Search

what to do with useless CR1's?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
what to do with useless CR1's?

I do see where CR1s are mostly valuable on, the p.s. routes, transcons, and hawaii flights. However, no one in my family goes anywhere near those routes being based in Austin and flying mostly to Beijing (6 times a year), and if we do travel domestic only, it's almost always on award tickets.

So, my question is, what can I do with CR1s, some people say they can be swapped for SWUs but I called MP and they wouldn't do it for me. I've so far burned a few CR1s on some 90 minute UX flights ( better than nothing), but I'd rather know if either there is a proper way to trade them for SWUs or at least donate them to military members (call UA and ask them to gift it to a random military guy).
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:50 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
though not officially, they can unofficially be traded on FT's CC. but its based on interpersonal trades between FTers. UA technically forbids trading, but it can be 'shared' among friends for free.

some people who fly the P.S. routes or has non-elite family members use up alot of CR1s, you can find those people on CC.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
They are still useful for upgrading in advance as long as NF or NC space is available. Your situation is different since your paid travel is primarily international. You are sort of in the same boat as international-based 1Ks.

For US-based flyers who travel primarily domestic they are still quite useful. I just used two yesterday for an upcoming trip to Seattle because:
  1. I had two expiring in January
  2. NF space was available on all but one of the four segments.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 28, 2010 at 7:44 am Reason: not going there
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JeffS
They are still useful for upgrading in advance as long as NF or NC space is available.
That's the only use I see now, most often the SWU gets waitlisted so I apply the CR1 to snag the upgrades on the domestic connecting flights (on UX!) and wait for the SWU to confirm. If it does, I call UA to get the CR1 back and extend the SWU to the domestic sector. If the UA agent insists that I give up the CR1 as well, I won't waste my time arguing, it just means one less CR1 that expires instead of being used.

Next time at the airport, I'm just going to go up to random gates and ask if I can upgrade a random military pax that day...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
For US-based flyers who travel primarily domestic they are still quite useful.
It works well if you live on a coast. As the OP lives in TX, I can see his point.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:23 pm

Hahaha, I have had a hard time finding even friends to sponsor! Haven't been able to use them (I always get UDU and wife always travels on miles) - so the CR1s are pretty useless .
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It works well if you live on a coast. As the OP lives in TX, I can see his point.
Texas does have a coast.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Texas does have a coast.
Far far far away from where I live, it's at least several hundred miles away...it's a big state, you can drive 1000 miles and still be in the state of Texas. Half of the time spent driving to LA is spent in Texas!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I usually offer them to family and friends. I have also gifted them to several Flyertalk members for being so helpful to other members in this forum.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
There are a LOT of CR-1s/SWUs available on CC...as a 2P who can't really count on UDUs, I've been able to upgrade quite a few times from FT friends who had expiring CR-1s/SWUs that would have otherwise gone unused. There are always "free" CR-1s/SWUs available during the last 2 weeks of every month so it appears that people have had trouble even giving them away at times...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Yea I think for us domestic warriors they would be nice to have! I wish I could get them! I havent qualified for them yet!

Also, lots of us travel with spouses and it would be nice to upgrade them here and there!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bniu
Far far far away from where I live, it's at least several hundred miles away
Austin is only 150 miles from the Gulf coast. I know people who commute almost that far daily.

Originally Posted by bniu
you can drive 1000 miles and still be in the state of Texas.
If you drive in circles, you can do that in any state. If you drive in a straight line, you can only do that in Alaska (assuming there's even a road that long). Texas is only 800 miles wide (878 miles along I-10), while California is 840 miles from North to South.

Is exaggeration the "state hobby" of Texas?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Is exaggeration the "state hobby" of Texas?
LOL, indeed.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite, IHG Gold, Accor Silver, Ex-Malev Platinum (RIP)
CC?

Sorry - can someone please explain the acronym "CC" (I've looked in the FT Glossary - CC is listed as "Credit Card").

I'm in the same situation - have lots of CR-1s which I never use, and would like to swap for SWUs which I frequently use.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aisleseater
Sorry - can someone please explain the acronym "CC" (I've looked in the FT Glossary - CC is listed as "Credit Card"). ....
Coupon Connection -- a restricted access forum on FT. After 90 days and 90 posts you will be considered for access

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.