Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

London out of practice with UA747 - first UA747 there in many years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver

This morning I was on the first UA747 out of LHR in a long time (upstairs in C with just 8 other people - very quiet and spacious) and i have to say it was great to see one there again.

But we were delayed by about 40 minutes because the ground crew were unfamiliar with loading cargo onto a 747 and took longer than expected. The explanation was that this was the first Jumbo in Heathrow for many years.

Does anyone know when the last one was there? What route did it fly (SFO I imagine?)
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
This morning I was on the first UA747 out of LHR in a long time (upstairs in C with just 8 other people - very quiet and spacious) and i have to say it was great to see one there again. But we were delayed by about 40 minutes because the ground crew were unfamiliar with loading cargo onto a 747 and took longer than expected.
You were delayed departing 21 minutes and arrived 2 minutes early.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
is that what was said over the intercom while waiting to depart?? pretty poor excuse really. But nonetheless, hoping to jump on one of them this summer out of LHR.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
The explanation was that this was the first Jumbo in Heathrow for many years.
Maybe for UA and/or T1, but quite a few 747's fly in and out of LHR on a daily basis. BA has 57 in their fleet that use LHR as their home base, not to mention flights in and out from other carriers.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:41 pm

I take it this was LHR-ORD? Both the SFO flights are showing 777, wonder why they don't use a 747 on this route.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Certainly it's true that we haven't had a UA 744 for several years. Of course they used to be regular visitors back in the day, but it is still nice to see one back for a while.

I still have fond memories of being upgraded to F on Christmas Day and finding that the pilots wife and I were the only two F passengers that day!^
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
I have no actual knowledge of this but...

Aside from IRROPS, maybe UA is working on getting some higher capacity ACs on this route pre-London 2012 Olympics/Paralympics. I know there is a lot of traffic headed to and from LHR these days with test events taking place around London in prep for the Games and UA has partnered with the IOC and USOC in previous years.

Always love flying upstairs in C. Just wish they'd make the storage boxes on the window seat bigger so that you could actually put something bigger than a small briefcase in there.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Plat+Amb, AA
I believe that from Oct 2011 SFO-LHR will be a 747. Unfortunately this downgrades the IFE in E/E+.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:16 pm

I just booked travel for next week and was quite surprised to see the early LHR-ORD flight being served by a 744. Evidently they're onto something, because I booked full fare C (already exhausted this year's SWUs) and there were only 4-5 empty seats. I was able to snag the last seat upstairs.

I often try to upgrade this route, so I'm quite happy to see the big birds as I imagine it will help upgrade chances.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Regular 747 service ended November 25, 2008 (KSFO-EGLL), but there was a one-off on April 23, 2010 (KORD-EGLL).
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:36 pm

I flew in a 747 into LHR from ORD in Dec 2010, it was an equipment change the day after Heathrow reopened after the snow closure
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Last UA 747 into Heathrow for me was SFO-LHR in Sept. 2006
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by richk_30
Maybe for UA and/or T1, but quite a few 747's fly in and out of LHR on a daily basis. BA has 57 in their fleet that use LHR as their home base, not to mention flights in and out from other carriers.
Air New Zealand and El Al fly at least one daily 747 each into T1 - same gates as UA uses.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Air New Zealand and El Al fly at least one daily 747 each into T1 - same gates as UA uses.
Not necessarily the same ground handlers, however
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
I flew on a 747 from LHR to IAD after the Buncefield explosion in 2005:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...a-flights.html

They were using 747's to carry fuel to LHR because there was a shortage of jet fuel at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.