Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Thanks United - Positive Experiences (2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks United - Positive Experiences (2011)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG plat ambassador
I also have had good experiences with the 1K desk, especially during irregular operations when the local CSRs are overwhelmed. One thing I learned is that if I check-in online, the 1K desk can more easily make changes to my itinerary than if I checked-in at the airport. So they told me anyway.

Overall, I find the top tier concierge desks, be it United or SPG, offer great value and urge such travelers to take advantage of the service.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:00 pm

An outstanding experience. from website auto upgrades, to curbside, to bag check, boarding, flight and bags.

5/17 MCO-DEN 765 - smooth sailing all the way. Purser and first class FA were excellent, attentive, super pleasant. Puser even gave me the left over cookies for simply saying "I'll take what ever is left over" when they asked what I wanted to eat. They are usually very grateful for that (and it's no biggie to me since I am not a picky eater), but the FA really went out of his way to sincerely thank me for it. This is the way flying should be. Off to the UA website to provide my kudos....
Old May 19, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: United 1K
Best purser ever

BRU-IAD today, flight 951, Purser Laura was the most delightful United employee we've ever experienced - and we were in e+ today, not up front.
She came back and personally greeted 1K's, thanked us for our business, offered a drink and an amenity kit.
Then brought champagne to an engaged couple and congratulated them, wished someone else a happy birthday.
Her warm and friendly manner and actions made this a truly positive & memorable flight, even in economy
Thank you Laura!
Old May 31, 2011, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Just off the phone with the 1K desk and very happy with outcome .
Booked IAD-FRA-IAD yesterday with both legs clearing with SWUs.
Today called to change ticket to IAD-FRA-AAA-BBB-FRA-IAD and optimistically asked if I could keep the cleared TATL upgrades?
Agent went away and worked with rate desk. Came back and said because of my status she wasn't going to start over, but would keep already upgraded legs even though original fare class wasn't available and re-priced the itinerary. (Total time on phone about 50 mins). I paid the change fee and a minimal extra for re-fared itinerary. All-in-all a very good experience ^.
Old May 31, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Greetings All:

Have to say that the PMUA flight attendants have been superlative all year for me.^^ I try to bring them girl scout cookies every time I fly as a thank you for their hustle and hard work. Been a great year, and still not even half way through!

Safe Travels
Old May 31, 2011, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
UA irop handling Sunday: good work

^

On Sunday the Shark family flew three sectors, PHX-IAH-ORD-MHT. I left my CO PE number in the res for the first two sectors, hoping for an ug opp for a companion. First, a companion UG processed at the gate on the opening CO sector, yes, we know, it's a rare event even at 5am on Sunday....allowing two of the Shark family to sit in F. Then at IAH, the Shark family connection to ORD was delayed by three hours because of the wx. Before we left, we had been protected on the evening's last flight to MHT. At this gate there was another companion ug for Shark Jr! So far, so good.

When we arrived at ORD we found out that our MHT flight was cxld. So, no apparent way to reach MHT that day. I could see this wasn't good, judging by the number of people being told they would have to overnight at ORD and the aftereffects of the morning's storms.

At the ORD RCC, I asked if the agent could find anything for us to New England arriving the same evening. BOS/BDL/PVD, even ALB/HPN. And she found us three seats to PVD! Excellent, PVD was the most desirable destination anyway. I asked for my CO PE number to be deleted and my 1K number to be subbed in since this was UA metal.

I've taken to ensuring if it's UA metal, or UA codeshare with LH, I fly the sector on my 1K number and if CO, then on PE. This seems to have worked well.

Under the circumstances, we were happy to just be on this plane. But then at the gate, we receive a triple-ug to F. We arrived on schedule at a more convenient airport. Having eaten the UA F food. OK, without the bag, which I had been alerted might not be recovered at ORD and transited in time to the PVD flight. But the main thing was, we all made the long-planned family retirement function on Monday. The agent at luggage at PVD addressed me by name as soon as I walked through the door of the office, and she filed the report quickly.

Yesterday I called UA 1K and they forwarded my call to a "UA 1K luggage desk." They didn't know where it was but promised action by Tuesday morning. I received a call about the bag early this morning and then it arrived later this same morning, during the time window that the delivery agent stated.

All in all, these results are very much better than the classic CO indifference to irop. ^ Although the agents were stressed by the problems at ORD, they made a real effort to deliver a solution that worked for us and we appreciated it.

