Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA 6870 SFO-MMH-SFO cancelled 3 days in row

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres

I'm on upcoming UA 6870 from SFO-MMH this Friday, but I've seen that it's been cancelled for the last 3 days now including today. ua.com doesn't say why...does anyone know what's going on with this flight?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Wish I had an answer for you....United Cargo simply states that it was Canceled for "Operations"....maybe one of our resident UA employees has access to more detailed info....in any event, best of luck - hope it works out ok for you.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:42 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ype=0&x=38&y=7

Doesn't look like too many flights operated there. The DL/AA/AS/Horizon flight, the OO/UA flight, another DL/AS/AA/Horizon...3/4 cncld.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:48 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
oops.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
MMH is a VERY finicky airport. Mountains, very high minimums, and winds that can cause severe turbulence.

At the time the flight was scheduled to depart, the visibility at the airport bouncing between 1/4 and 2 miles visibility. I can't find a forecast for the time period, but you can bet that it was pretty close to what it was currently. Either way, the visibility was WELL below what is required to even depart.

Fastair notes the number of cancellations. This is pretty true. Like I said, it's a finicky airport. Heck, ASE is a walk in the park compared.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; T8788))

This is a huge dilemma for me. I would love to fly to mmh for powder days, but those are the times flights don't make it in. I wish BIH has TSA facilities and could be used as an alt.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by sammybk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; T8788))

This is a huge dilemma for me. I would love to fly to mmh for powder days, but those are the times flights don't make it in. I wish BIH has TSA facilities and could be used as an alt.
LOL. Let's first talk about scheduled service. Then we can talk about TSA.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Totally agree - I flew up for the first time this summer and that was touch-and-go...they warned us ahead of time that we might get turned around and would have to head back to LAX.

I would totally support at least diverting to Bishop when the Mammoth Airport can't handle the flights. I'm sure there are all sorts of logistical issues involved but, i can dream....
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM

If they have to divert to BIH can't they just skip TSA and treat it as an intl flight and make everyone go through TBIT? I am sure this is highly illegal, but hey, it sucks to divert back to where you started.

Last edited by sammybk; Feb 16, 2011 at 10:21 pm
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by sammybk

If they have to divert to BIH can't they just skip TSA and treat it as an intl flight and make everyone go through TBIT? I am sure this is highly illegal, but hey, it sucks to divert back to where you started.
There's more to it than that. The actual airport surface has to be able to support the aircraft. Then it has to have the required firefighting capability. Bishop, for all intents and purposes, can't fund that kind of upgrade.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
This is what KVS said:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.9/Diamond - WSpan Operational Info: UA 6870/16 Feb 2011]
Code:
F:6870/16FEB                                                    
OPERATED BY UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST AIRLINES SFO-MMH             
OPERATED BY UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST AIRLINES MMH-SFO             
FLT CNCLD                                                       
FX/MW  /MMHSFO CNCLD                                            
SFO/0554CT/1200-1859/PROB DLYS/DVRT/CNCL-ATC OPERATIONS-THUNDERS
TORMS                                                           
TORMS                                                           
>
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

I guess it's just a combination of bad luck that both SFO and MMH are weather-prone and storms are hitting hard right now...hopefully I don't need to use a "trip in vain" reason!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:32 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
This is what KVS said:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.9/Diamond - WSpan Operational Info: UA 6870/16 Feb 2011]
Code:
F:6870/16FEB                                                    
OPERATED BY UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST AIRLINES SFO-MMH             
OPERATED BY UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST AIRLINES MMH-SFO             
FLT CNCLD                                                       
FX/MW  /MMHSFO CNCLD                                            
TORMS                                                           
TORMS                                                           
>
MW=below weather minimums
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Make that 4 days

Looks like 6870 took off, got to MMH, circled quite a bit, then returned back to SFO.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S...139Z/KMMH/KSFO

I think FlightAware thinks it's the return trip, but ua.com says flight cancelled due to crew. I wonder if the passengers get the miles.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
What a difference a week makes. Combine the minimums at MMH and the flow control at SFO and it is not a shock that it has been cancelled for a few days now. Quite a bummer if you were scheduled to go up this week though.

I am going there mid March but am willing to gamble. The drive up in this kind of weather must be pretty horrendous anyway. And even under perfect conditions it is very long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.