Wiki Posts
Search

UA Distressed Passenger Hotel Vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:46 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

UA Distressed Passenger Hotel Vouchers

Anyone got one of the pink UA "Distressed Passenger" hotel vouchers on hand?

I wanted to call (need the 800# or the website URL) tonight and get the rates for Washington Dulles area hotels...

I believe that it says 50% off with the voucher but that appears to be a joke...I used one at the Dulles Hilton last night after getting screwed by UX Mesa...rate was $74...I looked up tonight's rates on Hilton.com and the lowest rate is $89...

Someone have the phone number handy? I want to call today and actually check just how much they quote versus tonight's rates that anyone can get..
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, ANA GM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, UA RCC, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Anyone got one of the pink UA "Distressed Passenger" hotel vouchers on hand?

I wanted to call (need the 800# or the website URL) tonight and get the rates for Washington Dulles area hotels...

I believe that it says 50% off with the voucher but that appears to be a joke...I used one at the Dulles Hilton last night after getting screwed by UX Mesa...rate was $74...I looked up tonight's rates on Hilton.com and the lowest rate is $89...

Someone have the phone number handy? I want to call today and actually check just how much they quote versus tonight's rates that anyone can get..

You might find this thread over at the HHonors forum useful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...mond-desk.html

The consensus seemed that it might be better to call a hotel directly to get the most accurate "distressed passenger" rate.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:33 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
It is not 50% off, rather whatever rate they give to airport accommodations. Lowest rate available and standard rack rates vary, just as a BUA ticket and a LE21ONQ ticket have vastly different rates. I have yet to find a time when the pink voucher rate is more than what one could get on one's own.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Even for a cert that says 50% off (like the Starwood SPG50), it's often 50% off rack rate, not 50% off lowest rate.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Hyatt Dulles - $76 distressed passenger rate

Hyatt Dulles has a $76 distressed passenger rate tonight on contract with UA.
(tonight website shows $89 regular rate)
Located 5 min via shuttle.
Tel 703 713 1234

w/o the actual pink hotel form, you need UA customer service to validate flight problem info so that Hyatt Dulles can provide the $76 distressed passenger rate.

Alternatively, Costco member rate $80 (and you get hotel stay credit, unlike Hyatt distressed hotel rate where you don't get hotel stay credit)
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA .75K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
the number

try 800-542-0724
website is www.apaglobal.com
coupon code = JSTRK

You won't get points (a FT no-no), but the rate will be good. not sure if they need the actual paper or not..
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastair
It is not 50% off, rather whatever rate they give to airport accommodations. Lowest rate available and standard rack rates vary, just as a BUA ticket and a LE21ONQ ticket have vastly different rates. I have yet to find a time when the pink voucher rate is more than what one could get on one's own.
Fastair, my recollection is that either the voucher says 50% or the Customer Service agents at IAD told us that we'd get 50% off the regular rate as the "distressed passenger" rate at the hotels..

cjares, thanks for the web address...I checked for tonight (I'm home now after another crappy experience with Mesa out of IAD this morning...flight this morning was delayed an hour when they discovered a maintenance problem just moments before we were to start boarding...). Dulles Hilton is again $74 for the night, versus $89 on the Hilton website..While you get a $15 discount, my point is that it's pretty pathetic to tell someone you're doing them a favor giving them 50% off a hotel while in this case it's about 15% off the rate I could have gotten myself..

UA1KForever, is what you're saying that if I had called the hotel directly and told them I was a "distressed passenger" over at IAD that the rate may have been better than the $74 rate?

The clerk at Hilton took my HHonors card & UA FF number. We'll see if any points appear....
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Its pretty easy to get less than the pink rate around LAX. Pink voucher is $69 at a 3 star. You can Priceline a 4 star for less than that.

Last edited by N1120A; Feb 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm Reason: Wow. Bad Misspelling.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I want to call today and actually check just how much they quote versus tonight's rates that anyone can get..
IME (several times, and most recently 2nd week of Dec).

The rates can be hit or miss,

IIRC (and my numbers might be a little off: They had the ORD Hilton for around 80.00, and I was getting 200.00 from Hilton and Orbitz, TL, etc.

The Embassy Suites on river was 180.00 (on the pink sheet), and I got 140.00 from Hilton.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 8:41 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
from an old message, so caution that the info might be outdated:

"here is the info straight from the pink coupon that all customer service centers give out:

"Need a room near the airport? United Airlines Flight Interruption Arrangements
To our valued customers, we sincerely regret any inconvenience... etc etc.
Airport Accommodations -- Call 1-800-705-2189 coupon code JSTRK..."