Yes, keep the CO BF cabin and service for the J product, but preserve the UA 1K irop handling.

This is the best irop handling I've experienced since the days of The Airline That Cannot Be Named on the DL forum. Because that airline's service was superlative and totally shames DL's current "Medallion" service, as even their current CSRs secretly tell me by PM. The loathsome DL ideology of actively preventing their agents from delivering meaningful service recovery are a stark contrast to what went before. From The Airline That Cannot Be Named.

And let me say, so does this service from UA blow DL away.

Good job and thanks, all.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Similar experience but a slightly different take...

I had a similar experience last Sunday, traveling MBS-ORD-IAH-LAX, so it was opposite yours in the sense that I encountered UA first and then CO. I venture to say that it was only because of the holiday weekend that our irrops handling went as satisfactory as they did for us. However, I must add that CO nearly failed me, and with the integration still ongoing, it's unclear which side, UA or CO's irrops handling, will remain in the end. Here is my experience:

* My ~15:45 MBS-ORD flight was canceled. Got text from UA at 13:00 stating that I was rebooked on a 13:30 DL flight to DTW. There was no way I was going to make that flight.

* Called UA res. The agent tried to pass off the problem to CO, saying that I had a CO ticket (true, but it was UA that auto-rebooked me, and the text stated that I should call UA for assistance). The agent seemed clearly disinterested in assisting me, so I merely confirmed that a later DL flight to DTW was already sold out, said thanks but no thanks for her unhelpfulness, and then hung up the phone.

* Arrived at MBS airport at 14:00. I agreed with the UAX agent that my only plausible option was to drive my rental car to DTW since there were no more available seats out of MBS because of the holiday. He booked me on a ~17:45 CO DTW-IAH flight, plus a DL DTW-LAX nonstop just in case I couldn't make the CO flight. He also issued a $100 travel cert to cover my drop off charge, and assured me that the reservation for the final IAH-LAX segment (UDU in place) was unchanged.

* Got to DTW at 17:00, returned my car and arrived at the terminal around 17:10. CO agent issued my boarding pass right away, with a middle seat in the last row of a 737-700. She told that my name was on the upgrade list, and I had better hurry because boarding was about to start.

* Boarding had already commenced when I arrived at the gate. I did not wait to see if my upgrade would clear, even though CO's iphone app (which is awesome ^) showed that I was #1 on the list with 2 open seats. Being in the last row, I didn't want to experience CO's antiquated boarding system in its full and inefficient splendor.

* During the middle of boarding, a CO GA came back with an upgraded BP for me. I then waited in the rear galley until everyone was seated before heading up front. During the wait, a FA whispered to me that we might have to deplane because a thunderstorm was approaching and ATC might declare a ground stop.

* Sure enough, ATC declared a ground stop and the pilot asked everyone to deplane.

* I went to the LH SEN lounge and nearly cleared off the food buffet. I hadn't eaten anything since 9:00.

* We re-boarded at around 18:30. The thunderstorm hadn't arrived yet; ATC felt there was a small window of opportunity to get the flights off. The planes were lined up and departing in 30-second intervals, kind of like the Berlin Airlift. We arrived IAH about 1 hour late.

* I had never received the boarding pass for my IAH-LAX flight through this ordeal. UA at MBS couldn't print one out, and things were so rushed at DTW that perhaps it was my oversight not to have asked for one right then and there. Anyway, the automated kiosk couldn't print one out, and at the gate I learned that I was offloaded because I was a no-show for my original ORD-IAH flight.

* It was only because there were still a couple of open F seats that I got my upgrade back (albeit with a different seat assignment). On any other day, I am almost positive that I would have been S.O.L.

So, in the end, I believe that CO dropped the ball because they offloaded me. I ended up coming home on time only because it was a holiday weekend and there were plenty of open seats to reaccommodate me. Given CO's propensity to blame the weather and waive any monetary compensation related to it, including hotel rooms for forced overnights, I see my outcome purely as a strike of good luck rather than exceptional irrops handling on CO's part. I wish to be reassured that GS/1K/Plats will be handled the way UA did for us in the past, but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited by sinoflyer; May 31, 2011 at 5:52 pm
Old May 31, 2011, 6:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Great report! ^

Irrops handling is one of the top reasons I fly a bit more (okay, a lot more some years) to maintain top tier status. I hate irrops, but can think of several situations the past few years where being 1K (or 1P) really saved my bacon.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Excellent SkyWest/UE F/A

With all the talk lately about poorly behaved United FAs, I thought I'd share that I had an excellent F/A recently on a SkyWest/United Express flight from LA to San Diego that got delayed on the ramp due to LA traffic congestion.

