Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Let's Eat! - Economy Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Let's Eat! - Economy Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Feb NRT-SFO
1st meal - Bulgogi Chicken

2nd meal - Omelet

Apr TPE-NRT
Fried Noodles

Apr SFO-PVG
1st meal - Chicken with red sauce

1st meal - another choice which I don't know the name

2nd meal - Sandwich

2nd meal - another choice which I don't know the name either

Apr TPE-NRT

The same main course but in 2006:

Apr NRT-SFO
1st meal - Bulgogi Chicken
--

1st meal - Beef with potato
Old May 8, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 2P
4/12 - IAD-GVA

Dinner: Options were Chicken Cacciatore or Pasta, I chose the chicken

The snack was a mini-banana bread loaf (which was not that great...) and yogurt

4/25 - GVA-IAD

Choices again were the Chicken and the Pasta, this time I chose the pasta:

Snack was a mini ham sandwich, chips, and a Mars bar:

I have to say, I thought the food actually was not bad, especially for Economy food. I liked the pasta more than the chicken, and found it to be pretty decent.
Old May 10, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Consolidated Domestic Buy-On-Board Menus

Couldn't find a posting on this... but it appears that UA and CO now have the same in flight menus for their domestic BOB selections, with one exception: CO flights serve hot menu items (breakfast sandwich, cheeseburger) while UA flights do not (ham and swiss croissant, turkey sandwich instead). I wonder what will win out in the end - hot menu items or all cold? I like that CO serves hot items, even though they could improve the quality of the breakfast sandwich - the cheeseburger is pretty good for a plane! Also, I'm not sure if UA flight attendants are not required to serve hot food as part of their agreements?

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53262,00.html
https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...nomy/menu.aspx

Also - I'm happy they kept the Thai Chicken Wrap from United - that is one of the better items! I guess no free chips anymore though.
Old May 10, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
pigx5:

Thanks for the outstandingly clear Y class meal photos, even if they were cringe-worthy at times!
Old May 10, 2011, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by ejross
The economy class snack while crossing the Pacific is probably the worst snack offered on any airline in the world....a bowl of noodles laden with chemicals which probably cost the airline no more than 5 cents. Terrible,
+1

Packaged (and other) garbage for "food" is one of the reasons if I were UA I'd be careful about eliminating other benefits (like E+ and UDU). Take away the few advantages and UA just can't compete, especially with overseas flights.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:52 am

May 5th IAD-LHR, Dinner and Snack (Breakfast)
Dinner was a choice of pasta or chicken, I chose the pasta. It was manicotti (wide flat noodle wrapped around ricotta filling) with marinara sauce. Accompanied by a small iceberg lettuce salad with balsamic vinaigrette, roll, and a dessert I can't remember. The pasta was fine, nothing great, but certainly edible. Wife slept through dinner. I think it was basically the same meal 11800506 had on his GVA-IAD flight.

Breakfast snack was a dry packaged strawberry danish and blueberry yogurt. The danish was dry, but didn't necessarily taste bad, and I passed on the yogurt.

May 16th MUC-IAD, Lunch and Snack
Lunch choice was pasta or chicken. I had good luck with the pasta before so went for it again. Very similar but lasagna this time, it even had little chunks of a sausage like substance but was surprisingly pretty good. Same small salad with balsamic and a roll. Dessert was the best part, a dense chocolate brownie with a crumble topping and cherry sauce. Wife had this meal and actually ate it, and said it was pretty decent for airline food. She liked the brownie also.

The snack was essentially the same snack 11800506 had on his GVA-IAD flight. Small ham sandwich, 3 circles of ham (typical spiral cut ham) and a slice of cheese. The roll was pretty dry, so the mustard it came with was welcomed. The thick layer of butter on the roll was not, it was about 1/4 inch thick and everyone in the cabin was scraping it off. It was edible, but nothing great. Snack bag also came with paprika flavored chips and a giant Kit-Kat bar. Wife passed on the sandwich after she saw the butter, so she ate both bags of chips and I had the two dry sandwiches. Both had a Kit-Kat.

On both flights, the pasta meal was pretty good for an airline, although I think it should be pretty hard to mess up pasta cheese and tomato sauce. Salads were ok, had some rough looking pieces but dressing was good. Rolls and breads leave something to be desired, almost all are dense and dry. Desserts were the standouts, the brownie was really good, I expected it to be dry like the rest of the bread products. The snacks were pretty rough, I don't think they really care too much about them, because if you really want a meal you can likely get one at your destination or connection point. We went in with the perception that the meals would be pretty bad, and came away pleasantly surprised. Its all about managing your expectations!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually I do NRT-SFO/LAX but did PVG-LAX on a mileage run. I was a little impressed that the food was better.

For example:

1 - it was a chicken dish and has a little more meat than that chicken teriyaki out of NRT
2 - it tasted pretty good
3 - got an actual piece of cake instead of a pre-packaged brownie type of thing
4 - mid-flight snack was a very small sandwich (still a sandwich instead of chocolate/cookie) + almond cookie
5 - arrival meal actually had meat or a decent fruit plate

was it because:

1 - the flight was about 2 hours longer (11.5 instead of 9.5)?
2 - the departure/arrival time was later (8 PM/5 PM instead of 5 PM / 9 AM)?
3 - things are cheaper in China so UA could buy more food with the allocated $ per passenger?
4 - UA is improving the food (last time I did Y out of NRT was January)

Thanks.

Last edited by username; Jul 17, 2011 at 2:17 am
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Offered Chicken or Beef on GRU-ORD.. Dessert was disgusting.

Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I spotted the tarmac delay snack kit in the bin opposite my seat on an ERJ-145 the other day. Hopefully you'll find this as interesting as I did in that geeky way.

Last edited by GoAmtrak; Sep 22, 2011 at 8:05 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Just flew IAD-CDG on CO (I was originally on a UA flight through ORD but was re-routed due to late aircraft), and my first observation was that the CO food was awful compared to what I'm used to on UA. Specifically, I don't recall UA ever microwaving their food. They always seem to be warmed in an oven. The CO food was definitely microwaved (it was served with the plastic wrap still on it), and it made the chicken like rubber. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:33 am

Doing LAX SYD next week, what's the food like? (First time E+ for this route)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I'm flying IAD-BRU soon, is there complementary beer or wine in Economy?Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Any recent experiences on ICN-SFO? I will definitely order special meals ex-SFO but not sure if there's anything unique about Y catering on the way back. There was a reference to a "McMuffin" type breakfast in the 2010 thread, which I'd definitely want to avoid as a non-pork-eater.

I imagine that Asian Vegetarian (AVML) meals would be decent out of ICN? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I'm flying IAD-BRU soon, is there complementary beer or wine in Economy?Thanks!
There have been reports of complimentary wine with meals in E+, but I don't believe it's official policy. Officially, no free booze in Y on trans-Atlantic flights.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass Gold
LAX-NRT on UA, any idea about the economy meals?

I'm flying from LAX-NRT in economy next week. I'm a pescatarian (I don't eat meat but can eat seafood). Does anyone know if the main course options are based on a choice of meats, or do they give you a choice of a meat or fish? Or can I just request a vegetarian option before flight?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by camerabug
I'm flying from LAX-NRT in economy next week. I'm a pescatarian (I don't eat meat but can eat seafood). Does anyone know if the main course options are based on a choice of meats, or do they give you a choice of a meat or fish? Or can I just request a vegetarian option before flight?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
I believe you have to request a "special meal" in advance if you want a vegetarian option. In my experience they've offered a fish option most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.