Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Newbie 2P: Upgrade chances SFO-___-WAS, fast track promos, and ecerts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, US

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on flyertalk. I'm hoping I can get some advice that will help me, beyond the neat collection of data on udustats.com, which I've looked over. My goal is, I presume, common: choose itineraries with maximizing upgrade chances in mind. There are so many options for me, I would really appreciate advice in how to go about doing so.

I just started a new travel assignment that has me going from SFO/OAK to WAS every weekend. I did not previously have status because the travel assignment is new. I asked United if I could do a status challenge, and after speaking to a supervisor, was given a 10,000 miles in 90 days 2P challenge, but was not able to get anything more. I tried asking for a supervisor and also emailing UA MP from the website. I'm happy I got at least a 2P challenge rather than none, but it's a little disappointing having a 40,000 mile stretch of 2P coming up before I can hit 1P!

When booking my flights, I can depart SFO anytime after 2:00pm Fridays, and I prefer taking redeye overnight flights, but have booked SFO-BWI at 3:58pm several times too because it is N/S and often way cheaper than SFO-IAD or SFO-___-DCA. I have typically been departing in the evening on the 5:09 DCA-DEN-OAK flight. I prefer later departures on Sunday, but would happily change flight times for substantially increased upgrade chances.

For my outbound SFO-WAS, what times are best on a Friday for upgrade chances? (Choices that pop up most frequently are 3:58pm SFO-BWI and 11:03, 11:13, 11:59pm SFO-ORD-was). Which connecting airports (DEN? ORD? IAH? EWR? LAX?)? I've read some mixed things suggesting SFO-LAX-BWI may be a good idea, because the 757 has more seats in premium cabins, but also, I wonder if the routes I travel are so elite heavy that strategizing over upgrade opportunities is a mere exercise in futility, and I ought to just wait till after summer when I am 1P.

My preferences are first, getting upgraded on the long-haul segment, and second, equally prefer the convenience of DCA and convenience of N/S flight, but prefer not to take connecting flights into IAD or BWI unless justified by being substantially cheaper or likelier to upgrade. I'm a bit lost on how best to balance all that!

Also, I've heard about people losing miles and status for selling their RDMs online. What about buying ecerts online to use in purchasing new tickets?

Thanks!!

Last edited by calmarc; Jun 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Since having kids, I've been doing a lot of redeyes to IAD (though I'm no weekly commuter). I find I can't get enough sleep if I'm on a west coast-ORD or DEN-IAD plane. As a 1K last year, I had really good luck on 757s and 767s from LAX, and even the airbus twins out of SAN. As a low-fare 1P, I've had a much rougher go of it, not clearing any west coast redeyes this year (I was second on the list out of SEA on a 757 on Sunday). I think a 2P is not in the running for upgrades on most of these flights, especially when competing with lots of weekly commuters.

However, I can't say as my redeye experience is all that different in F relative to E+: I just upgrade to ambien and sleep across the country. As long as the flight is long enough, I'm good for the next day.

In terms of breaking up the trip, it used to be a lot easier to add segments and little diversions on transcons, but UA's added hub-hub routing restrictions that make it tougher, at least at the lowest fares. DSM, OKC, MSY, SAN, MCO used to be places you could break trips and avoid the hub-hub upgrade competition and/or save some money. I'd suggest you get really familiar with ITA and its routing language to power search for multi-segment itineraries (From: SFO:: UA UA To:: IAD UA UA will find you itineraries with exactly two UA-coded segments in each direction).
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
SFO-IAD is certainly very elite heavy, as are the DEN-IAD and ORD-IAD. Any of the hub to hub flights are going to be difficult for a 2p to upgrade.

You'd have way better chances flying into/out of BWI.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by calmarc
For my outbound SFO-WAS, what times are best on a Friday for upgrade chances?

Also, I've heard about people losing miles and status for selling their RDMs online. What about buying ecerts online to use in purchasing new tickets?
You are traveling when biz flyers do, coming to work on Sunday night and coming home on Friday afternoon. Granted, this was on CO, but had little luck geting upgrades flying those times as a Plat, and on that route you'll be extremely lucky to get na u/g even as a 1P.

As for selling, trading, buying .... proceed with extreme caution, people have been known to lose ALL miles, though it is done. And stay away from eBay, they watch those like a hawk.

EmailKid
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by AAce24
SFO-IAD is certainly very elite heavy, as are the DEN-IAD and ORD-IAD. Any of the hub to hub flights are going to be difficult for a 2p to upgrade.

You'd have way better chances flying into/out of BWI.
I find BWI to be a saturated with Star Alliance elites.

You might be happiest if you just consider "upgrades" as a 2P to be to E+.

Regarding routings, SAN-IAD doesn't seem super elite heavy. I'm not sure what fares still permit SFO-SAN-IAD routings.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Joshua
Agreed. Hoping for F out of SFO, as a 2P (or even a 1P on SFO-IAD) is a setup for disappointment. Enjoy E+, and it will make the occasional UG to F, all the more special.

And welcome to FT!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Joshua
I find BWI to be a saturated with Star Alliance elites.

Regarding routings, SAN-IAD doesn't seem super elite heavy. I'm not sure what fares still permit SFO-SAN-IAD routings.
Maybe I shouldn't have said "way" better.

But certainly there aren't as many elites as IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.