Amongst other things, she lent her personal cell phone to an anxious passenger whose own phone had died, gave myself and a few other pax at the front of the (turboprop) plane earplugs (a nice touch since I'd forgotten mine in a seat back pocket two days earlier), and made sure everyone had plenty of water.

After arrival, the captain also stepped off the plane to secure the ramp and propellers instead of waiting for the ground crew to show up so that pax could make tight connections.

I dropped a letter in the mail+sent a fax to SkyWest commending this crew. I assume that's the best thing to do in this situation.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Kudos to UA

I booked tix on CO from ORD-PBI with a connection in EWR and I had my CO Plat # on my reservation since they were all CO flights.

I was scheduled to be on the 5:00 pm flight from ORD-EWR last Thursday, however, flights into EWR were delayed because of winds.

At 1:30 pm, I received a notification that I was moved to the 4:00 pm flight. I thought, no big deal, I will just head to ORD at 2:00 pm.

At 1:45 pm, I received a notification that I was moved to the 2:00 pm flight. I was still at work. I called CO and said there is no way I am going to make a 2pm flight, considering I was still in the office. She told me the flight was delayed to 4:05 and that she could get me a seat, but couldn't check me in, but to just head to ORD.

I hopped in my car and took off. I arrived at ORD and the CO agent (who was very rude) told me I was out of luck getting on the "2:00 pm" flight. He told me the 4:00 pm flight was leaving at 5:26 pm but I would probably miss my connection in EWR.

I asked if I could be moved to the UA flight at 3:00 pm that was delayed to 4:26 pm and he said nope, that is United.

I took my BP, went through security and stood in line at the gate to see if I had any options. I called the 1P line and the woman on the phone told me there was lots of availability on the flight I wanted, CO just needed to release that segment to them and I could get on.

The nice CO gate agent released my seats and told me to hustle on down to B6 as they were going to be boarding soon.

The UA agent at B6 was awesome. He issued me a BP for the flight and I asked if F had checked in full. He told me it hadn't so I asked if I could use my MP # for that segment to be placed on the UG list since I had my CO # in the reservation. I checked the monitor and didn't see my name and I asked him about it. He said that it wouldn't appear and he had to do it manually. Two mins later he called me up to the podium and gave me a BP for 4B. I checked my MP account the next day and saw that he re-booked me into F for that segment and received bonus EQMs.

Not too shabby - going from a CO agent who told me I was in the wrong line when I was trying to get my BP and him telling me I was out of luck and probably would not catch my flight from EWR-PBI, to UA getting me out of ORD, making it in plenty of time to catch my CO flight to PBI.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
A simple gesture goes a long way

I was flying ORD-SFO on Saturday. I missed the ug by 1 but was happy with my 10D seat. We pulled back from the gate but stopped after a few feet and went back to the gate.. 1st officer asked FA's to disarm doors. The problem was pressure leak at emergency exit. We ended up waiting for almost 2 hours for the fix, but the crew was great at keeping everyone informed. Since I had to run to get to the flight, I was not able to get food on the way, and I had not eaten for several hours. Once airborne, the FA took drink & food orders. I asked for the tapas box. When I pulled out my credit card, the FA patted my hand as a signal to put it away.

A simple gesture like this helps keep me loyal, especially in a time when there's a charge for almost everything. Thank you UA and the great FA!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, CZR 7*, MGM Plat
Did a mileage run/day trip to PDX this past weekend. Booked CO PHL-IAH-PDX-IAH-PHL.

A couple of weeks before the flights got re-rerouted PHL-IAH-SEA-PDX, with the last leg being in UA express. I still can't figure out why since they were still selling my original routing, but I did not change it back since I liked the extra 550 EQM. +1 one to UACO for extra EQM

Saw some sights in Portland on Saturday. When I went catch the light rail back to PDX, I could not board because it was full of people returning from the Starlight Parade. After some bad advice and a bus driver getting lost, I got to the airport just in time to see the plane push back.

