Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Fog in Bay Area (Week of 16 Jan) and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am on the NRT flight on Tuesday but decided to get into SFO early instead of waking up 4 AM to catch my flight to SFO. The agent said the NRT flight left Monday leaving about 100 misconnected passengers, so it is oversold in C on Tuesday - kiss the upgrades good-bye...unless more people can't make it to SFO on Tuesday.

The fog is supposed to continue all this week so beware. It has been really bad and even on and off. It didn't clear out until this afternoon and looks like it is coming again.

He said they do not even rebook people onto NH - you just have to wait for a UA flight. Given Chinese New Year is coming, there are more people headed that way, he said.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 18, 2011 at 7:54 am Reason: retitled thread
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Good move.. just in case another delay happens, you've got time.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fog was pretty bad this morning and it's supposed to continue tomorrow. And that's down the Peninsula where it isn't as bad as at SFO!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Augh! I booked IAH-SFO-SGN (yes, I know) on all UA metal with a good SFO layover ages ago. UA dumped the IAH-SFO some days, leaving me on a later CO flight (in E-, despite the SWU having already cleared all legs). Going to be one unhappy camper if I blow my constricted connection.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The fog was pretty bad this morning and it's supposed to continue tomorrow. And that's down the Peninsula where it isn't as bad as at SFO!
I'm in the hills (Portola Valley) and woke up and saw the severe fog warning and didn't think much of it (it was clear up here!). Drove in to Palo Alto around 8:30 AM, MAN! That was some thick fog... I would hate to be flying through SFO this week. It looks like the fog hung onto the bay all day.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Augh! I booked IAH-SFO-SGN (yes, I know) on all UA metal with a good SFO layover ages ago. UA dumped the IAH-SFO some days, leaving me on a later CO flight (in E-, despite the SWU having already cleared all legs). Going to be one unhappy camper if I blow my constricted connection.
The fog has been bad these past two days (Sunday and Monday). I work for CO and our morning arrivals from IAH, EWR and CLE all came in on time or early these past two days. I'm sure tomorrow will be just the same.

Most if not all of UA's delayed flights have been express flights.

Edit: the fog has burned off by noon each day.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
And this is winter ground fog, which we usually don't get much of around the bay. It usually stays inland. Brrrrr.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:15 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I flew out of SFO this afternoon, and by that time much of the fog had burned off. Morning however is a different story. I suppose that will be a repeating cycle for the next few days.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Fog has been bad past two days...in SFO for a conference and flying back to BOS on the 8:24am non-stop tomorrow (Tues). Hoping to get out although look likes freezing rain in BOS.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Check that incoming flight!

So the most-important issue will be, is your plane already at the airport? Flights that come in late the prior evening should be fine. I'm on 134 to ORD Thursday morning. Since it leaves at 8:58am, chances are it will be a recent arrival, not an overnight camper.

The good news is that the incoming isn't a quick-turnaround flight; UA59 from Denver arrives just over an hour earlier.

Flightaware gives incoming flight info; it's towards the upper right of the screen, adjacent to the flight number of whatever flight you looked up. Very handy.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:46 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
SJC->LAX cancelled this morning due to fog, rebooked on SFO->LAX. Ironically, SFO had more fog than SJC but we still took off on time, I guess they are used to it. I watched the NRT flight leave on time as well this morning despite the heavy fog. I think you should be fine.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:09 am
Suspended

The fog gets pretty thick here in the North State in the winter time. I'm in CIC and the other day driving to the gas station, which is about a 1/2 mile from my place, you could not see anything past the front end of my Truck. Just unbelievable. Pea Soup it is. The PVG-SFO flight diverted to SMF the other day due to the fog.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
According to ATC, "Due to LOW CIGS/VIS (CAT I/II ONLY), departure traffic destined to San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 10:00 am EST. "
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:55 am

Runway Visual Range (RVR) is currently below category II ILS minimums. Most regional carriers aren't equipped to do category III ILS approaches. It looks like right now the FAA has a ground stop issued for all Cat i/ii only airlines. Mainline flights appear to be mostly on time according to flightstats.com. In fact, looking at the map of planes headed toward SFO, it appears to be flowing quite nicely for mainline, without all those pesky RJs and props competing for valuable runway space.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:46 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And waking up this morning on the peninsula, it's bright and sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Go figure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.