Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Thanks United - Positive Experiences (2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club

Kudos where they are due.

This week I flew DEN-ORD-IND-IAD-DEN. Stops in both IND and IAD at least overnight.

On time all around.

ORD-IND oversold. Took a VDB and scored $400 TC and $15 meal voucher.

Due to rebooking - ORD-IND - was #1 on UDU list and cleared.

At ORD learned of Northeast Waiver. Was originally booked IAD-BOS-DEN. Called from ORD RCC and got IAD-DEN non-stop with confirmable UDU and got a CR1 refunded to my bank.

IND-IAD operated by Shuttle America. An amazing purser (Paula) who wrote individual notes to each F pax thanking them for their business and wishing a Happy New Year. VERY impressive (separate note to Shuttle America to be sent!)

On Friday night, saw that IAD-DEN had a morning flight on a 777 wide open in all cabins. Called back and requested earlier departure (again, due to waiver) and got it. NC not available, placed on list.

Woke up with Easy Update message to advise NC confirmed.

All UDUs cleared. Got back a CR1. All ops on time and $400 for the future.

THAT is why this 1K will continue to do what it takes to be a 1K and remain loyal to United. Thank you!!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:25 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Wife and daughter are on Business Class award tickets, redeemed via USAir. Routing is SIN-MBS-SIN

Some one failed to tell me that once you start travel, you can't change your itinerary. No wonder they are often referred to as 'Useless Air'.

They were due to fly out yesterday. Or today. I forget which.

Seven year old daughter has the patience of a small, irritated rodent. Wife isn't much better. That's why we travel separately.

Son and I got home yesterday. Or today. Whatever.

Anyway.

Girls get to MBS at o'dark hundred and the UA guy says "Your flight is canceled"
She Who Must Be Obeyed looks at him.
He looks at her. Starts to panic...
She says "what now?"
He taps away. Nervously. He has no idea who he is dealing with I think to myself.
He then says "I can get you out on a Delta flight to the West coast and then Delta all the way to SIN. In Coach".

I start to feel sorry for the UA agent, as my wife is retelling me the story.

Allegedly, she tells the UA man to "speak to the hand". And then leaves in disgust.

I then get a call. Followed by an email. I am issued with instructions to resolve their problem. Immediately.

Wife and daughter find the last rental car in MBS and head to some establishment which rents rooms by the hour.

Or something like that.

From Singapore, I try and call Useless Air to resolve the stranded family. Line is busy. Try again. Line still busy. One more time, "gotta be third time lucky" I say. IVR basically tells me to try again around Thanksgiving. In 2013.

I start to lose the will to live. And begin to think I will never see my wife naked ever again unless I fix this.

Light bulb goes off in tired and overworked brain. "Call the 1K desk", it tells me.

So I do.

Amazingly, the UA agent (lets call him "Issa"" because that is in fact, his real name) takes pity on me and says hang on.

Much tapping of the keyboard.

Then the dreaded "I have to talk to a supervisor..." line.

I wait. And wait some more.

"Mr Eightblack?" says Issa
"Yes", I respond nervously
"We've had a chat and decided to take over this booking. We'll put your wife and the small angry one on UA all the way home"

I was stunned.

"Really?" I say incredulously.

"Yes", says Issa

"One thousand thank-you's", I say.

That was basically it. A bit more tapping, a little more waiting. And bingo, 5-minutes later I had an email with a brand new itinerary, with wife and daughter on UA all the way in domestic F and then J across the pond to HKG and then onwards to SIN.

And that my friends, is why I have been loyal to UA for 14+ years and the pain of any past mileage runs pales into insignificance. I called UA when I needed their help, they responded above and beyond the call of duty and went the extra mile.

They didn't have to do a thing. Technically it was USAir's problem.

So, bravo UA. Bravo.

Marriage still intact for at least another week. Or my next screw-up. Whichever comes first...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Not as wonderful and exciting as you guys, but here goes, very minor.

Wife and I were in LIT visiting relatives on separate PNR's (From ecerts for long delay out of SXM last Feb. We were in F on miles! I got $300 and she as a GM got $250) As you all know these days, most short non hub flights use RJ's. Coming back real early, 6am, New Years day, flight short delay waiting for GA arrival, we board our exit row seats (She no status, me 1P which took three calls until I got a US based 1P desk agent, got her in exit row next to me no charge!) Sitting there looks like closing door and GA arrives with a BP for me to F. I tell the FA that I am traveling with wife on separate PNR and she says, "grab you belongings and come with me". 1 B and C are ours! Thanks UA! Get to ORD super fast due to huge tailwind and sit in the box for 35 minutes. FA serves F pax water-OJ-snack boxes while siting there. Thanks again UA, good job most of the time^
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Flew SJC-DEN on SkyWest at the beginning of the week. In F, the FA was addressing us by our last names, and doing as much as she could for us. Drinks were constantly refilled, snack boxes were distributed and decorated. For a bit, I wondered if I was on mainline! Great service^
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Doing the whole weather thing in New York at Christmas my GF's and my flights get canceled (to be expected). After much complaining to Continental, I end up with tickets on UA. UA gave me an TALT op-up and as I stand there with my GF, talking to the GA, she gets an op-up as well, so she can be next to me. Mind you she has no status and was on a different PNR. Not as above and beyond as OP, but still very nice.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
got my first UDU on my first UA flight in 2011 from ORD-LAX.

