Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Chase Visa Signature Card 1k Fee Waiver madness

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:25 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

They charge you the $95 annual fee then waive $60 of that 3 or 4 months later!?

Gee, Chase and UA, way to screw up my Quicken accounts and leave me with a credit on my credit card balance.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Gee, Chase and UA, way to screw up my Quicken accounts and leave me with a credit on my credit card balance.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Why not give it back and your books will be balanced again.....
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Personally I could not have been more pleased with the way Chase handled this fee.

My Chase Mileage Plus Select card's annual fee posted a few days ago.

I called in to ask whether United 1K members still got a partial fee waiver (or full if you signed up early enough...). The Chase CS agent confirmed that, yes they do, but the credit hadn't posted to my account for some reason. She called United to confirm my 1K status; it turned out UA and Chase disagreed about my address, which had delayed the automatic credit; and they sorted it out and promised me a credit after about five minutes on the phone, total.

The credit will post before my statement closes. Great service and a speedy resolution.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: United 1K/MM (since 2003), Marriott Platinum
I have 2 Chase United Cards -- one is use for personal and another for business but both are United Mileage Plus Platinum cards (meaning $140 annual fees on each). Ive had the accounts for 6 years+ (so im grandfathered into the full annual fee refund), but this year was different...

I was told I could only apply the annual fee credit on 1 card only. Even though for the past 6 years I havent paid an annual fee on either card. I still fighting it but am getting no where.

Anyone else out there with multiple United Chase cards and gotten the annual fee refunded for multiple accounts? I hate the fact that I wasnt told of this change ahead of time, otherwise I would have cancelled one of the accounts in advanced (credit score be damned, $140 is a good amount of $ out of my pocket).

If anyone has had any luck, or has any advice for me, please reach out.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Personally I could not have been more pleased with the way Chase handled this fee.

My Chase Mileage Plus Select card's annual fee posted a few days ago.

I called in to ask whether United 1K members still got a partial fee waiver (or full if you signed up early enough...). The Chase CS agent confirmed that, yes they do, but the credit hadn't posted to my account for some reason. She called United to confirm my 1K status; it turned out UA and Chase disagreed about my address, which had delayed the automatic credit; and they sorted it out and promised me a credit after about five minutes on the phone, total.

The credit will post before my statement closes. Great service and a speedy resolution.
I also called Chase and was told the system will generate a credit for the $60 in a few months. I interpretted that to mean after Feb. 1, 2012 when status for the new year begins.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by JWymer
I have 2 Chase United Cards -- one is use for personal and another for business but both are United Mileage Plus Platinum cards (meaning $140 annual fees on each). Ive had the accounts for 6 years+ (so im grandfathered into the full annual fee refund), but this year was different...

I was told I could only apply the annual fee credit on 1 card only. Even though for the past 6 years I havent paid an annual fee on either card. I still fighting it but am getting no where.

Anyone else out there with multiple United Chase cards and gotten the annual fee refunded for multiple accounts? I hate the fact that I wasnt told of this change ahead of time, otherwise I would have cancelled one of the accounts in advanced (credit score be damned, $140 is a good amount of $ out of my pocket).

If anyone has had any luck, or has any advice for me, please reach out.
I also have two MP Platinum visa cards and one MP Platinum Business card and starting back in 2009, Chase would only refund the annual fee for one card. I remembered that policy was posted on the 1K only website so I think you were one of the few that still had the annual fee refunded for multiple cards. In any case, I seem to recall that you can cancel the extra card within 30 days of the fee posting. Good luck.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
If you send an email through the secure message system on the Chase site requesting the refund, the credit post within a few days and usually within the same billing period.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:06 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by wilp888
If you send an email through the secure message system on the Chase site requesting the refund, the credit post within a few days and usually within the same billing period.
I will try this, but the CS rep on the phone told me in no uncertain terms that the refund/credit cannot be applied manually, after she looked up the rule.

Could be a case of hang up call back. We'll see if the email works.

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 7, 2011 at 10:17 am
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:59 am

Programs: UA MP 1K 1MM
Annual Fee Waiver - in year earned or in following year or both?

In Dec 2011 I reached 1k, requested via secure email to have the $60 fee on my Chase Signature card waived. Response was cannot be waived because the 2011 annual fee already charged in August 2011, but that "if I am still a 1k in 2012 the fee will be waived next year". Question is whether the fee is only credited "once" or if it is credited in both the year 1k reached plus the next year? In 2009 situation was similar and I was credited $60 both in 2009 and the fee was waived in 2010. I have not gone back to argue yet, for fear if only one year fee should be waived they might want to recoup the one from 2010! Any experience on this?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It was my understand is you had to be an 1K at fee / renewal time to get the waiver but they would go back a month or two --- going back 4-5 months may be a bit more than you can hope for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.