Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Whole flight let into IAD D concourse RCC after UA958 [ORD-LHR] Returns With MX Issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole flight let into IAD D concourse RCC after UA958 [ORD-LHR] Returns With MX Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I think it's a nice gesture given the circumstances. If it was diverted due to an unruly customer or for weather, and they were let in - that's one thing. A mechanical is technically deemed 'within UA control' so this could serve as good service recovery.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
And the 10pm iAd-lhr is going out with 38 empty in economy. When I asked the (not rcc) agents why -- they said "well if you only have 30 seats how do you determine who goes first?" and "Dulles is different."

My answer would have been, "I dunno, maybe by status, then fare? Surely those 38 seats could accommodate a few GS and 1Ks so you don't have to put them up for the night."
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Happy Hour
Seemed like a nice token of goodwill for the divert.

Depending on the nature of the emergency, a jolly good helping of medicinal brandy might have been in order.
Not exactly. Since this is an international departure and you've already "left" the USA, you need to re-enter the USA. Perhaps they are "holding" people in the RCC to keep them from re-entering the country illegally.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
I would write for compensation immediately. The RCC is supposed to be haven from the chaos of the terminal. Brining an entire flight into the club is unthinkable. Supsension of the employee who made the decisions seems the minimum appropriate punishment, and termination more likely to be the right level of discipline.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by warreng24
Not exactly. Since this is an international departure and you've already "left" the USA, you need to re-enter the USA. Perhaps they are "holding" people in the RCC to keep them from re-entering the country illegally.
I don't think that is the issue.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gawhite411
I would write for compensation immediately. The RCC is supposed to be haven from the chaos of the terminal. Brining an entire flight into the club is unthinkable. Supsension of the employee who made the decisions seems the minimum appropriate punishment, and termination more likely to be the right level of discipline.
You've got to be kidding. I'd give the employee that authorized this action a bonus.

At 8:45pm on a Sunday night, the IAD RCC's are lightly used at best. The D concourse club in particular.

I'm a long time RCC club member, and I wouldn't have resented it had I been sitting in the club. As long as I have my seat, and I can get what I need, so what if they gave some inconvenienced customers a break?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach

a.) I was expressing my opinion, not complaining. As a paying club member, I pretty much by definition paid for exclusivity of some sort - that's the idea of a club, no? I was not personally impacted, but as a member I have no qualms about voicing my disapproval of a business practice.

At most United is diluting the RCC "exclusivity" a bit. If a bunch of flights were delayed and it filled up as a result, you'd have no real grounds to complain. Of course, if that started happening regularly you might not be too willing to pay for the diluted exclusivity. So, if United is making a habit of offloading flights into the RCC, then maybe you won't renew, but it's not like they guarantee some capacity level.

Originally Posted by warreng24
Not really--they hadn't left US airspace or passed immigration in another country.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 31, 2011 at 6:59 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
1. I have been in this same club and others numerous times, so it really can not be all that exclusive. Secondly it is UA's site, they can let whoever into there. As people are saying that club is not that busy, most of that flight probably has access through status, cabin, etc, and it was UA's fault for the divert, just give passengers cheap goodwill. Also think if you were in Y on this flight, probably would not be complaining too much.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
Not really--they hadn't left US airspace or passed immigration in another country.
Anyone with a visa would have surrendered their I94 already, so would need to be reprocessed in some way. I don't know what the usual method for handling these situations is.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by phaleesy
I am one of the passengers on the UA958 flight.

The flight was not full and all the passengers on that flight are indeed in the RCC.

What an adventure.
We're all quite curious how it all transpired. Hope it wasn't too uncomfortable but the cancellation doesn't sound like a lot of good came about...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: Freelancer
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Brining an entire flight into the club is unthinkable.
Soylent Snackboxes are made of peeeeople!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by drewguy
At most United is diluting the RCC "exclusivity" a bit. If a bunch of flights were delayed and it filled up as a result, you'd have no real grounds to complain. Of course, if that started happening regularly you might not be too willing to pay for the diluted exclusivity. So, if United is making a habit of offloading flights into the RCC, then maybe you won't renew, but it's not like they guarantee some capacity level.
Where did I say United guaranteed some capacity level? Folks seem to be reading an awful lot into what I wrote that I, well, didn't write. .. I agree that traffic has increased and UA has diluted exclusivity, but United does publish rather specific rules as to who is permitted in - those who are members, Star Gold, purchased pass holders, etc. "Distressed passengers" does not appear on this list. Yeah, as someone who paid for a program bounded by those rules, I disagree with the idea that a planeload of non-members should be let in simply due to MX. And certainly, if this became a pattern or an actual change to the rules, I would reconsider the dollars I spend on lounge access. I think many folks around here would agree that use of the RCC and its staff during irrops is perhaps the primary reason they have a membership at all, and these kinds of actions could render that substantially less valuable.

fastair has pointed out that the flight may have been there during hours which the RCC would have otherwise not been operating, which would, if true, make this specific instance fairly different matter. As a customer, I still object to the concept.

