Wiki Posts
Search

Of UDU and VDB: A Curious Encounter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Of UDU and VDB: A Curious Encounter

So there I was sitting on 1A on UA107 ORD-LAX. This would be my first UDU and first time sitting in C or F on a US domestic route and US carrier. As a 1P, I feel quite lucky to be upgraded amid the sea of 1Ks and GSs.

While I was very much looking forward to see what sort of meals they would serve in F on a domestic route, (I know the meals on international route in Y are so terrible that I had better ones in Kenya Airways Y) I wasn't in particular hurry to be in LA and wouldn't mind giving up my seat should VDB be an option. After all, as a college student, I am quite used to flying Y+ or Y even on international routes.

Got into RCC for some juice (I don't like consuming alcohol on an empty stomach), then proceeded to the service counter to ask for VDB possibilities. She puts me on the list, and returned my 1A BP in addition to the VDB sheet stating compensations.

I go to C15, and asked the GA if she needed volunteer. She said she would be ok even though the screen showed 13 people on standby with just a few available seats. (I wonder under what conditions are VDB issued!)

Boarding starts and I asked again, this time the screen showed 16 on standby, they said not at this time.

GS, 1K, F, 1P, and *G finished boarding. I asked one last time, now with 23 on standby, and they told me they are fine.

I walked on the red carpet, and tried to board. The machine returned a noisy beep as the other GA scanned my BP, and told me I wasn't checked in! In addition, there was already someone in 1A!

Turned out, the VDB process un-checked-in me from the flight. The GA saw 1A open, and UDUed a person into F.

Some panic happened, a manger came to the gate, and they issued a new E+ BP for the guy who was currently sitting in 1A, and a new 1A BP for me.

By this time, I was the third last person on the walkway between all the folks in Seating 4. A GA rushed into the plane to reseat the person in 1A. By the time I boarded, a very angry gentleman was in sight as he walked towards Y+, (it was a 757, so I ran right into him) He wanted to speak to a manager and demanded an explanation. One FA offered him a free cocktail, while I quickly explained the whole VDB mess and apologized. He said it was not my fault and continued walking. (He was also 1K. I am not sure why my UDU cleared ahead of me. Perhaps he purchased his ticket late?)

(FA just approached me for meal options. It was turkey something and chicken sandwich. A bit disappointing to be honest, but better than nothing. The seat is comfortable so I am not complaining. I digress.)

In retrospect, I should have realized when I was denied boarding that I was successfully VDBed by RCC CSR even though it was against the will of the GA. I did not know at the time so I simply showed the GA my BP, and ended up with one angry 1K in Y+.

Had I noticed it, and went to CSR for rebooking, I might have gotten an F booking on the next flight (or at least Y), $400 in vouchers, and a much happier 1K in 1A.

Guess I am sharing this curious tale as an act of redemption. Thanks for reading and baring through my poor English.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RandomTaiwanese
In retrospect, I should have realized when I was denied boarding that I was successfully VDBed by RCC CSR even though it was against the will of the GA. I did not know at the time so I simply showed the GA my BP, and ended up with one angry 1K in Y+.

Had I noticed it, and went to CSR for rebooking, I might have gotten an F booking on the next flight (or at least Y), $400 in vouchers, and a much happier 1K in 1A.
I don't think that was the case. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but the RCC can add you to the VDB list but it would be the GAs that accept and process the VDBs. Perhaps someone accidently off-loaded/unchecked you while doing that?

I go to C15, and asked the GA if she needed volunteer. She said she would be ok even though the screen showed 13 people on standby with just a few available seats. (I wonder under what conditions are VDB issued!)

Boarding starts and I asked again, this time the screen showed 16 on standby, they said not at this time.

GS, 1K, F, 1P, and *G finished boarding. I asked one last time, now with 23 on standby, and they told me they are fine.
In my experience, standbys don't necessarily mean they'll need VDBs. A better indicator would be the screen that shows capacity and number of pax checked-in...also the little number that says "Seats Remaining".
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewT84
I don't think that was the case. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but the RCC can add you to the VDB list but it would be the GAs that accept and process the VDBs. Perhaps someone accidently off-loaded/unchecked you while doing that?

In my experience, standbys don't necessarily mean they'll need VDBs. A better indicator would be the screen that shows capacity and number of pax checked-in...also the little number that says "Seats Remaining".
Correct, adding someone to the VDB list and offloading someone are two totally different processes.

OP, you would not have gotten vouchers as you describe. When someone is offloaded, the agent has to select why the person is offloaded and your name is then "marked" (for a lack of a better word...) on the passenger list as "VDB". On top of that, the voucher system requires a reason for the oversell whether it be weight, aircraft swap, or overbooked, etc. So the agent doing the issuing would find out while researching the reason for the oversell.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:30 pm

From what I understand, an airline would rather not process standbys than take a VDB. It wouldn't make any sense for them to. Standby is processed on a space-available basis. They don't HAVE to be processed. Therefore, if there's a lot of people on standby, it would have nothing to do with a VDB being needed. Also, it was clear that there was a few available seats in the plane. When that's the case, they usually definitely wouldn't take a VDB, as VDB only happens when there are absolutely no seats left, and more passengers confirmed on the flight than there are seats.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'm not an airline employee, but if I was working the gate and you kept repeatedly pestering me about your VDB I'd probably offload you and then reload you into coach. That is just annoying and next time I would suggest you kindly add your name to the list and let it go at that unless you are paged.

