Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United forcing to gate check a bag to destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United forcing to gate check a bag to destination

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:28 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by StingWest
Didn't they used to have a template of sorts on the security X-ray belt that was a rough sizer of sorts? It served to weed out the grossly over-sized bags - at least in the thickness dimension.
Yes, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...templates.html and in 2000, CO sued to have them removed as back when airlines controlled the checkpoints at most airports, they stated that they did not want them and it also impacted their customers. One flaw with thme (if they were to come back) is that now you remove most laptops, and that reduces the final size of the bag to less than what it would be if the laptop was in in (when bag is filled to/near capacity.) http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...A9669C8B63They also only measured (2) of the (3) dimensions. There was a company that made laser sizers that would scan the bag and show actual dimensions, but that never really took off.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Yes, the undercurrent of anger is annoying - probably a side effect of one or more of the following:

(a) the airlines are attempting to squeeze every last nickle out of us one at a time by charging for each little thing separately (although I must say that charging for checked bags is not as underhanded as the so-called "fuel surcharge")

(b) passengers, in response to (a), are trying to fight back, save money, and push the envelope of what's deemed an acceptable carry-on.

(c) a result of (b) is that the giant overhead bins fill up fairly quickly, penalizing the flyers who attempt to play by the rules by packing light, and only paying the checked bag fee when necessary.

(d) the FAs, with the strong incentive to get the flight out on time, often err on the side of making more people gate-check bags than are necessary, sometimes even making entire boarding groups gate-check.
---

For me, anyway, it is infuriating when I see someone drag a giant bag on, stow it sideways in a 777 overhead, thereby taking up space for two bags. This is the image that comes to mind when I read the exchanges under this topic, and it's the me-first attitude of that minority of people that irks me to no end.

(but don't ask me how I really feel
Since I never have to pay for checked baggage, there is only one thing that infuriates me: The capricious enforcement evidenced by the treatment of our OP here and the numerous other occasions that I have witnessed or been a victim of such.

I will say that on the 8 CO flights that I have taken so far this year, not one GA has requested that I gate check my bag. So, in that regard, CO is far better than UA since their standards of enforcement are, IME, more consistent.

I, unlike you, don't get upset with the steerage pax trying to bring onboard as much as they can get away with because the majors created this problem when they started charging for the first checked piece. Airline travel is becoming more expensive and who can blame the ordinary Joe/Jane for trying to save money by not checking a bag? WN is very successfully marketing their airline as the reasonable airline that allows free checked baggage with their "Fee Court" commercials where they find major airline executives guilty of gouging. Wall street airline analysts have indicated that this campaign has some traction with the public and WN loads are up. The majors value their elites and, for the most part, treat them very well, but they cannot survive without the non-elite flyers, so they had better be careful that they don't milk the cow dry!

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 17, 2011 at 11:33 am
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by fastair
That 12-year old (!) thread is amusing! And I guess the length of the bag is at least as important as the other dimensions - it's what determines whether the bag fits wheels-first or has to be turned sideways.

Virgin American, in addition to their humorous "Your Bag May be Impressive, But..." signs, has an interesting policy - they often let people board first who have only a small under-the-seat bag and no rollerboard. Status means nothing on Virgin as far as boarding, just where you're sitting. I did notice a lot fewer carry-ons than on United flights, so it really didn't matter when I boarded - no problem in finding overhead space.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Might also be good to remember that the bag about to-be-force-checked can contain items not allowed in checked luggage such as loose batteries.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm
Unfortunately they probably would simply make you carry on the offending batteries and check the rest of the bag.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by fastair
Yes, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...templates.html and in 2000, CO sued to have them removed as back when airlines controlled the checkpoints at most airports, they stated that they did not want them and it also impacted their customers. One flaw with thme (if they were to come back) is that now you remove most laptops, and that reduces the final size of the bag to less than what it would be if the laptop was in in (when bag is filled to/near capacity.) http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...A9669C8B63They also only measured (2) of the (3) dimensions. There was a company that made laser sizers that would scan the bag and show actual dimensions, but that never really took off.
Length is the major problem (with width being a distant second), not thickness. I have yet to see a bag so fat that it wouldn't fit in the overhead of a mainline jet, yet I have seen plenty that wouldn't fit lengthwise, thereby reducing the number of bags that could be placed in a bin. Only very rarely have I seen a bag that was wider than normal which could also decrease the number of bags in a bin. What is great about my bag is that it has a very stiff internal hard frame which just barely allows the zippered flap to close, thereby making it impossible to expand the bag beyond the dimensions of the internal frame. This bag even fits well on the CRJs and easily under the seat of the small Embraers because it has a half-moon profile instead of the normal rectangular profile.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 17, 2011 at 11:21 am
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Since I never have to pay for checked baggage, there is only one thing that infuriates me: The capricious enforcement evidenced by the treatment of our OP here and the numerous other occasions that I have witnessed.

I, unlike you, don't get upset with the steerage pax trying to bring onboard as much as they can get away with because the majors created this problem when they started charging for the first checked piece. Airline travel is becoming more expensive and who can blame the ordinary Joe/Jane for trying to save money by not checking a bag? WN is very successfully marketing their airline as the reasonable airline that allows free checked baggage with their "Fee Court" commercials where they find major airline executives guilty of gouging. Wall street airline analysts have indicated that this campaign has some traction with the public and WN loads are up. The majors value their elites and, for the most part, treat them very well, but they cannot survive without the non-elite flyers, so they had better be careful that they don't milk the cow dry!
+1 on both counts.

