Search

11/29 travel waiver for ORD - weather

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
11/29 travel waiver for ORD - weather

Just did OLCI for ua907 ORD-SFO. Noticed the travel waiver mention on .BOMB homepage.
Do ORD regulars think that 907 would get cancelled as opposed to just delayed? It's the new config 767-300...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:23 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Chicago WX forecast for tomorrow (Tue):
Tuesday...Very windy and raw. Rain likely. Temperatures nearly steady in the upper 30s. North to northeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph...except 30 to 40 mph with gusts up to 55 mph near the lake. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Tuesday Night...Very windy. Cloudy. Rain or snow likely in the evening. Little or no snow accumulation. Lows in the upper 20s... Except in the lower 30s downtown. North winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph...except 30 to 40 mph with gusts up to 55 mph near the lake...becoming northwest and decreasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 60 percent

Going to be a windy one. I'd expcet inbound delays all day, which when the aircraft get turned around to leave, will also be late. As for cncls, more than likely some of the higher frequency markets and those utilizing small planes will "give up their slots" vs the bigger aircraft that fly in the conduit (hub to hub) markets.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:08 pm

The winds are currently out of the NNE at about 30 knots gusting to about 40 knots, plus fairly low clouds. The 30 knot wind is above the crosswind limits for most airliners, meaning the East/West parallel runways are excluded today. To add insult to injury, only one of the NE facing runways has a full instrument landing system(4R). They're currently using only 4R for arrivals and 4L for departures.

To top it off, several aircraft each hour have had to go around due to windshear warnings requiring them to be resequenced in the approach, further reducing the hourly rate. The FAA ground delay (flow control) program currently shows arrival delays averaging above 4 hours, with an hourly arrival rate of only 40 (down from 112 on a good day).

Its not a good day to be connecting in Chicago, for sure.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Wow, glad I went through there Monday (11/28) HKG-ORD-DEN instead of today. It was sunny, but the wind was pretty brisk. Felt it a little bit while landing, much more when departing. Chicago is just a potpourri of fun weather at various times of the year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.