than other hub cities and have high yields (leaving out the EAS routes which don't cost CO anything anyway). There are few flights mainline flights out of CLE that aren't to hubs, and there are no widebody flights at all.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Joshua
There are few flights mainline flights out of CLE that aren't to hubs, and there are no widebody flights at all.
A 737 is a CLE widebody.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
A 737 is a CLE widebody.
Now the 737 service in Asia makes total sense
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa
A 737 is a CLE widebody.
Just a few years back we had CLE-LHR!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
The last flight had to be the SJU-STT route. That went away within the last few months, IIRC.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't think so, IIRC (and PLEASE don't hold me to it) there might be some sort of state or county tax break (or maybe even a penalty) at risk if CLE gets below some sort of volume.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmhua777
The last flight had to be the SJU-STT route. That went away within the last few months, IIRC.
*Bingo*

But will it be back? I believe it is a seasonal flight.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:26 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
lol nevermind...I was gonna metnion GUM-HNL after seeing the SJU STT mentioned as quasi domestic, but the OP had already mentioned that!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Starman
I'm guessing one of the last mainline non-hub flights was TUS-PHX, which UA operated with 757s and A320s as a tag to IAD-PHX as recently as 3 years ago. Certainly more recently than mainline SEA-PDX.
I don't ever remember that route in my life (well, in the last 10 years of me flying UA)
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't know, but the promise I heard was some percentage of current flights for a couple years from the legal merger date... tick tock.

Originally Posted by Joshua
Bringing CLE up to LAX levels would be an improvement. For example, LAX has flights to SYD and HNL. With CLE, you're lucky to make it to SDF.
LAX only has those flights due to geography and O&D traffic. If CLE had either of those, it would have more substantial flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.