Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New interim ad campaign + some details of brand "look"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New interim ad campaign + some details of brand "look"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I'm not a subscriber to WSJ. Any link to read full article without subscribing?
Just google the title of the article and follow the links.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I'm not a subscriber to WSJ. Any link to read full article without subscribing?
When I googled the headline of the story earlier today, I came across a link on the WSJ site that gave me the entire story. I would post it here, but it likely won't help you -- when I pasted it into another browser, it retrieved only the first few paragraphs and then asked to log in. Not sure how the WSJ decides when to show the full article and when to ask for subscriptions.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Airliners.net has a few images of the new ads:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ain/5075433/1/

Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
The most telling item of the article is here:

"Mr. McKenna said the two carriers won't mesh their websites until 2012, and the rebranding effort at its airports and on its fleet won't be completed until 2013. Workers will get new uniforms in mid-2012. The interim ad campaign will give way to a new one in March 2012, after the two companies hope to be fully integrated."

This suggests the integration schedule is running a bit behind the initial -- and perhaps optimistic -- projections.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, CO Gold, Hyatt Gold, SPG Gold,
This is a very complicated merger from the branding stand point. As a global branding professional, I can tell you that several mistakes are already being made.
The new United hasn't decided which are the most important groups to consider: Shareholders, Employees or Customers.
As long as they haven't made that decision, both employees and customers are suffering, while the shareholders are being sold a million stories on the new brand.
The advertising here is secondary, and the airplanes are being painted way too soon.
The staff of both airlines insist it is still a two company situation, but we are all being sold on the idea of creating the biggest and best airline in the world!
When, where, why, how, no one knows, and no one talks.
Leaving all of us in the dark is the worst they can do.
So we are paying the price, and they will lost customers without a doubt!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 11800506
Wow - that is truly pathetic. "We have low fares, come to our web site". How asiprational for the leading global carrier.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
I was watching the Angels/Dodgers spring training game today, and noticed a United ad on one of those rotating ad signs behind home plate. It was basically just the name/logo that you see at the bottom of the above ads... the United name in all caps with the CO globe in a square to the right of it.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:04 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
Another missed opportunity--just like the livery--bland and boring. Any yes I know it is just advertising (and the livery is just paint) but you gotta wonder who is making such poor choices.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jss
Another missed opportunity--just like the livery--bland and boring. Any yes I know it is just advertising (and the livery is just paint) but you gotta wonder who is making such poor choices.
I think the true creative force behind this campaign is none other than (drumroll please)...SMI/J! Just like the "new livery" and "custom font logo".

"Directive #1 - focus on price! and our web site!"
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 11800506
Airliners.net has a few images of the new ads:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ain/5075433/1/
Hmm, yeah, I wish the ads would make a stronger statement of "who is the new United" and "what does it stand for." Getting the lowest price on the website seems to be a category norm. Here's hoping there's more to this campaign!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, ANA GM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, UA RCC, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by n198ua
I always thought the "quirky" images showed class. Stock photos? Not so much.

At least Gershwin stays ^
Gershwin without the 'quirky' graphic art would be less 'impressionistic' and a bit dissonant, but I am please that good ol' George will survive!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Great, more crappy CO branding. Will we be able to "Ask Alex™ for help" on the new united.com?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Wow - that is truly pathetic. "We have low fares, come to our web site". How asiprational for the leading global carrier.
If only that were true, LOL! The only thing they are advertising in this case is the fact that the website -- versus other travel websites -- is the place to get the lowest United fare.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I can see billboards sprouting up everywhere:

SAFE.
CLEAN.
RELIABLE.

If that agency's past work is any indication.
I think it's actually:

CLEAN.
SAFE.
RELIABLE.

Because, you know, cleanliness is more important than a safety culture.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Did I not notice it previously, or is it new that one of the 4 rotating "ads" (the RCC one time pass "ad") on the .bomb homepage now comes with a CO gold color scheme elsewhere on the page?

It was so jarring to me that I immediately came here to see if anyone else was talking about it.

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.