Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flight not open for check-in (2011/12 Edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond

I just tried to check in for my flight tomorrow from GEG-DEN-EWR (UA 828). At the bottom of the screen, it says 'Please see a United Representative at the Airport for Check In' . I have read here before that this usually means there has been an equipment swap. So, I decided to go to unitedcargo and see what aircraft is operating the flight (I assumed it had been downgraded to an A319). But to my surprise, it says '747'. Why would United need a 747 from DEN to EWR? Help clear out some of the passengers from the storm a couple of days ago? Or could it just be a glitch?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cuse44
Why would United need a 747 from DEN to EWR? Help clear out some of the passengers from the storm a couple of days ago? Or could it just be a glitch?
Might have been a glitch - UA 828 on 1/2 is showing an A320 now.

But yes, they may have been ferrying extra passengers out of the east coast airports. Other threads have mentioned that a 747 flew some p.s. flights ex. JFK last week.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Might have been a glitch - UA 828 on 1/2 is showing an A320 now.
The thing that is strange is on the "Flight Status" tab, it is still showing a '747' as the aircraft. However, on the "Flight Schedule" tab, it is showing an A320. Since I am not too familiar with the United Cargo website, is there a reason why one is different than the other?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I just went to print my boarding passes and got the "Flight not open for check in." message. I called 1K Voice, who transfered me to Web Support. They said that there is an equipment change, and that my seat may no longer exist, and that they could not help because it is under airport control (Flight's tonight), and to check in when I get to the airport.

I am connecting, and the airport I will start at is usually clueless about everything, I hate landing in ORD and running to a gate not knowing what to expect.

United cargo shows a blank for the equipment type. KVS just says 777, and its F3 Y1 right now.

When I booked it, it was a 3-cabin old config and I used a CR1 to upgrade to C.

The new 777 still has the same seat, but the other old 3-cabin does not, and the domestic 777 does not. I am frustrated as I only booked this particular flight because of the C cabin and availability at the time of booking to use a CR1.

Any clue on what to expect, or how to find out whats going on?

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, Marriott
Any insights into why I got "checkin unavailable" for UA 847 SFO-IAD tomorrow 2/25? My Res seat map still shows a 763 and my seat assignment intact. Dummy booking shows F0 Y0. United Cargo shows 67I. Maybe oversold and sent to airport control already?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by happysolti
Any insights into why I got "checkin unavailable" for UA 847 SFO-IAD tomorrow 2/25? My Res seat map still shows a 763 and my seat assignment intact. Dummy booking shows F0 Y0. United Cargo shows 67I. Maybe oversold and sent to airport control already?
You answered you own question . Your a/c appears to have been swapped from a 2 cabin 67 to the 3 cabin 67 (the one with lie flat F & C seats^) Your itin will not change to show the new configuration and OLCI will be locked until the swap is completed in the system and should open a few hours before departure. If it doesn't open, get to the airport early and see you can check-in via one of the chickens. If you can't use a chicken, check with one of the lobby agents before heading to the gate as with a swap like this, the gate will be nutz as you lose roughly 60 seats. If you can't get a seat assignment from a lobby agent, get to the gate early and "hope for the best" on seat assignments but n.b. imho, this is a sweet VDB opportunity if your schedule permits
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by goalie
You answered you own question . Your a/c appears to have been swapped from a 2 cabin 67 to the 3 cabin 67 (the one with lie flat F & C seats^) Your itin will not change to show the new configuration and OLCI will be locked until the swap is completed in the system and should open a few hours before departure. If it doesn't open, get to the airport early and see you can check-in via one of the chickens. If you can't use a chicken, check with one of the lobby agents before heading to the gate as with a swap like this, the gate will be nutz as you lose roughly 60 seats. If you can't get a seat assignment from a lobby agent, get to the gate early and "hope for the best" on seat assignments but n.b. imho, this is a sweet VDB opportunity if your schedule permits
Thanks for the reply. That's what I expected, but I (obviously) don't know all the UnitedCargo codes yet. Got to the gate and found a cleared list 54(!) names long. That's the good news.

Bad news is...still sitting here in SFO looking at a 4+ hr delay due to Mx. Hmmm...good choice to swap a/c.

