Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Redeposit Fee $150 if Upgrade doesn't clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hey Folks

I was requesting an upgrade with miles for my partner SFO-BOS in order to increase the chances of the upgrade clearing.

The agent informed me that if the upgrade doesn't clear, there would be a $150 redeposit fee?

I can't seem to find anything about it on the UA Website.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boulderflyer21
....The agent informed me that if the upgrade doesn't clear, there would be a $150 redeposit fee? ...
nonsense -- agent was (in kind words) terribly confused
There is no mileage upgrade redeposit fee for anyone
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: AA-Plat./ UA-Plat.
The new rule is, if you change your mind and decide not to use miles for the upgrade before the flight, there is a 150.00 redeposit fee, however if the upgrade does not clear, there is no fee. The agent explained this to me just this week, he said this new policy is because the GS and 1K members were locking up first class availability with mileage upgrades and then when their UDU window opened, they would redeposit them, and get the UDU. Now this will prevent that happening. However the 15K one way mileage upgrade is now 20K
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks!

You are correct! I finally found a better agent.

If the upgrade clears and you change your mind (change flights or want to downgrade) then there is a redeposit fee!

All these fees make me PRAY for a DEQM so I can be a 1K again next year!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boulderflyer21
....If the upgrade clears and you change your mind (change flights or want to downgrade) then there is a redeposit fee! ....
change your flights there is a change fee
but downgrade a cleared upgrade ?? no fee (for anyone)
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by AAsuper80
The new rule is, if you change your mind and decide not to use miles for the upgrade before the flight, there is a 150.00 redeposit fee, however if the upgrade does not clear, there is no fee. The agent explained this to me just this week, he said this new policy is because the GS and 1K members were locking up first class availability with mileage upgrades and then when their UDU window opened, they would redeposit them, and get the UDU. Now this will prevent that happening. However the 15K one way mileage upgrade is now 20K
really? How does that work when 1k and GS don't pay any redeposit fees?

Sorry, something doesn't sound right here. If there's a policy change here, where is the official announcement for it?

-David
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
A collegue of mine was told the same thing as the OP by a UA agent last week. He was trying to ug ICN to NRT using his miles. He has no status. He was told he'd have to pay the redeposit fee if he doesn't clear.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by kevino
A collegue of mine was told the same thing as the OP by a UA agent last week. He was trying to ug ICN to NRT using his miles. He has no status. He was told he'd have to pay the redeposit fee if he doesn't clear.
This is total nonsense.

Some confusing UA agents at work.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by AAsuper80
Does anyone know if this is documented any where?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lax2010
Does anyone know if this is documented any where?
Note that the fee only applies to confirmed upgrades.

Originally Posted by http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1150,00.html
If your upgrade request is confirmed and prior to travel you choose to cancel the upgrade, the miles will be returned to your account and a fee may be charged.
Originally Posted by http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,50994,00.html
If you have a confirmed Mileage Upgrade Award and prior to travel you choose to cancel the upgrade, the miles will be returned to the account and a redeposit fee may be charged: 150 USD for general members, 125 USD for Premier members, 100 USD for Premier Executive members.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: UA G
Lovely. More fees. UA. So much for elite meaning something.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Grrr, just discovered that US has implemented this as well.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:51 pm

thanks for the links. 1k and GS are exempt. Premier Exec, etc are not.

-David
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:10 pm

missed this change -- could make it more difficult to cancel CR1 and drop back to UDU (fortunately 1Ks are exempt)
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JAaronT
Grrr, just discovered that US has implemented this as well.
Are you sure about that? In what scenario? US waives all redeposit fees for elites (at least some elites, that is).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.