The CO gate agent was looking hard for a new flight for me to take the next day. Only routing that came up was PDX-IAH-PHL with less than a 30 minute connection in IAH. She said that if I missed the connection it would be seven hours before the next non-full flight. At this point a new plane pulled in and she went to meet it.

As I was standing there looking for alternate routings with the ITA app, a united employee came up (to the CO gate) and asked if I needed any help. I explained that the CO gate agent was working with me to get me back to PHL because I missed the flight. He stuck around. When the GA came back I had found a UA PDX-SFO-PHL routing for first thing in the morning. UA agent helped CO GA find the flight, and it was available. As CO put me on the flight, UA called up someone to be sure I got put on the upgrade list. UA guy then took me out of secure zone to print up my tickets and let the CO GA deal with the incoming flight.

Back at the ticket counter I had my MP number put on the new tickets to do everything I could to get back my upgrades (was confirmed all the way back to PHL on original routing ). The agent also volunteered a distressed passenger hotel form. While the agent was working on ticketing, I remembered the GTEM slip I had never had reason to use. When he handed me my tickets, I handed him back the GTEM.

After a very short stay at La Quinta Inn (2 hours sleep), I got the upgrade on the CR7 PDX-SFO. My first time on this type of plane. First class was perfectly comfortable from what I saw of it. I ended up sleeping the entire flight.

When I got to SFO I was 3/22 on the UDU list with 1 seat remaining. I was just surprised how high I was on the list as a 1P. Gave me an inkling something good had happened to my reservations

Yup, new route booked into Y! So instead of losing EQM to the shorter route back, I actually got more.

In summary:
  • CO re-routed me for extra EQM
  • CO GA very helpful
  • UA agent went above and beyond (helping at a CO gate and then taking over re-booking for CO)
  • UA agent booked me into Y
  • UA agent volunteered a distressed passenger hotel slip
  • New SDC may have benefited this 1P, no charge for the missed flight/re-route
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Had a very good experience with the 1K desk about a week ago:

Was in Paris with my wife, and up early, I decided to go on-line to check the status of our CDG-IAD-SFO flight, looking forward to our long-ago booked return home trip in First Class. I was alarmed to see the dreaded "flight cancelled" in red letters, and immediately got out my headphones to use Skype to call the US 1K desk. While I waited the 30 seconds for an agent to come on the line, I went through the possible scenarios of routing, downgrade to E-, etc.

Much to my surprise, the agent fiddled for a few minutes and stated that he had come up with a way to get us home, and asked if we could get to the CDG airport an hour early to catch a plane to Frankfurt, to be followed by a non-stop to SFO - all still in First Class! I was truly amazed, since this was a free ticket using miles. We ended up arriving about an hour before the original flight's arrival time.

Thanks UA!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Thumbs up Delta sucks and Global Services saves the day

I was flying from MSP to FRA via JFK and was booked on DL and SQ in C. Weather in NYC was causing delays, but DL flight was on time. Then there was an email about a 1hr delay. OK - so now I have a problem with my connection. 5mins later, another email and the flight is on time again.

I arrive at the gate and the captain is talking on the phone and various conversations between the DL gate agents. Then at the time boarding was due to commence, they annouced a one hour delay I managed to discuss with one of the employees - the dispatch planner delayed the flight and had been over-ruled by his supervisor saying its too early to annouce the delay.

Checking with the gate agent, I would miss my SQ connection and I had to call delta reservations. Go to a reservations phone in that direction (pointing). On hold for 10mins and gave up. I needed to find an alternative that afternoon/evening.

My itinerary was ticketed by UA, so I called the GS desk which was answered within 15secs. Explained my problem, and while on the phone they managed to find a routing that was available (all full flights from MSP, ORD, EWR) via IAD on UA leaving in an hour. The agent stayed on the phone while she found an alternative flight, went back to the DL gate to take myself me off the checkin list, booked the UA flights, waitied till I walked to the RCC and talked to the agent to reticket with no fee, upgraded me to F for the IAD-FRA segment and then apologized that F was full MSP-IAD.

Thank you Global Services.^^
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Having been a GS for 3 years, it is clear that one of their primary agendas is to get passengers to their destination more-or-less on time regardless of ir-ops. This can include overbooking flights and booking on alternate carriers (so long as they have a ticketing arrangement).
We'll have to wait and see how much of this remains once the merger is complete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.