then got another UDU on my way back to ORD!

im really feeling that my loyalty is paying off =)

(my first domestic was with AA because UA apparently canceled ticketing agreement with CI, the airline i always use to fly transpac between taiwan and US)
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
Nothing special, but I'm just back from an LAX-SJC r/t in C. Great service. On the outbound there were just two passengers in C, so I had a great conversation with an FA who's logged 40 years with UA. C was completely full on the return but there was still time for idle chit chat and the service was great - my drink glass never went empty and the food - cold chicken (delish) over a bed of lettuce, plus the usual soup and breadsticks - was as good as it's been lately for UA mainline intra-NA flights.

This 1P is happy with UA so far this year and hopes the next 11 months bode as well.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by I Prefer the Red Eye
Nothing special, but I'm just back from an LAX-SJC r/t in C. Great service. On the outbound there were just two passengers in C, so I had a great conversation with an FA who's logged 40 years with UA. C was completely full on the return but there was still time for idle chit chat and the service was great - my drink glass never went empty and the food - cold chicken (delish) over a bed of lettuce, plus the usual soup and breadsticks - was as good as it's been lately for UA mainline intra-NA flights.

This 1P is happy with UA so far this year and hopes the next 11 months bode as well.
When did UA start flying a three-cabin aircraft on this route? They only fly UX CR7s with F, not three cabin with C..
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
When did UA start flying a three-cabin aircraft on this route? They only fly UX CR7s with F, not three cabin with C..
Oops, I meant SJD...San Jose del Cabo. A319 bird.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I Prefer the Red Eye
Oops, I meant SJD...San Jose del Cabo. A319 bird.
The A319 only has F and Y, not C.. Depending on the flight number, F may have been sold as C...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The A319 only has F and Y, not C.. Depending on the flight number, F may have been sold as C...
On flights to Mexico, F is sold only as C and marketed as United Business.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Returning home from Europe on Tuesday standard F Award was booked FRA-IAH-LAX-SFO. I checked in the day before in Malaga, Spain to Frankfurt via BCN.

Was feeling tired and asthma was bothering me, so I called United on Monday evening to see if Award F seats happened to open on the nonstop FRA-SFO flight. Yes, they were. She attempted to book me but it turns out the agent in AGP had already checked me in on the FAR-IAH on LH flight.

Get up early and go to FRA, where LH counter takes me off FRA-IAH flight. Go over to UA desk. They weren't sure that one could make changes once travel had begun. Checked with supervisor - sure!

Although I had to now wait in lounge at FRA for three and a half hours until SFO flight departed on-time, I got home about six hours earlier and non-stop.

Because I wasn't feeling well - I got over eight hours sleep on that flight.

The policy about changes worked out great for me.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
Returning home from Europe on Tuesday standard F Award was booked FRA-IAH-LAX-SFO. I checked in the day before in Malaga, Spain to Frankfurt via BCN.

Was feeling tired and asthma was bothering me, so I called United on Monday evening to see if Award F seats happened to open on the nonstop FRA-SFO flight. Yes, they were. She attempted to book me but it turns out the agent in AGP had already checked me in on the FAR-IAH on LH flight.

Get up early and go to FRA, where LH counter takes me off FRA-IAH flight. Go over to UA desk. They weren't sure that one could make changes once travel had begun. Checked with supervisor - sure!

Although I had to now wait in lounge at FRA for three and a half hours until SFO flight departed on-time, I got home about six hours earlier and non-stop.

Because I wasn't feeling well - I got over eight hours sleep on that flight.

The policy about changes worked out great for me.

^^Very nice
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Capt. Kim Weber UA158 PDX-SFO: YOU ARE AWESOME!

Folks,

Just google "Kim Weber" "United Airlines" and you will get plenty of other stories like this. At the risk of being redundant, I must post this as a HOPEFUL story about UA customer service (from a CAPTAIN!).

About 45 mins into our very short 1:23 flight PDX-SFO today, the Purser passed out personally addressed business cards to all of the GS/1K in the F section. The cards each had a hand written note from Kim Weber thanking us for our business. The card also had Mr. Weber's full address, email, and phone number, which FLOORED me. I am 99% sure that he paid for these cards out of his own pocket.

I have already sent him an email thanking him for his great work and service. If there were a few more employees like him at UA, it would be a very different airline!

Bravo Capt. Weber. We need more like you at United and in this industry.

Best Regards,
TFD
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like Captain Denny. He is known to hand out personalized business cards to F pax.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-flanagan.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.