Search

Checking in a toboggan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Checking in a toboggan

Flying my dad on miles dtw - sea for Christmas. His carrying on one bag and checking in a shrink wrapped toboggan. It's 72" x 18". He called UA and an agent told him since he will be flying with my credentials there will be no charge to check in that togoggan. Think this will work? If not what is he looking at if they change their mind.

I've flown him twice this year on miles and both times his BP's reflected my 1K status and he was able to check in luggage free and get priority boarding.

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum
The "credentials" that matter are those of the traveler, not the individual who booked or paid (cash or miles) for the ticket.

If you perchance used miles to purchase a First Class ticket, then he likely would have experienced a similar checkin and flying experience to that of a 1K flyer, but his BP wouldn't have said "1K" unless he himself was. That is, unless the ticket was purchased in your name and he happens to have the same name, which would not be allowed.

Are you traveling together on the same itinerary, maybe?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CThomp79
The "credentials" that matter are those of the traveler, not the individual who booked or paid (cash or miles) for the ticket.

If you perchance used miles to purchase a First Class ticket, then he likely would have experienced a similar checkin and flying experience to that of a 1K flyer, but his BP wouldn't have said "1K" unless he himself was. That is, unless the ticket was purchased in your name and he happens to have the same name, which would not be allowed.

That's not accurate. On CO, award tickets reflect the status of the miles used.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
That's not accurate. On CO, award tickets reflect the status of the miles used.
Wow, really? When I've used UA miles to buy tickets on UA for family members, their personal status is what was reflected on the ticket. If this is CO policy, or one coming to the new UA, that's a change I might like!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

I'm not traveling with him. He's flying alone. Then again when I flew him twice this year both flights were on CO metal, not UA and his flights to sea are all on UA metal (dtw-den-sea). I booked his award ticket on co's website, using my OP account. I wonder what his BP will say..."Platinum" (CO) or "1K' (UA)?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Wow, really? When I've used UA miles to buy tickets on UA for family members, their personal status is what was reflected on the ticket. If this is CO policy, or one coming to the new UA, that's a change I might like!
Well, not sure if it will happen. CO knows about this glitch (it happened when they fixed a different glitch) and whether or not the new company will address it or not is to be seen.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aacharya
Well, not sure if it will happen. CO knows about this glitch (it happened when they fixed a different glitch) and whether or not the new company will address it or not is to be seen.
A few months back I booked an award ticket for my mom and she was somehow able to select bulkhead seats and her boarding pass printed with "PremierAccess" priority.

Later I looked at her boarding pass and noticed that it had my CO frequent flyer number on it -- how bizarre. I hadn't typed that in! (I hadn't typed in *any* number -- she doesn't have CO status.)

It was just an accident, so I didn't think anything of it and don't know if things still work that way.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Presuming the third dimension of the toboggan is less than 25", the oversize fee will be 100USD each way. As the total of the linear dimensions exceeds 62", it is considered oversize baggage and status apparently does not affect that fee. If the toboaggan weighs less than 50lbs, it will avoid the each way overweight fee in any instance. From 50 to 70 lbs, the overweight fee may apply depending on how the system sees the traveler. 70lb over, and under 100lb, all travelers will pay the overweight fee. IME, as a UA elite, markedly at the 1K level, travelers I booked award space for traveled on their own elite or GM status. YMMV on that. Class of service allowances pertain if applicable.

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53403,00.html

It's possible that a toboggan *might* be considered a 'special item' of ski/snow equipment but it isn't listed as such on the information page.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost seems like it would be cheaper to get a toboggan at the destination.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Baze
Almost seems like it would be cheaper to get a toboggan at the destination.
Not almost - definitely! (unless it is a self-made or specialty shop toboggan)
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by camachinist
Presuming the third dimension of the toboggan is less than 25", the oversize fee will be 100USD each way.
Unless the agent at check-in decides to let it slide.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Took a quick look on Amazon and the 6-8' quality toboggans are 189-239 no tax free shipping. Looks like the weights are 15-20lbs so light. The 'regular' ones are under 100 bucks, so competitive with the oversize fee, if levied. Problem is, if the TA sticks to the rules, options become very limited and there's always the possibility that the item will be damaged or destroyed in transit. Good luck in your decision.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Wow, that's a really big hat.

Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sulley
Wow, that's a really big hat.

Or, the laundry put a little too much starch in my cape. Would you please hang it up for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.