Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Trans-Pacific FAs - I just returned on UA 898 (NRT/IAD) and have some observations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trans-Pacific FAs - I just returned on UA 898 (NRT/IAD) and have some observations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier

I just returned on UA 898 (NRT/IAD) today and have some observations. Certainly I understand that the trans-Pacific routes are generally staffed with the most senior FAs but I have noticed over the past year in my Asian travels -- and especially today -- that these aging FAs (most, but not all) are unpleasant, unkempt, and provide minimal service. I can tell you that I did not see one FA smile or show any measure of pleasantness on today's flight. On an even more serious note, I am concerned about their ability to physically deal with a safety issue because of their fragility, and in other cases, their excessive weight. I know that these FAs have many years of experience and I should not be concerned about their abilities to meet both safety and service requirements but after today's flight I am not so sure. With the exception of the purser -- who was excellent -- I cannot find one single positive comment to say about the other other FAs serving the biz class. Skies just weren't friendly on today's flight.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Yet another thread about aging FA's... it comes up here a lot... people say the young FA's on the Asian carriers are so wonderful..etc etc.

UA's FA's meet the FAA physical requirements for the job (whatever those are). What is UA supposed to do? Fire them? Impossible..and illegal in the United States. People over 40 are in a protected class of employees and you absolutely cannot terminate them because of age. Asian carriers have different laws...they can keep their FA's young and sexy. Is that fair to their older FA's who don't want to retire? Or to the woman who gains 20 pounds because of a thyroid condition, or difficulty losing pregnancy weight? No, it isn't.

Termination for bad service? Oh how I wish it were so... but there are plenty of older FA's who give outstanding service. I would fully support UA actively monitoring and rating service by its FA's and terminate those who fall short. But termination should have nothing to do with age or whether someone appears to be frail or overweight.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by joedish
+1
+2

I fly on occasion the 889/888 route to/from PEK in F and I don't think the biggest problem is the frailty but the rudeness (especially what I have seen to non-English speaking customers).
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
transpac crews ex dulles

are a surly bunch ime. best of lot is the gang out of sea to nrt.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:44 pm
kkg

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1MM/1k
Originally Posted by todera
+2
+3
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
UA's FA's meet the FAA physical requirements for the job (whatever those are).
I don't know if the FAA has any physical requirements for an FA. There definitely should be, as they are "there primarily for our safety", but there are some (not strictly based on age) who couldn't pass a physical.

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
But termination should have nothing to do with age or whether someone appears to be frail or overweight.
Not based on appearance, but if they can't perform their safety duties, they shouldn't have the job. I don't know what FA recertification is like, but I can't believe it's anything close to realistic for what they're supposed to be able to do.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by kkg
+3
+4

While many crews are fine, I've seen my share of poor ones too. When a FA can't make it down the aisle without hitting both sides of the aisle with their oversized behind, I think that hampers their abilities to do their job properly.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't know if the FAA has any physical requirements for an FA. There definitely should be, as they are "there primarily for our safety", but there are some (not strictly based on age) who couldn't pass a physical.

Not based on appearance, but if they can't perform their safety duties, they shouldn't have the job. I don't know what FA recertification is like, but I can't believe it's anything close to realistic for what they're supposed to be able to do.
+1
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by bschaff1
+4
+5

On a recent HKG-ORD flight a FA refused to help an older woman with putting her back in the overhead locker because she couldn't lift her arms that high. My immediate thought had nothing to do with her age or her size but how she was suppose to be there for my safety? It gave me zero confidence.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: Free Agent
United used to have some sort of service director onboard NRT flights to monitor service and quality. When did this stop?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
FAs are required to go through Annual Recurrent Training. At that time they have to prove they can successfully conduct all safety related duties including opening doors, window exits, etc. Those who are physically incapable are grounded.

The rude/bitterness? No argument there.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
+5

On a recent HKG-ORD flight a FA refused to help an older woman with putting her back in the overhead locker because she couldn't lift her arms that high. My immediate thought had nothing to do with her age or her size but how she was suppose to be there for my safety? It gave me zero confidence.
+6

I like young, pretty and energetic FAs.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by kb1992
+6

I like the ones who bring me Glenlivet from F, regardless of their age.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by kb1992
+6

All I ask is they be polite, courteous, smile, and have a neat appearance.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I don't have a lot of experience flying UA transpac but based on my last trip, we could do without the FA in biz who wanted to get past me as I retrieved something from the overhead and just pushed me out of her way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.