This is not some really private info (they give these out any time, any where), so I think it should be ok to post here for everyone's benefit, including hopefully your parents.

Good for hotels in
ATL BWI Chicago CVG DFW DEN FLL LA MIA
MKE MSP NYC MCO STL SLC SFO Tampa WAS
"
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:19 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Fastair, my recollection is that either the voucher says 50% or the Customer Service agents at IAD told us that we'd get 50% off the regular rate as the "distressed passenger" rate at the hotels..

cjares, thanks for the web address...I checked for tonight (I'm home now after another crappy experience with Mesa out of IAD this morning...flight this morning was delayed an hour when they discovered a maintenance problem just moments before we were to start boarding...). Dulles Hilton is again $74 for the night, versus $89 on the Hilton website..While you get a $15 discount, my point is that it's pretty pathetic to tell someone you're doing them a favor giving them 50% off a hotel while in this case it's about 15% off the rate I could have gotten myself..

UA1KForever, is what you're saying that if I had called the hotel directly and told them I was a "distressed passenger" over at IAD that the rate may have been better than the $74 rate?

The clerk at Hilton took my HHonors card & UA FF number. We'll see if any points appear....
I understand what you're saying, I've heard agents say "up to 50% off" when in reality, it is up to any number off...less than, more than, just whatever number the hotel gives airport accommodations. Where they came up with the 50% number is anyone's guess. Last time I used one for myself, it was in Vegas, and I believe that I don't think that I paid addl taxes or fees, that my normal (non-points) stays incur. I don't know if that is standard, or if they bake the local taxes into their price, but it can mean more of a difference then you would expect when hotel taxes can be pretty substantial. Again, I may have just been lucky that time, I can't guarantee that the addl hotle taxes are always baked in, but when the hotel is under $80, and the local hotel taxes are often an addl 20 bucks, 15 dollars savings can turn into $40 real fast.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 5:04 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I understand what you're saying, I've heard agents say "up to 50% off" when in reality, it is up to any number off...less than, more than, just whatever number the hotel gives airport accommodations. Where they came up with the 50% number is anyone's guess. Last time I used one for myself, it was in Vegas, and I believe that I don't think that I paid addl taxes or fees, that my normal (non-points) stays incur. I don't know if that is standard, or if they bake the local taxes into their price, but it can mean more of a difference then you would expect when hotel taxes can be pretty substantial. Again, I may have just been lucky that time, I can't guarantee that the addl hotle taxes are always baked in, but when the hotel is under $80, and the local hotel taxes are often an addl 20 bucks, 15 dollars savings can turn into $40 real fast.
The rate in DC (at least at the Hilton Dulles) does not include taxes...

My total for the $74 room was $80.66.

Interesting that when looking at 7AM Eastern time the following morning, a whole new list of hotels is now showing for IAD (Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt from Friday night & again Saturday night are gone)...now showing Hilton Garden inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, and Comfort Inn & Suites..not sure if that list is still applying to Saturday night or if this is now the list for Sunday night..

I think that the strategy for next time I get stranded is to call the Apaglobal number to see what hotels/rates they have available and then call the hotel directly to see if they will offer a better rate directly. Had not thought of calling directly and asking for a "distressed passenger" rate..Over the last 10 years I've only been stranded three times and never been offered the "pink voucher"...twice by UA and once by WN..I believe I paid $150 a night in Tampa, $125 in Fort Lauderdale and $89 in Chicago (Courtyard quoted $129 by the Marriott 800# but the hotel changed it to $89...don't think anyone ever asked if I was a distressed passenger)..

Last edited by GeorgeJ; Feb 6, 2011 at 5:17 am
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Suggest you look at www.yourroomkey.com which offers so called distressed passenger rates. You'll need to register with your name and your company name.

Some sample rates for IAD tonight are:

$62 Hyatt Place IAD East
$69 Hampton Suites IAD
$76 Hyatt IAD
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Jet Yi
Suggest you look at www.yourroomkey.com which offers so called distressed passenger rates. You'll need to register with your name and your company name.

Some sample rates for IAD tonight are:

$62 Hyatt Place IAD East
$69 Hampton Suites IAD
$76 Hyatt IAD
Did not see a spot to register on that page. Do you have to call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.