Wiki Posts
Search

EQM accrual if itinerary not completed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Exec
EQM accrual if itinerary not completed

Currently a UA Premier Exec. Departed for a MR this morning, DCA-IAH-LAS and return, same airports, reversed. Needed 3295 miles to hit 75k on UA. Late arrival into IAH due to ATC (diverted around weather cells), missed connecting flight to LAS. Was going to take later flight but that would have shifted all remaining flights forward, getting back to DCA too late to make meeting on Dec 21.

Called UA and spoke to both reservations agent and Mileage Plus customer service. They told me that since the arrival was delayed into IAH, and continuing to LAS would screw up the rest of my itinerary, she could book me back to DCA direct and still keep the EQM as if I flew the original intended itinerary, thereby reaching the 75k plateau.

Has anyone had this experience and has it worked out for you?

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
In short yes, from what I understand its called Orginal Routing Credit. I see that this is your first post, welcome to Flyer Talk. I will let out more experience Flyers whom had first hand knowledge answer from here. Happy Holidays and Safe Travels
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
ORC is possible BUT only if the change was marked as INVOL. If the change was recorded as voluntary, ORC will be difficult.

Understand the WX caused the misconnect but the circumstances you mentioned could have been recorded as voluntary -- or INVOL. It is hard to predict from your information.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-merged.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm Reason: added link
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you would most likely get trip in vain refund of the unused portions of the ticket and not EQM for the unused portions. You should get EQM for the flights you actually did take.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Exec
I should note that UA MP CS mentioned a one time exception to earn the EQM from original itinerary. Also, no offer of refund was made for unused portions of ticket.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Call mileage plus (not reservations) and ask them for "original routing credit" - by that name. Assuming that your ticket was changed with an invol notation, you should be able to receive the credit.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
An OLD thread where MP offered credit, then denied it:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...heir-word.html

There is another thread out there, but I can't find it. IIRC the OP vowed to never fly UA again, and I seem to remember they kept their promise.

I think this is a YMMV situation.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I think this is a YMMV situation.
+1.

I have 2 situations with ORC - one got it, and one denied:

Denied:

- Took a VDB and cancel the whole trip by trip-in-vain.

Approved

- Travel waiver - got rerouted. Credit not showing up for the new flights.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by garykung
Denied:

- Took a VDB and cancel the whole trip by trip-in-vain.
As it should be. You can't cancel and get ORC. Also, the V in VDB stands for voluntary. The fact that they let you take a VDB and cancel is also a mistake, but sometimes you get away with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.