Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

operational upgrade on a reward ticket? ever happen to anyone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, CO/UA Gold/PE

Took the red-eye last night from LIH to LAX. I got bumped b/c I was on a paid-fare through work. Mr. HP was on reward ticket. At check-in, first looked wide-open. At the gate, they called Mr. HP out and gave him the bump. Gate agent said that first had room and thanked Mr. HP for his loyalty (he's 1k). We thought this was great but were wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Must be a pretty rare occurance to not have enough elites on paid fares, but coming from HI, no surprise. Ended up taking off with 7 or 8 seats open in first.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HiggyPop
Took the red-eye last night from LIH to LAX. I got bumped b/c I was on a paid-fare through work. Mr. HP was on reward ticket. At check-in, first looked wide-open. At the gate, they called Mr. HP out and gave him the bump. Gate agent said that first had room and thanked Mr. HP for his loyalty (he's 1k). We thought this was great but were wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Must be a pretty rare occurance to not have enough elites on paid fares, but coming from HI, no surprise. Ended up taking off with 7 or 8 seats open in first.
Op-ups happen.

I also thought UA GS had this happen automatically, anyways.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
UA flights to Hawaii (but not HNL) usually are pretty light on Elites and light on F.

It's not uncommon to see non-revs up there.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, CO/UA Gold/PE
good to know. I take the SFO-HNL RT rather often and first is always booked. I guess I was under the impression that non-rev upgrades were not typically allowed.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The key is that these are operational upgrades (thread title updated to reflect so) and not UDU/instrument-supported and yes, they do happen. A few years ago, +1 (general member) was visting me in SoCal on a Saver NC award on p.s. and received an op-up into NF.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
good to know. I take the SFO-HNL RT rather often and first is always booked. I guess I was under the impression that non-rev upgrades were not typically allowed.
Non-rev can certainly sit in premium cabin, hence the term "employee class" used for first class.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:43 pm

Yes!

I was on a reward ticket from Rio-Washington DC last year in coach, and got an op up into new lie flat business!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Technically non-revs don't upgrade, they have the option of "buying" FC standby if space is available. This is rarely available on domestic F these days, as UDU ensures elites fill the cabin most of the time. It can happen on routes like SFO-HInonHNL (very elite lite) or occasionally with an equip swap on a flight that is light on elites by coincidence perhaps. There are occasional reports of flights going out with open F seats even with UDU (see thread). Happened to me DEN-SAN on the last flight of the day on a Wed last year.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Technically non-revs don't upgrade, they have the option of "buying" FC standby if space is available. This is rarely available on domestic F these days, as UDU ensures elites fill the cabin most of the time. It can happen on routes like SFO-HInonHNL (very elite lite) or occasionally with an equip swap on a flight that is light on elites by coincidence perhaps. There are occasional reports of flights going out with open F seats even with UDU (see thread). Happened to me DEN-SAN on the last flight of the day on a Wed last year.

Yeah, get a leisure market, or a business market on a non business day (e.g., holiday times). I flew DEN-DFW on a Saturday afternoon recently, and we had a non-rev FA in F. Probably wouldn't see that on a business day.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by channa
UA flights to Hawaii (but not HNL) usually are pretty light on Elites and light on F.

It's not uncommon to see non-revs up there.
Well my and the Mrs are traveling to OGG on a month and my CR-1 cleared all segments. Mrs Cantheplanegofaster? has not cleared on the SFO-OGG leg but did on the OGG-SFO

I hope you are right and hers eventually clears or else you know who will get the Y-cabin to Maui
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Gold 1 Million Miler, CX Gold
Originally Posted by TIMOS
Yes!

I was on a reward ticket from Rio-Washington DC last year in coach, and got an op up into new lie flat business!
My wife and I were on award tickets from JFK to LAX a few years ago. We got operational upgraded to business class from coach. It was a pleasant surprise asweI did not expect to get the complimentary upgrade on award tickets.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I got OP-up on award ticket LAS-ORD two years ago.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA: GS & 2MM, Marriott: Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium
Heading from DEN to SFO with my wife for a long weekend I asked to be down-graded (UDU had bumped me up to C from F on the 767) so that I could sit next to my wife in E+ (she was on an award.) The gate agent said it would be possible, but to hang tight until boarding time so he could make sure we sat together.

As the flight gets ready to board, he calls me back up with boarding cards featuring two F seats next to each other. I thanked him profusely and handed him an appreciation card.

I've run into my fair share of lousy employees over the years (as we do in any business), but I've also run into plenty of great ones. To any UA/CO employees reading this, please keep up the great work!

On a somewhat related topic, I've also been double upgraded a few times (once domestically, Y -> C cleared with UDU and C -> F due to an op-up; the other time a mechanical moved me from Y -> C with a SWU then C -> F SYD -> SFO - that was freaking awesome!) The moral of the story is, United employees do have the power to do just about anything, the question always comes down to: what are the circumstances, what kind of mood are they in, and how polite you are to them.)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, UA 1P, 1 MM, Delta, , SW, HHonors
OP upgrade to LHR for familiy of 4 on reward tickets

A number of years back, my whole family went from E to C on an op-up to LHR. Talk about pleasant surprise.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Award Tickets Op-Up BA PHL-LHR

20 years ago my wife and I got op-up from Y to C on BA PHL-LHR. We were on award tickets and no status whatsoever on BA. Y was oversold, and we were not assigned seats at check in. We had to wait until everyone else was boarded before we were handed the C boarding passes. Now, that's a real pleasant surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.