Really good CS agent at Gate 80 helped me get protected on the redeye just in case and called IAD to arrange for hotel voucher when I get there. I don't have one of those happy comment chits with me...know if I can pick one up anywhere at SFO? Otherwise I'll email UA CS with her name.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: US Chairman
I'm having some issues checking in for my flight tomorrow. Went to OLCI, and was able to get the BP for my first flight only. At the bottom of the screen, under the Passengers who are checked in, it has my name and US number and seat assignments. Under status, the first flight (7784 Ric-Iad) has the words "Checked In" with a green circle/checkmark icon to the left of it. My second flight (6020, Iad-Syr) only has "Checked In" underneath (with no icon), and then under that there is a hyperlink that says "Cancel check-in".

Does anyone here have a suggestion on what I need to do to get my other BP? Is there a number I should call? (I'm *G if that helps)

Thank you!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by RIC Hokie
I'm having some issues checking in for my flight tomorrow. Went to OLCI, and was able to get the BP for my first flight only. At the bottom of the screen, under the Passengers who are checked in, it has my name and US number and seat assignments. Under status, the first flight (7784 Ric-Iad) has the words "Checked In" with a green circle/checkmark icon to the left of it. My second flight (6020, Iad-Syr) only has "Checked In" underneath (with no icon), and then under that there is a hyperlink that says "Cancel check-in".

Does anyone here have a suggestion on what I need to do to get my other BP? Is there a number I should call? (I'm *G if that helps)

Thank you!
Similar issues being discussed in this thread. I don't know if your airports support mobile check-in but if they do, you can try this as it wokred for me on Monday for Tuesday's flights:

E-mail the bp's to your phone. When I sent/e-mailed mine to my phone, both electronic BP's were there and viewable (SFO-DEN [which printed] and DEN-MIA [not printable due to the current "issue"]). After that, you can re-hatch your bp's at an airport chicken or have a lobby agent do it for you but if mobile check-in is not available for your airport, you are still checked in and simply visit a chicken and/or an agent at the airport.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
UA2 HNL-ORD flight not open to check-in

First time seeing this: "Flight not open to check-in."

UA 2 HNL-ORD March 17.

Flight is departing in T-16hrs and has not been opened. Here's the message:

"Online check-in for your flight is not currently available. Please try again later or check in with a United Representative or at an EasyCheck-inŽ kiosk at the airport."

Upgrade cleared at T-48hrs, but plane just sold-out seats Today. Anyway, getting a little concerned since F0 Y0. Wondering if it's an aircraft substitution, flight cancellation (even though flight status is on time) or what else can be happening.

Last edited by 1KHI; Mar 17, 2011 at 5:14 am
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Probably an aircraft substitution.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Can you check the flight status of the inbound aircraft?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by rubenj
First time seeing this: "Flight not open to check-in."

UA 2 HNL-ORD March 17.

Flight is departing in T-16hrs and has not been opened. Here's the message:

"Online check-in for your flight is not currently available. Please try again later or check in with a United Representative or at an EasyCheck-inŽ kiosk at the airport."

Upgrade cleared at T-48hrs, but plane just sold-out seats Today. Anyway, getting a little concerned since F0 Y0. Wondering if it's an aircraft substitution, flight cancellation (even though flight status is on time) or what else can be happening.
What was your original equipment and fwiw, Unitedcargo flight schedule is showing a 777 and I was able to pull up a seat map doing a dummy full-f purchase and it shows that it is a 2 cabin 777.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
What was your original equipment and fwiw, Unitedcargo flight schedule is showing a 777 and I was able to pull up a seat map doing a dummy full-f purchase and it shows that it is a 2 cabin 777.
Thanks goalie, BlueZebra, CPMaverick. Flight just opened and was able to check-in. Flight is a 777, and the same aircraft type was scheduled (so no substitution).

Flightstats still show F0 Y0, so crossing fingers for a VDB.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:03 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I ran into the same thing yesterday at DEN using the kiosk check in, due to a equipment swap that was going on right at that moment (320 to a 319). Even the agent couldn't check me in so I was given a Security Pass to get airside and received my boarding pass at the RCC. Luckily I retained my 2B seat.

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Mar 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.