Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does saver availability = inventory available in other *A partners?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond

I'm trying to snag a 1 way JFK-LAX ticket in F in January for a friend, but am trying to avoid the 70k miles and obviously get a saver seat.

I called BMI first and they see no reward inventory available at all, but UA can do a regular award for 70k miles, and said the savers would be released randomly.

So I'm wondering, if a seat is released as a Saver, does it then show up as available award inventory through other * mileage programs? I don't mind the daily checking for a little while, but its probably not worth it if I have to fight it out between all the other airlines too.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is possible - and quite common - for programs to have more award seats for members of their own program than they do for partners. If you want to verify the inventory available to partners you need to use a partner search engine. Aeroplan and ANA are the two most comprehensive options.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
if this involved more than 1 segment you could book an F award on the available one and WL for the PS flight in F and be on the FFCC list.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schley
if this involved more than 1 segment you could book an F award on the available one and WL for the PS flight in F and be on the FFCC list.
Could I book JFK-LAX-LAS in F, with JFK-LAX waitlisted and LAX-LAS confirmed? -for the same mileage, have JFK-LAX clear automatically at some point, then just not use the LAX-LAS segment?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA saver awards dont equate to availabilities on partners.

even post-merger, sometimes you can find saver on UA flights on UA site but not on CO site.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*A awards are saver awards. Don't think there is an equivalent to standard award with *A. UA would have the standard award. What airline are the miles coming from? Why did you call BMI?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
*A awards are saver awards. Don't think there is an equivalent to standard award with *A. UA would have the standard award. What airline are the miles coming from? Why did you call BMI?
Called BMI because I have miles with them like miles + cash awards, and I'd forgotten that now we can do 1-way awards on UA.

Basically my order of preference for this is: UA saver>BMI miles + cash> UA standard award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.