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
"I am sorry, that rollaboard contains an urn with the cremated remains of my wife. We're going to fullfil her last wish and sprinkle it into the waters of the Strait of San Juan de Fuca tomorrow, and I am sure you understand that I cannot let that bag out of my hands."
Originally Posted by Horst1
I will forever use this one! Thank you for a morning laugh!

I am sympathetic to the OP's problem, and to the attempts of subsequent posters to find creative solutions for passengers to avoid having their bags unnecessarily checked in the future. But please don't make this the fib of choice for FTers looking to keep their carry-on luggage with them. The fact is that there are people, every day, who have the unfortunate task of boarding a plane with cremated remains of a loved one. Perhaps not necessarily in a rollaboard, or going to the Strait of San Juan de Fuca, but it is a real life situation that is tremendously difficult, and sometimes does require an extra measure of accommodation from airline and airport personnel. Accommodation which is going to be harder to come by in the future if "I'm carrying cremated remains" becomes the airline version of "The dog ate my homework."

I realize no harm was intended by the post; just consider this a gentle PSA from someone who's been there, done that.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
And I shouldn't complain about airline meals since there are people starving in India...
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:07 pm
Suspended

On Saturday, April 9, I flew on the last flight of the night from ORD to EWR. The GA aggressively gate checked bags. As soon as I turned from the jetway to the boarding aisle, I could immediately tell there were multiple bins completely empty. Not partially empty, mind you. Multiple bins completely empty. The customer in front of me (and me) both tried to grab our bags but they were already down the shoot. We complained to the FAs and they apologized profusely once we were in the air. The FAs even offered us free drinks. They said it was completely up to the GA (even though the GA said that the FA told them the bins were full).

But, the FAs admitted there were four bins that were completely empty and many other bins only partially empty.

Complete disgrace.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:56 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
A little bit dated, but still appropriately accurate and a good historical perspective. http://www.thetravelinsider.com/trav...allowances.htm
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
The FAs can't know what they can't see

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
On Saturday, April 9, I flew on the last flight of the night from ORD to EWR. The GA aggressively gate checked bags. As soon as I turned from the jetway to the boarding aisle, I could immediately tell there were multiple bins completely empty. Not partially empty, mind you. Multiple bins completely empty. The customer in front of me (and me) both tried to grab our bags but they were already down the shoot. We complained to the FAs and they apologized profusely once we were in the air. The FAs even offered us free drinks. They said it was completely up to the GA (even though the GA said that the FA told them the bins were full).

But, the FAs admitted there were four bins that were completely empty and many other bins only partially empty.

Complete disgrace.
I can believe the FAs honestly thinking the bins were full if it was a flight like my IAD-SFO a few weeks ago, where a number of passengers were placing their bags in the first available bin space and then went back to their seats, at the back of the plane, where there was plenty of empty space. It delayed our departure as passengers boarding who were near the front had to put their bags at the back and then swim against the tide as people were trying to board.

There's no automatic system that tells the FAs there are empty bins in back, and if they see boarding difficulties due to full bins up front, how do you expect them to know there's space? Cut them a bit of slack. They're not intentionally trying to mess up your day and gate check your bags. They're trying to get a plane off the ground as quickly as possible.

And like you said, the FAs even offered you drinks. They likely did so because they felt bad about acting on information that wasn't quite right.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Apr 18, 2011 at 1:59 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I can believe the FAs honestly thinking the bins were full if it was a flight like my IAD-SFO a few weeks ago, where a number of passengers were placing their bags in the first available bin space and then went back to their seats, at the back of the plane, where there was plenty of empty space. It delayed our departure as passengers boarding who were near the front had to put their bags at the back and then swim against the tide as people were trying to board.

There's no automatic system that tells the FAs there are empty bins in back, and if they see boarding difficulties due to full bins up front, how do you expect them to know there's space? Cut them a bit of slack. They're not intentionally trying to mess up your day and gate check your bags. They're trying to get a plane off the ground as quickly as possible.

And like you said, the FAs even offered you drinks. They likely did so because they felt bad about acting on information that wasn't quite right.
Every flight that I have been on has had FAs traversing the entire plane throughout boarding keeping an eye on the boarding progress as well as the status of the bins.

Contrition, while indicating a guilty conscience, by no means makes their actions any less egregious. Trying to buy someone's complacency with free liquor is unprofessional.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by zombietooth

Contrition, while indicating a guilty conscience, by no means makes their actions any less egregious. Trying to buy someone's complacency with free liquor is unprofessional.
Contrition seems to work for me (at home), but the use of liquor has had mixed results.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:22 am

Contrition seems to work for me (at home), but the use of liquor has had mixed results.
Agreed on both points!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat
This happened to me last night in Newark... As I'm boarding with my roll aboard that I always place in the bin, agent singled me out and said the bag had to be checked. I asked if the bins were full already (I'm in boarding group 2) and the agent said no, the bag was just too big. I explained that I always am able to fit the bag into the bin with room to spare, and the agent wouldn't relent. After I argued a little more he said I could try it in the bag sizer and if it fit, I could bring it on... So I try it and it fits perfectly into the sizer and he still said it had to be checked. I thought this was absurd and I brought the bag down the jetway with me, but I tore off the tag and put it up in the bin anyway as usual.

Just curious why the agent would single me out and do this for no reason? Not only did he insist on checking the bag for no apparent reason, but he was quite combative and aggressive about the whole situation. Is there any policy that they are following here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.