Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E+ Upgrade Seating refund

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

E+ Upgrade Seating refund

I'm a lowly GM (down from 1P last year) and needed a short-notice SFO-ORD RT for a bereavement situation. UA's compassion fare 10% discount wasn't particularly appealing so I used MP miles. The return date was uncertain and I ended up changing it twice. No fee to change the return flight, but I paid to upgrade the return to E+. Once for the original return, again for the second, and a third time for the third return date. The final one was to "Premier Access" which included checked baggage fees (I miss my 1P/2P-ness). I filed for refunds but haven't heard anything in about 11 days. When I changed the flights thru the ICC (always a joy), the CSR said I couldn't transfer the E+ buy-up but could request a refund. (Of course, I can request ANYTHING, but that doesn't mean that I'll get it.) I understand the T&C says non-refundable for customer-initiated changes, but am I just SOL.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As you mention, the T&Cs are clear on this BUT if you have not, mention the reason for travel & changes. UA does have a hsitory of waiving other non-refundable items under some circumstance http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old May 24, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I got a refund of E+ access that I had bought for my family once, but I had a schedule change (and the GS desk) to help.
I think the non-refundability is absurd. I suspect (with no evidence) that it's only because of a United IT limitation.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

How best (& when) to follow-up? The refund request confirmation email said 7-10 business days (orig request was May 13 so 10 bus. days would be May 27) and they'll send a follow-up email. I submitted the request thru united.com/refunds but I don't have any reference number associated with the refund request itself. It wasn't a ticket so there's no ticket number, but I submitted the payment receipt numbers. I stated that it was a bereavement situation but there wasn't an opportunity to submit any supporting documentation thru the website or go into any detail. Plus it was an award ticket, not a compassion

It may be further complicated because I submitted two requests: one after the first change and another after the second change. The second superseded, not supplemented, the first. But there was only 150 characters in the explanation field and with all the receipt numbers, there wasn't room to elaborate.

I also mistakenly requested the $5 tax back. I thought (incorrectly) that I was double charged for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.