Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA Not-so premier line

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I cut over to the left...the right is almost always more crowded.

The TSA agents seem to like sending hordes of people down there. They held up the premier line one so they could clear about half of a long regular line down the right side and then tried to send us behind them.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, H.H. Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, Enterprise Plat, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I cut over to the left...the right is almost always more crowded.

The TSA agents seem to like sending hordes of people down there. They held up the premier line one so they could clear about half of a long regular line down the right side and then tried to send us behind them.
I suppose that would work well if there are no kids/family. Far left is for families and at 6AM there always seems to be a whole lot of them going thru.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:37 am

Is arriving SEA 55 minutes before departure early enough?

I plan to take QuickShuttle from Vancouver to SEA for a UA/CO flight on a Sunday. According to the bus schedule, there is 55 minutes between the arrival of the bus at SEA and the departure of the flight that I would like to take.
I think I will do online checking before leaving Vancouver.
I never took QuickShuttle before (so I have no idea about the on-time performance) nor went through security at SEA.

May I ask whether such time would be sufficient or I'd better have more time in between? Tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Depending on your flight's departure time the Premium security line might be open. If it's open, then you have absolutely no time issue. Even if it's closed you should have no problem getting through security and taking the train to the N satellite.

Also, keep this in mind. A flight starts boarding 30 minutes prior to departure. That means that you will have 25 minutes to get off the bus, enter the terminal, go through security, take the train, and walk to the gate in order to be there before the gate close, which might be 10 minutes before departure time.

BTW, if you have lots of time, i.e. arriving earlier, then I'd recommend stopping by Vino Volo in the main terminal for a glass of wine and a light meal.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:29 am

I would arrive at SEA 40 minutes before scheduled departure many times and make my flight.

This was normally at 6am, I had Premier line access and checked in the night before.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Used to take the QS regularly in the past but less often since about 5-6 years ago when punctuality went down the tubes. Looking as long as 30-60 minutes late due to slow loading, bathroom breaks, etc. Not even excessive time clearing U.S. entry (30 mins allowed).

I wouldn't chance it based on that past performance.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by heffa
A flight starts boarding 30 minutes prior to departure. That means that you will have 25 minutes
Unless you absolutely have to be the first one to board, it would be 45 minutes. You just to get there before the gate closes, not when boarding begins.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS
You should be OK arriving 55 minutes early ... but might have a bit of trouble if it's one of the 7am - 8:30am departing flights. AS has taken over a number of the N gates [where United flies out of] and thus the elite security line can get long during that peak time. Lately when I've taken flight 916 that line has been 15-20 people deep -- or more! Just be patient.

Also, I've had some trouble using the mobile boarding pass whereby the TSA agent has sent me back to the ticket counter to get a paper version and then made me wait in the entire security line again. [Mind you I complained to the powers that be about that...] So if it is one of the early morning flights, you might want to ensure you have a paper boarding pass instead of a mobile one just to be on the safe side.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You basically have a 30 minute margin of error on the timing of the shuttle arriving at SEA. The problem probably isn't going to be clearing TSA at SEA and getting to your gate quickly (which you should do, especially with 1K status), the problem is the threeish hour drive preceding it, and when it GETS you to SEA.

I agree with YVR Cockroach and think your margin for error is too little (I'd probably be more comfortable with 90 minutes, even if it meant hanging out in the Central Terminal and grabbing a meal there). My observations on I-5 north of SEA are that you can occasionally hit traffic jams over the Ship Canal bridge and in Everett traveling southbound- even on a weekend.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:10 pm

Baggage cut-off at SEA is 45 min prior to departure.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:29 pm

thanks a lot all you FTers!
The departure time of my candidate flight is 11:10PM and the scheduled arrival of the shuttle bus is 10:15PM. I will have a carry-on only, no other baggage to check.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:28 pm
smn

I normally have no issue with the redeye. Even though no premier line is open, I've never had any line, before a month ago.

It seems there must have been some TSA cutbacks or something. Last month went for the redeye flight. No premier line, and had to wait 50 minutes to get through security!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:00 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
The issue is not whether 55 minutes is enough time (it's PLENTY of time without checked luggage).

The issue is whether QuickShuttle will be on time or not. I know they pad the schedules, but personally I wouldn't chance it if it's critical that you make that flight.

Having taken QuickShuttle many times between Seattle and Vancouver (albeit not in several years), I can tell you that there is always a good chance for a delay. The Blaine Border Crossing is always a crapshoot, and I-5 traffic seems to get worse every year.

As always, YMMV.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: United 2P
Originally Posted by heffa
Depending on your flight's departure time the Premium security line might be open. If it's open, then you have absolutely no time issue. Even if it's closed you should have no problem getting through security and taking the train to the N satellite.
I agree with this - it's just a mater of will the bus get to SEA on time as others have said.

Sometimes there is backup at security at SEA at the lines nearest to the N terminals even with the elite line, but the security area a couple of hundred feet to the left works too and normally has shorter lines.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K MM, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mintirish
Sometimes there is backup at security at SEA at the lines nearest to the N terminals even with the elite line, but the security area a couple of hundred feet to the left works too and normally has shorter lines.
mintirish's observation is spot-on. Things were reasonably predictable before the TSA checkpoint closest to UA's counter was rebuilt in the last year. Since then it's bi-polar Great if the premium lanes are open, not so much if the premium lanes are closed.

My drill is to start there, and then walk south, looking for a checkpoint that has shorter lines. It'll mean a bit of a walk back, but you'll save time.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.