Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

...? I can't re-use a ticket I paid for on United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA / 1K & AA ExP

I bought tickets on United for my boyfriend and his son to fly on a trip, using my credit card.

They can't go.

United is telling me that I cannot re-purpose that credit for ME, claiming 'non-transferrability'. IOW - I can only use that ticket to purchase another ticket for either one of them.

That, to me, seems ridiculous. It was MY CREDIT CARD that bought the ticket. What do you mean I cannot use that credit to buy a ticket for ME?!!

Help / ideas?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Worldbuilder
I bought tickets on United for my boyfriend and his son to fly on a trip, using my credit card.

They can't go.

United is telling me that I cannot re-purpose that credit for ME, claiming 'non-transferrability'. IOW - I can only use that ticket to purchase another ticket for either one of them.

That, to me, seems ridiculous. It was MY CREDIT CARD that bought the ticket. What do you mean I cannot use that credit to buy a ticket for ME?!!

Help / ideas?
That’s true. They aren’t giving you a refund, but a certificate for the value of the ticket in the name of the ticketed passenger. These are non-transferrable. Has nothing to do with who paid for it.

Your credit card has nothing to do with it because they aren’t crediting the value back to your credit card.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:05 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Unfortunately, that's SOP for almost all airlines (it's possible that Southwest lets you do this). The only way you would have gotten a refund is if you had booked a refundable ticket, which would have likely been at a much higher cost.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by djs
Unfortunately, that's SOP for almost all airlines (it's possible that Southwest lets you do this). The only way you would have gotten a refund is if you had booked a refundable ticket, which would have likely been at a much higher cost.
I know JetBlue will allow you to apply the credit to anyone else's flight booking. but yeah, it's SOP for most airlines
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by djs
Southwest used to allow freely-reusable ticket funds. I think they have changed it earlier this year though, such that you are now restricted to the name on the fund.

OP, one way you can workaround this is to find the cheapest ticket that you can (find a route short and competitive, like SFO-LAX or ORD-STL), pay the change fee, and book a throw-away ticket in one of their names. I am not entirely sure of the UA system, but you should then get a residual voucher that can be used to book travel for other people.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA / 1K & AA ExP
Thanks!

CKpeter...that's a GREAT idea. I'll give it a shot.

Any other ideas for getting some of that $ back to me????
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:23 pm

The only possibility for getting a refund is if you keep the tickets active (assuming you haven't cancelled the reservation at this point), and hope that there is a schedule change or flight cancellation that will allow you to get a full refund.

Otherwise, since you bought a non-refundable fare, it is non-refundable.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the UA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

They can't go.

Help / ideas?
Sorry - But, I'm presuming that you bought a discounted ticket which does not permit refunds or changes. If that's the case, the best you get is a credit which each booked pax can use toward the value of another ticket within one year. There are more expensive fares which would allow for a full refund (to your credit card) allowing you to purchase whatever you want or save the money.

The residual value route probably will not work and you should check in advance that it will before you engage in it. You risk losing the credit you have at least built up for your boyfriend and his son.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Doesn't matter who bought the tickets, they are only good for the name of the person on the ticket. You can't use them for you to fly someplace.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You bought a non-refundable ticket and thus the residual amount must be used by the person the ticket was issued to. This has nothing to do with who paid. When you buy a non-refundable item that's what it means. Airlines tickets are issued in specific names and are not transferrable. Ergo, only they can make use of the refund credit. See this as a life lesson!

Also, did you know that when they checked in, you'd have to be at the airport with them to show the credit card you used to pay for these tickets?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I think the airline does this to ensure that tickets aren't resold on the open market..

Same thing with reward tickets..

Airlines are cracking down on the black market.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Shareholder
You bought a non-refundable ticket and thus the residual amount must be used by the person the ticket was issued to. This has nothing to do with who paid. When you buy a non-refundable item that's what it means. Airlines tickets are issued in specific names and are not transferrable. Ergo, only they can make use of the refund credit. See this as a life lesson!

Also, did you know that when they checked in, you'd have to be at the airport with them to show the credit card you used to pay for these tickets?
Not so. UA (and other US carriers operating in the US) do not generally require that the credit card used to pay for the ticket be produced at the airport. In rare occasions where the transaction is flagged for one reason or another, the carrier will contact the card owner and offer the option of coming to the airport or providing better information. This has been the case in the USA for over 25 years.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Could OP buy full refundable tickets with the unused credit, and then get those refunded?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a great idea which will not work. Any residual value will be issued in the name of the original passenger and is non-transferable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.