Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New interim ad campaign + some details of brand "look"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New interim ad campaign + some details of brand "look"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
E+...

Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Lots of new-branding ads in this month's Hemispheres.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
E+...

OMG, are they serious? "Explore Space?" I think this agency needs to get put under review STAT!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
I am dumbstruck as to why they chose CO's crappy agency over UA's awardwinning and proven agency... seriously crazy-

and that turquoise background looks hideous. I could design something like that for free!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Mariott Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
E+...

Ugh, yuck.

For comparison, I still remember the first time I saw this on TV: http://vimeo.com/1515767

Enough said.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tomasem
Ugh, yuck.

For comparison, I still remember the first time I saw this on TV: http://vimeo.com/1515767

Enough said.
I always enjoy watching those commercials! ^
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by zaken
The new United hasn't decided which are the most important groups to consider: Shareholders, Employees or Customers.
As long as they haven't made that decision, both employees and customers are suffering, while the shareholders are being sold a million stories on the new brand.
Legally, UCH executives are obligated to put the Shareholders first. That's how companies work in a capitalist economy, under US law. Anybody who thinks the merger priority is for customers or employees is either naive, or has been brainwashed by PR-speak, HR-speak, or Union-speak.

UCH is following the Delta playbook. Start painting the "other" airline planes ASAP. I saw a UA A320 in SEA yesterday in the new-UA (old-CO) colors and logos, with UNITED on the side. My A319 was still in Tulip livery but I expect it to be repainted soon. I'll guess they'll do something with interim ATC callsigns, like "Northwest in Delta Colors" was used with Ground, Approach, Departure communications. Probably "United in Continental Colors" even though it says "UNITED" on the side, because it visually is otherwise identical to legacy-CO.

They're doing a better job than NW/DL by making "Customer Day 1" a defined date.

DL/NW improved greatly on the still-horrible US/HP merger. UA/CO is doing even better than DL/NW did. Acquiring (or functionally controlling in "merger of equals" like Daimler in DaimlerChrysler, or our SMI/J as CEO with Tilton pushed to nonexecutive chairman) company gets to pick the colors, logos, branding, advertising, etc. Time to move on, folks - the corporate merger has happened, the branding decisions have been made, the new branding is already rolled out, Customer Day 1 is about T-77, and single-certificate is about T-400.

No Tulip, No Saul Bass, No Impressionism. Sorry, it's a done deal.

Anybody who leaves UA because of paint and ads is nuts IMHO. If nuUA blows it on customer service, fares, safety, FF program changes, hard product, soft product IYHO, then sure, leave for someone else. But for BRANDING? That's Crazy Talk!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkXS
Legally, UCH executives are obligated to put the Shareholders first. That's how companies work in a capitalist economy, under US law. Anybody who thinks the merger priority is for customers or employees is either naive, or has been brainwashed by PR-speak, HR-speak, or Union-speak.

UCH is following the Delta playbook. Start painting the "other" airline planes ASAP. I saw a UA A320 in SEA yesterday in the new-UA (old-CO) colors and logos, with UNITED on the side. My A319 was still in Tulip livery but I expect it to be repainted soon. I'll guess they'll do something with interim ATC callsigns, like "Northwest in Delta Colors" was used with Ground, Approach, Departure communications. Probably "United in Continental Colors" even though it says "UNITED" on the side, because it visually is otherwise identical to legacy-CO.

They're doing a better job than NW/DL by making "Customer Day 1" a defined date.

DL/NW improved greatly on the still-horrible US/HP merger. UA/CO is doing even better than DL/NW did. Acquiring (or functionally controlling in "merger of equals" like Daimler in DaimlerChrysler, or our SMI/J as CEO with Tilton pushed to nonexecutive chairman) company gets to pick the colors, logos, branding, advertising, etc. Time to move on, folks - the corporate merger has happened, the branding decisions have been made, the new branding is already rolled out, Customer Day 1 is about T-77, and single-certificate is about T-400.

No Tulip, No Saul Bass, No Impressionism. Sorry, it's a done deal.

Anybody who leaves UA because of paint and ads is nuts IMHO. If nuUA blows it on customer service, fares, safety, FF program changes, hard product, soft product IYHO, then sure, leave for someone else. But for BRANDING? That's Crazy Talk!
But the point is, their choices in branding are reflective of how they will make decisions on those things that do matter. ie, choosing the CO way.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
ie, choosing the CO way.
NOT a way for me! Pity more people aren't taking my view.

And it's not like DL/NW at all (as a previous CO poster said). DL actually took over NW, so no problems with the branding.

In the UA/CO case, UA was the larger party and it was supposed to be a merger, which was hijacked by Smisek, aided and abetted by Tilton (who just wants his golden handshake).

It's also a bit similar to NZ/AN, and look where that ended.

It WILL end in tears, and I will be tearing up my 12+ SWU's this year and flushing them down the toilet (metaphorically speaking).

Last edited by Grace B; Mar 1, 2011 at 11:58 pm
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:19 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
OMG, are they serious? "Explore Space?" I think this agency needs to get put under review STAT!
Could've been "Explore |_____________|".
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lot's of banners for E+, RCC one-time passes, etc in ORD.

Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Those globe banners don't actually look that bad at ORD. The shapes sort of mimic the architecture of the building.

But "Over 370 destinations throughout the world" is terrible grammar. What, the airplanes fly over but never land?

It should read "More than 370 destinations throughout the world."
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I wonder what they did with the old banners

There has to be a UA employee somewhere with several garages full of UA swag.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by n198ua
There has to be a UA employee somewhere with several garages full of UA swag.
or there is a dumpster in ORD full of UA swag .....

Treasure hunt anyone?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Fascinating how many disgruntled UA employees are posting on this Board (claiming to be passengers) complaining about nearly every aspect of this merger. I just have a really hard time believing that passengers care this much about a logo.

While on the CO board, I have yet to see any posts about the loss of the company they have worked for potentially many years. Continental is gone; but the hostility is not there.

I think this is a bad omen for the integration of these companies. That's what we should really be worried about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.