Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1K Traveling with Family with Upgrade Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K Traveling with Family with Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by neo_781
Are you sure of that? I always thought that as long as they are on the same flights it was no problem to get at least 1 companion into E+. I've never tried for more than 1 other person though.
And to elaborate on PVD's post, here are the rules:
  • GS can bring 8 "family members" into E+ and they do not need the same PNR.
  • 1K can bring 8 others into E+ and they DO need to be on the same PNR/ or they can bring 1 companion into E+ that does not need to be on the same PNR (although someone reported running into an agent who would not allow this because apparently the *profile only notes this rule for 1P/2P)
  • 1P can bring 1 companion into E+ and do not need to be on the same PNR
  • 2P can bring 1 companion into E+ and do not need to be on the same PNR
  • E+ Access can bring 1 companion into E+ and they DO need to be on the same PNR.

Some 1K's have reported getting multiple into E+ on seperate PNR's, but YMMV.

Now for the OP's question.... Don't try for the upgrade, as mentioned many of the BOS routes are tough for 1K's, let alone several companions. Remember if you split them (or book seperately) they will also lose their free baggage allowance.

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Aug 9, 2011 at 7:44 am Reason: added the baggage note.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
And to elaborate on PVD's post, here are the rules:
  • GS can bring 8 "family members" into E+ and they do not need the same PNR.
  • 1K can bring 8 others into E+ and they DO need to be on the same PNR/ or they can bring 1 companion into E+ that does not need to be on the same PNR (although someone reported running into an agent who would not allow this because apparently the *profile only notes this rule for 1P/2P)
  • 1P can bring 1 companion into E+ and do not need to be on the same PNR
  • 2P can bring 1 companion into E+ and do not need to be on the same PNR
  • E+ Access can bring 1 companion into E+ and they DO need to be on the same PNR.

Some 1K's have reported getting multiple into E+ on seperate PNR's, but YMMV.
Ah ... makes sense ... I've never tried for more than 1 person. Glad that the rules aren't confusing! ha!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What day of the week are you flying? On saturdays or perhaps even friday morning you may have a chance - keep an eye on NF space just in case.

BTW can you split a paid PNR without any additional costs? If so then definitely book all four on one pnr and split it to upgrade companions with CR1s if NF space opens up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.