Wiki Posts
Search

UA F Vs LH Bis Vs VA UC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

UA F Vs LH Bis Vs VA UC

What would you suggest for a croatia to mexico trip,

first class on a united 747,777 or 767 bird ( if so which one out of the 3)
buisness class on LH
Upper class on VA

Any suggestions on what to expect,I normally fly BF on CO so in what ways does it compare. Im 22 so i only have about 150k miles os the more i can save the better unless UA F is really worth it,heard its the MD-80 of F cabins
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Its not worth the EXTRA miles over VS. If it was same price, sure go for it, but at equal price - not worth it IMHO.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
UA and LH are the two options I know.

I think the conventional wisdom is that if you have any interest whatsoever in sleeping:
LH F
UA F 767/747/777new
UA F 777old
UA C 767/747/777new
LH C
UA C 777old

Of these options I've flown LH F, UA old F, UA new and old C. I've also flown AF C, which is similar to LH C in that it has a stupidly designed slanted bed seat.

For me (and for most people) there's a pretty big difference between any flat bed seat and any non-flat-bed seat.
www.seatguru.com has more info.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:22 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Personally, I really like the VS UC seats, the VS service, and VS lounges. Their food is OK.

I'm sick of the endless dissapointments that I have encountered for the last 8years with UA.

LH is OK but the slanted C seats aren't the best.

BTW, AC is a winner, too.

For me, VS and AC are my recent carriers of choice.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by endrond

I think the conventional wisdom is that if you have any interest whatsoever in sleeping:
LH F
UA F 767/747/777new
UA F 777old
UA C 767/747/777new
LH C
UA C 777old

Of these options I've flown LH F, UA old F, UA new and old C. I've also flown AF C, which is similar to LH C in that it has a stupidly designed slanted bed seat.

For me (and for most people) there's a pretty big difference between any flat bed seat and any non-flat-bed seat.
Note that if it is a UA 777, regardless of what the website says about your flight, there is no way to guarantee the new configuration. So avoid them.

I would categorize VA upper class below UA 767/747/777new because carrying on a rollaboard is critical to me and VA specifically disallows it. If you check bags, however, I would put VA upper class ahead of UA 767/747/777new because their club room is significantly better than the United Club.

I would also put LH C below UA C 777old for seat quality.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I would categorize VA upper class below UA 767/747/777new because carrying on a rollaboard is critical to me and VA specifically disallows it.
Not sure where you're getting info about VS specifically disallowing rollerboards. According to VS website, you can bring on two bags in Upper Class as long as dimensions of each bag don't exceed 9 x 14 x 22", which is a normal size rollerboard. Other posters have said that UD 744 storage space is limited so better to sit on main deck if you have a rollerboard carry on. I just checked a couple of threads in Virgin forum about carry-ons including rollerboards, and didn't see any posts about any non-rollerboard policy but did see posts about rollerboards being easier to bring on for main deck of 744.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:58 pm

Of the options you list UA F on the 744 or 763 (772s are not all upgraded yet). VS UC is hugely overrated. I concede the LHR Clubhouse is extraordinary, the VS UC seats are due for an update. They may have been cutting edge when they were introduced but they are past their prime. LH C is entirely acceptable, but UA F seat is much better.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by endrond

LH F
UA F 767/747/777new
UA F 777old
UA C 767/747/777new
LH C
UA C 777old

I disagree on that. More like this:

LH F A380/747/A340 new
UA F 767/747/777new
UA F 777old
LH F A330/340 old
UA C 767/747/777new
VS UC
LH C
UA C 777old

I'd probably take VS C if CO BF was good enough for me...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA840
LH C is entirely acceptable, but UA F seat is much better.
I disagree about LH. I flew in C from JNB to FRA and it was just awful. Insufficient pitch and width and uncomfortable seating position.

I would gladly fly old UA-C than C on LH.

First on LH, however, is a different matter. Much better than UA.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:25 am

Programs: Confirmed
Seat - UA F
Food - equally bad
Service - probably UA F
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKRan
Seat - UA F
Food - equally bad
Service - probably UA F
enough to justify the extra miles??

Last edited by pmlflyer; Dec 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
UA Intl F or VS J?

I currently have an award from DFW to DPS (Bali) connecting in LHR to TG F. On the TATL leg, I am currently ticketed on VS J. I also noticed a lot of award space on UA F out of ORD and IAD (all on 763s); so I'm trying to decide between the two. I've never flown either product. I know VS probably has the edge in terms of lounges (Club House vs. the IFL). But the new UA F hard product looks very impressive. I perused through the UA intl F/J meals thread and found F meals to look much better than I expected.

Anyways I'm trying to decide between the two and was wondering if any of you any insight or thoughts about this.

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by harrison1186

Anyways I'm trying to decide between the two and was wondering if any of you any insight or thoughts about this.

Thanks!

If you already paid for F - switch to F on UA as well.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by harrison1186
I currently have an award from DFW to DPS (Bali) connecting in LHR to TG F. On the TATL leg, I am currently ticketed on VS J. I also noticed a lot of award space on UA F out of ORD and IAD (all on 763s); so I'm trying to decide between the two. I've never flown either product. I know VS probably has the edge in terms of lounges (Club House vs. the IFL). But the new UA F hard product looks very impressive. I perused through the UA intl F/J meals thread and found F meals to look much better than I expected.

Thanks!
Switch to UA.

I wouldn't necessarily pay extra for it, but you've already paid for it. Get over the lounge bit; a couple hours in a lounge versus many more on the plane.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I would categorize VA upper class below UA 767/747/777new because carrying on a rollaboard is critical to me and VA specifically disallows it.
This is incorrect, my wife and I both carried normal rollerbags on a Virgin flight in UC a couple weeks ago. If you are going through London, definitely take VS, if nothing other than to experience the UC lounge, which is out of this world. (leave 2-3 hours minimum connection time)

UA F is also great - the new F, that is. Guaranteed on the 767 and 747, possible on the 777.

I think you might consider which routing is better too..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.