Originally Posted by millsdale
1. I have been in this same club and others numerous times, so it really can not be all that exclusive. Secondly it is UA's site, they can let whoever into there. As people are saying that club is not that busy, most of that flight probably has access through status, cabin, etc, and it was UA's fault for the divert, just give passengers cheap goodwill. Also think if you were in Y on this flight, probably would not be complaining too much.
I mean exclusive as in "there is a defined group of people who can come in here", not "exclusive" as in some Oscar's afterparty.

And while UA "can let whoever into there", I'm going to object to the practice as someone who paid for them to provide me a place they don't let everyone into.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 31, 2011 at 8:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by mjg59
Anyone with a visa would have surrendered their I94 already, so would need to be reprocessed in some way. I don't know what the usual method for handling these situations is.
[QUOTE=warreng24;15775193]Not exactly. Since this is an international departure and you've already "left" the USA, you need to re-enter the USA. Perhaps they are "holding" people in the RCC to keep them from re-entering the country illegally.

I have gone MX on UA815 & UA839 LAX-SYD and returned to the gate and been off loaded and spent the night in an hotel near LAX without any concern about pax not boarding the delayed flight. I have been on UA 839 on two occasions and diverted to HNL, where once pax were held in the boarding lounge for an hour and then re-boarded for the flight to SYD. But once 839 diverted to HNL (when 1000 miles south of Hawai'i) making the crew go over their time so when we landed the HNL UAL ground staff had already organised accommodation and transportation at 2.30am. We had to collected our checked baggage and very easily could have not boarded the make up flight departing HNL at midnight some 20 hours later. Great stay in Hilton Waikiki Village resort. I had an empty seat next to me on the HNL-SYD leg because my seat mate's religious beliefs prevented him from flying on certain days of the week. (Friday?)

In the scheme of things, IMHO I don't think that many people could 'overstay' because of mechanically delayed flights after boarding. If confirmation of people departing the US is that critical a security issue I am certain the collected i-94 forms could be checked against the manifest of the delayed flight once it finally departs.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by fastair
You should write in and get an ecert and have people fired, even if you were not even in the airport just for the principal of maintaining the FT way.
Whoa. Are you suggesting that an effort to take care of passengers distressed/stranded by a mechanical by letting them into the RCC is something you could get fired for? Is your sarcasm directed at the FT poster or UA policy? I can't tell. Seriously.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:03 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Whoa. Are you suggesting that an effort to take care of passengers distressed/stranded by a mechanical by letting them into the RCC is something you could get fired for? Is your sarcasm directed at the FT poster or UA policy? I can't tell. Seriously.
Neither. The FT poster (OP) didn't say anything bad about the call (which over the years, we have done at ORD for late Intl issues a few time), rather the poster(s) who might not even have been there (and thus not impacted by the decision,) but take issue to the RCC being used for anything else UA wants to use it for.

When we have done this at ORD, it has been as the RCC was closing or empty, we overstaffed the computers, so that anyone in there during business hours weren't negatively impacted, or if they were we tried to minimize it.

I all for using resources to their fullest potential, when it makes sense to do so. Given the time of the OP's post, it appears there was some overlap between closing of the club and the flight being moved in there. How much this impacted the service levels, I don't know, hopefully not very much.

As for the exclusivity, we have an entire thread on "guesting" people in with no knowledge of who they are. I am betting that sometimes, the member actually leaves before the guest. Yes, it is a membership club, and also allows people in other ways (ticket, guest, status, decision by UA mgmt) but any club that sells one day admittance at the door (or cheaper online) really doesn't have most of the common meanings of "exclusive" (omitting a group) as anyone can enter...for a price, it isn't like a background check to determine of you meet the club's criteria is given.

Last edited by fastair; Feb 1, 2011 at 1:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.