Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Is this First Class?

I must admit I'm not a regular user of domestic flights in the US. Arguably, I'm commercially irrelevant for US carriers ...

But anyway, I was negatively surprised flying UA First today from YVR to SFO. It's lightyears away from AC Business, not to mention Asian carriers in Business - let alone First. But also comparing it to AA Domestic First - my only other recent experience with dometic First in the US - is clear win for AA. Just a few impressions:

- Gate agent: Couldn't enter my FFP on UA ... I beg you pardon, Sir?
- Cleaning/grooming of acft: I don't think the UA aircraft had seen a vacuum cleaner this year ... AC and AA, could both also be better, but at least lavatories definitely cleaned before flight.
- Food offering: Menu on AA and AC, no clue what's on offer on UA.
- Food quality: Selection (!) of nicely cooked meals on AA and AC, a sticky hot sandwich on UA.
- Wine: Nice selection of premium wines on AA and AC, just one white and one red "housewine" on UA.
- IFE: Individual on AA (some acft) and AA (all). Not individual and also with broken audio track on UA.

May be I was just a bit unlucky with UA today. But this clearly wasn't First Class, not even Business, from a global perspective not even Economy.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That what you get on airlines with domestic First. I've not flown AC C, so I'm not sure of their product. Are you comparing Intl C to domestic F?

As far as the menu, UA only offers those on p.s. (transcon JFK-SFO/LAX) flight in F & C.. Sorry that a domestic F product did not have that.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Unfortunately international premium cabins in no way resemble domestic cabins, even though some domestic routes are longer than international flights. Domestic F is almost what coach used to be years ago, and few airlines have domestic C anymore. UA only has it regularly on JFK to LAX or SFO.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
If you compare it with what passes for "business class" intra-Europe, you won't be disappointed.

I'm thinking about the LH flights (or BA for that matter) that I've taken between European cities. The US domestic first is a better hard product IME. Soft product varies.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyinbob
few airlines have domestic C anymore. UA only has it regularly on JFK to LAX or SFO.
And SFO-ORD and LAX-IAD.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
International vs domestic

Look at LH business intra-Europe. It's even worse than UA's domestic first. LH's "domestic" intra-europe business class is just economy class with the middle seat blocked. That is what you're flying on UA (the LH equivalent of intra-Europe flights), since Canada is not "long haul" international.

UA domestic first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DxH3D4JK30

UA international business:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_k8oTrfj3s

The difference is obvious. You cannot compare international UA business with domestic UA first just as you cannot compare international LH business with "domestic" intra-europe LH business.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
CO has even worse.

I took a domestic F yesterday (about 3 hours of flight time) - No food at all.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
If you compare it with what passes for "business class" intra-Europe, you won't be disappointed.
Don't look down on European airlines' Business Class, some are actually very good, especially Aeroflot (shocking, isn't it?).
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
It looks like the comparison was also somewhat distorted by a comparing a relatively "short haul" UA flight to a transcontinental premium service AA flight (all of the advantages you score to AA are only offered on their New York - L.A. and New York - San Francisco service)-- short haul AA product is just as dismal as UA.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by swiss_global
But anyway, I was negatively surprised flying UA First today from YVR to SFO. It's lightyears away from AC Business, not to mention Asian carriers in Business - let alone First. But also comparing it to AA Domestic First - my only other recent experience with dometic First in the US - is clear win for AA. Just a few impressions:

- Gate agent: Couldn't enter my FFP on UA ... I beg you pardon, Sir?
- Cleaning/grooming of acft: I don't think the UA aircraft had seen a vacuum cleaner this year ... AC and AA, could both also be better, but at least lavatories definitely cleaned before flight.
- Food offering: Menu on AA and AC, no clue what's on offer on UA.
- Food quality: Selection (!) of nicely cooked meals on AA and AC, a sticky hot sandwich on UA.
- Wine: Nice selection of premium wines on AA and AC, just one white and one red "housewine" on UA.
- IFE: Individual on AA (some acft) and AA (all). Not individual and also with broken audio track on UA.

May be I was just a bit unlucky with UA today. But this clearly wasn't First Class, not even Business, from a global perspective not even Economy.
It seems like you are not comparing all three carriers on the same route YVR-SFO, as I can say there is no menus on AC as well on the same route. AA only has menus on transcontintental route, and AC don't even have menus on their longer YVR-YYZ either. I had a cold meal and no choice on AC's YVR-SFO. IFE is also on some aircraft on UA just like AA.

I don't know what global perspective you have, if you rate UA 's domestic first so low, then how would you rate intra europe flights like with BA, LH, AZ, SK, LX etc using economy seats only block the middle and called it business class ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:15 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I use UA YVR SFO YVR many times a year and have always been upgraded to 1st. I find the food ok, cabin clean and washrooms clean, I see no problem with their inflight service or the condition of the aircraft.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And SFO-ORD and LAX-IAD.
but those are watered down domestic C products.

As for service, it's p.s. Domestic F >> p.s. Domestic C >> Domestic F >> Domestic C

on SFO-ORD and LAX-IAD, why doesn't UA just throw in the towel and simply sell the C and F cabins together as Domestic F?

btw, the intl cabins flying some domestic routes doesn't count as regular domestic premium cabins.

Last edited by bniu; Feb 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by bniu
on SFO-ORD and LAX-IAD, why doesn't UA just throw in the towel and simply sell the C and F cabins together as Domestic F?
Because they can sell and charge 3 class F and C more than 2 class F.

You could ask the same thing why does it have ps F and ps C ?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Look at LH business intra-Europe. It's even worse than UA's domestic first. LH's "domestic" intra-europe business class is just economy class with the middle seat blocked.
That's true, but the food is better on LH in business, and the service is rapid and friendly (although UA's can be too sometimes). My favorite part though was on LH recently, where the aircraft was a brand new Airbus 320 (I think). I actually saw the stewardess wipe some hand prints off the overhead bin, and with an air of obvious pride!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by StingWest
That's true, but the food is better on LH in business, and the service is rapid and friendly (although UA's can be too sometimes). My favorite part though was on LH recently, where the aircraft was a brand new Airbus 320 (I think). I actually saw the stewardess wipe some hand prints off the overhead bin, and with an air of obvious pride!
UA is offering UDU to domestic first. LH only does op-ups... In addition, while I agree than food is better, the seat pitch is still terrible for tall people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.