As for the standby list you should understand that has no bearing on your VDB. The list is not an indication of whether the flight is overbooked. The flight may very well be full and there are simply a lot of people who got to the airport early for whatever reason and want to take an earlier flight. Or maybe there was a cancellation. They do not VDB people just because the standby list is growing, as the last poster noted.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
as a college student
(I don't like consuming alcohol on an empty stomach)...
My, how times have changed!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by greathustle
I seem to remember something about "dry heaves", but it is kind of fuzzy...
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
...She said she would be ok even though the screen showed 13 people on standby with just a few available seats...
There is a concept you have to understand - Standby does not trigger IDB/VDB but oversold triggers IDB/VDB.

There are a lot of reason why a pax ending up in standby list (such as MX, a GS/1K want to go early, even a pax with prior VDB/IDB). But standby does not mean you are entitled to board that flight (basically, you are waiting to see your chance).

However, oversold is different - in a simple way, for a B757 (182 seats total), UA simply sold more than the plane can hold (like 190), as ideally, not everyone shows up (as a key portion of inventory management).

In this case, if there is any sign that ticketed pax (with confirmed reservation regardless having seat assignments or not) will reach the maximum capacity, the inventory management will allow VDB (That's why some people are offered to be put on the list during OLCI).

So you want to score VDB, check with 1P Desk about the time that your UDU get cleared. Then you will know your chance (by asking if it is oversold).

FTers, correct me if I am incorrect.

...I am not sure why my UDU cleared ahead of me. Perhaps he purchased his ticket late?
This is mostly the reason (that 1K might buy a Full Y after 72-hour windows...)
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:33 am

The best way to determine if vdb's would be needed is not by the "Seats Remaining and Stanby List" you have to look a the "Confirmed Awaiting Seats" list. Those are the confirmed passengers who checked in and don't have a seat assignment. For example, if there are 10 "Confirmed Awaiting Seats" and there are only 2 seats remaining...then it is very likely that VDB's would be needed.

Don't remember the exact wording for the list but ,I've seen it from time to time along with the standby and upgrade list, is either the Confirmed Awaiting Seats or Checked in awaiting seats.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:33 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I'm not an airline employee, but if I was working the gate and you kept repeatedly pestering me about your VDB I'd probably offload you and then reload you into coach.
Wow. I hope I never have to deal with whatever business you are an employee of.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by greathustle
I'm with the OP on this one who wants to drink on an empty stomach
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:52 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Some panic happened, a manger came to the gate, and they issued a new E+ BP for the guy who was currently sitting in 1A, and a new 1A BP for me.

(FA just approached me for meal options. It was turkey something and chicken sandwich. A bit disappointing to be honest, but better than nothing. The seat is comfortable so I am not complaining. I digress.)

Guess I am sharing this curious tale as an act of redemption. Thanks for reading and baring through my poor English.
As others have said, there are many factors that go into a VDM occurring. First of all, it is CONFIRMED passengers that are waiting for seats; not standby passengers. Secondly, your status also has something to do with it as well (I'm with the other poster who mentioned you shouldn't keep pestering people once you're on the list - they know you're on the list. One technique I use is that I will ask the ticketing agent (prior to security) when I check-in if they need any volunteers. She will put me on the list. When the GA arrives to open the flight I reconfirm that I am, indeed on the list and ask her/him "do you think you'll need me?" They usually give a better indication. Then I sit down and don't ask again. They know you're there.

As far as "panic" ensuing - I find that a bit of a stretch - they deal with this type of thing on a regular basis (double-booking seats). Also, since you were disappointed with F, why didn't you say to the GA (you know what, I'd like to be downgraded?) They do that often as well and could have made the swap.

As far as the $400 - vouchers are dependent upon the amount of time that you have to wait for the next flight; there are many tmies when vouchers are not offered; it will be a free ticket in the US that they offer.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ldsant
there are many tmies when vouchers are not offered; it will be a free ticket in the US that they offer.
Not anymore, according to this thread, DBC FREE's are gone:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-markets.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13945202-post144.html

Confirmed: no more VDB, $400 Type B vouchers only option
Disclaimer: I realize that not all UA/UX employees follow current UA protocols and that many FTers are able to talk there way into getting something outside the protocols. Thus the following may not apply in all circumstances.

This week in mid sized midwestern UA airport was told by a well informed UA employee that UA is phasing out VDBs and they have been told they can only grant $400 Vouchers as UA thinks that it will result in people spending incremental money on tickets, increasing sales income.

For a bump he gave me four $100 type B vouchers.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I had the exact VDB add/uncheck in procedure happen to me in October. I asked to be placed on the VDB list at the check-in counters for my second segment and everything looked to be squared away. After getting off my first segment flight, I went to the gate and saw the GA was overwhelmed with passengers asking about seat assignments so I didn't bother to verify my spot on the list. Upon trying to board, it showed that I hadn't checked in - checking the history it showed that I had been offloaded by the checkin agent when I had first checked in.

It was a CRJ-700 segment and they ended up pulling a guy off the plane that was on the VDB list and I was given his wonderful 18C seat (I pushed for the VDB, but they wanted to give it to him). I have no idea how it happened, but I will for sure always check with the GA to make sure I am on the list.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by Pingtung
I had the exact VDB add/uncheck in procedure happen to me in October...
I'm a little surprised at this only because I get myself on the VDB list for every flight I take (often at the C concourse ORD RCC just as the OP did) and I have never been downgraded. I wonder what the determining factor is that gets you unchecked from the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.