Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2Ps: What's your plan after the royal shaft by MP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2Ps: What's your plan after the royal shaft by MP?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by 2P or not 2P
Checked bags - never travel with more than one checked bag anyway. Not fussed by this change.
Funny how everyone is different. I consider the 100kg of free air cargo to be the biggest benefit I get. You know what 100kg of air cargo to Asia is worth?

Answer: More than my tickets cost...
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Which is the main beneficial effect (to an airline) of a loyalty program. It suppresses your comparison-shopping instinct because you're on a mission to hit 25k or 50k BIS. Make that threshold meaningless, and I bet that guy starts shopping around and flying cheaper, and UA misses his $16k.
Add to that the fact that UA has usually soaked the short haul flyer with expensive fares. Tickets to/from smaller airports tend to me more expensive than transcons as well.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by TomA
$800 PLUS TAX R/T for a 1000 mile distance?? So you're talking about a $1k fare? That wouldn't even be cheap for business class. Someone's not shopping around much...
I bought a Q Fare this year, well my departure turned into a Q Fare, it went up to $741 for the round trip. My M fare was I think close to $650 RT with only a 600mile distance
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:10 pm

Which is the main beneficial effect (to an airline) of a loyalty program. It suppresses your comparison-shopping instinct because you're on a mission to hit 25k or 50k BIS. Make that threshold meaningless, and I bet that guy starts shopping around and flying cheaper, and UA misses his $16k.
I suppose I am just lucky in a perfect storm sort of way.
1. My flights are some of the longest in the world
2. They are some of the cheapest per mile
3. CO/UA is the cheapest carrier on those routes 90% of the time.
4. When they aren't the cheapest, another StarAlliance member is.
5. It really does seem to be that CO/UA values regular business more than total dollars spent... unless those total dollars are extremely high and spent on business/first class seats.

Originally Posted by Superguy
Add to that the fact that UA has usually soaked the short haul flyer with expensive fares. Tickets to/from smaller airports tend to me more expensive than transcons as well.
This is the advantage of SWA, I suppose. I've found that when you get over 1000 miles SWA is MORE expensive than CO/UA.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 23, 2011 at 1:54 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I'm lucky enough to be hitting 1k this year so I will use that to monitor E+ seating but in all likely hood (since I'm almost always a 2P), I'm done.

I mostly fly LAX-SFO and LAX-ORD and I flew United on those because of E+, and because it helped for when I did other trips but Often I was flying more than SWA (to SFO - especially when OAK was more convenient for me most of the time) and I can try VX.

I hope United appreciates that while I don't spend TOO much I was consistently paying More to fly United between LAX and SFO 10+ times a year simply because of these few perks.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I suppose I am just lucky in a perfect storm sort of way.
It can cost nearly as much to fly from Burlington, Vermont to Wichita, Kansas on a walk-up basis as it does to fly from Los Angeles to Sydney on a plan-ahead basis. If you do a LAX-SYD every two months, you are UA's golden child. If you do a BTV-ICT fifteen times a year, you are served a [profanity removed] sandwich by UA although your base spend may be higher.

Ignore for a second the chorus of 1Ks yelping that 2Ps "aren't real frequent flyers" and tell me how that makes sense.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 29, 2011 at 7:21 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q88
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by ACVBear
I mostly fly LAX-SFO
Ugh... barely worth flying. You need a high speed rail.

Seems like you would be more likely to make status on segments. I'd be silver on segments... barely.

It can cost nearly as much to fly from Burlington, Vermont to Wichita, Kansas on a walk-up basis as it does to fly from Los Angeles to Sydney on a plan-ahead basis. If you do a LAX-SYD every two months, you are UA's golden child.
I do a long haul maybe 8 times per year and, yes, I agree with you.

...and, BTW, I consider LAX-SYD to be a medium haul flight--those aren't real frequent flyers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 23, 2011 at 1:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Ugh... barely worth flying. You need a high speed rail.

Seems like you would be more likely to make status on segments. I'd be silver on segments... barely.
agreed (I voted for high speed rail... now to see when California actually builds it)... and also agreed on the second point.

Only when work suddenly sends me to conferences do my miles shoot up (like this year).

Most years I make premier on segments (I get to roughly 30-40 segments and maybe 20k miles)
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by ACVBear
agreed (I voted for high speed rail... now to see when California actually builds it)
You can have the money the Fed gave us for a high speed rail... our governor returned the cash because he says we don't need one.

Even Thailand has a moderately high speed rail now. It's a short one, but better than what we have here in the "greatest country on earth..."
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jonman21
I totally understand that the new United needs to change the program to deal with the influx of too many elites and not enough E+ seats -

"***

In addition, I can't be the only one bothered by all the arrogant advertising campaigns United is flaunting everywhere, right? I mean, seriously. Stop treating your customers like they're stupid and boasting "You're going to like where we land" and "Put your expectations in the upright position" when you're clearly taking things away (some little, some significant) from a well-established program.
The spinmeisters who create these campaigns and the execs who approve them rarely seem to rank candor as a top priority--unless the disingenuous approach has already netted a negative economic outcome. Let's face it, there are a lot of folks who buy the BS or it wouldn't proliferate the way it does. Makes me mad as hell too, but as long as it works, they will lay it on as thick and sweet as they can.

--mcz
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm currently sitting on about 42,500 EQMs and 46.5 EQSes. I'm going to do my damndest to get the extra 7,500 EQMs but also, I think next year I might start paying a premium to fly Delta. It seems that even as a 1P (or whatever that will be called by United) flying isn't going to be the greatest so I'm going to shoot for Gold Medallion with DL. At least there as a Silver I'll be able to select exit rows at booking and have a decent shot at an upgrade
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
And I am like you currently at 44 k EQM about 60 to 70% chance to qualify for gold. If I dont qualify as gold (Prem. Exec) and remain in silver, E+ does not do anything for me. I would rather take an aisle seat over middle or window E+.

One relief is the revenue requirement has been removed.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by hyho61
And I am like you currently at 44 k EQM about 60 to 70% chance to qualify for gold. If I dont qualify as gold (Prem. Exec) and remain in silver, E+ does not do anything for me. I would rather take an aisle seat over middle or window E+.

One relief is the revenue requirement has been removed.
At 44K, its CRAZY if you don't at least do a milage run to make status. You could make Gold for less than $300... That's SA Gold, too.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
At 44K, its CRAZY if you don't at least do a milage run to make status. You could make Gold for less than $300... That's SA Gold, too.
One would have to question the sanity of it at 19k or 21k miles though.

Just got an email from CO advertising a sale on bought miles - a 30% bonus.

1P's now where some of those miles are going. And sure, kick me in the crotch and take away the important elite benefits, and THEN ask me to buy miles from you guys? That takes some serious nerve.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by mre5765
But in the mean time or in lieu of that, UA should have done something besides gutting 2P: raised the PQM requirements to qualify for 2P from 25K to something higher.
Interesting point. At 30K, I wouldn't have thought twice about doing a mileage run (the one trip definitely on my schedule for the rest of this year will leave me at about 28K, maybe 29 with Chase EQMs). Even 35K wouldn't be an issue; I've gotten close to that without trying a few years.

40K, however, would look a little ridiculous with the next tier just 10,000 miles up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.