Search

upgrade on HNL to NRT mid January?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
upgrade on HNL to NRT mid January?

Hi,

I need to go from Hawaii to Tokyo mid January (the 11th or 12th). The UA flights are a few hundred dollars more than the competitors. I'm a 1p, and I believe the HNL-NRT flights at this time of year are pretty busy; but, if I was pretty sure I could get an upgrade, I would go UA over JAL.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: IC RA, UA 2P, delta pm
I'm a bit confused as to your question. The chance of an op-up is slim at best. What mechanism are you planning on using to upgrade? Do you have access to a SWU? Are you planning on using miles? Are you planning on buying a high enough fare class for either of the above mechanisms?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Have you looked at the loads? Both days are close to sold out in C: 11th C3 12th C9 and it looks like a real 9.

Also: 10th is sold out in C, 13th has a lot of C space. 14th has even more (NC2 confirmable now). I'd make a guess that 13th will clear if waitlisted.

I see nothing that looks like a potential op-up as Y does not look oversold on the dates where C is open.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Not to state the obvious, but just FYI that "unlimited domestic upgrades" don't cover you on that flight. You'll have to use an upgrade instrument like miles or SWUs. So if you're hoping to hop on that flight and just get upgraded, that won't happen unfortunately.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Assuming the upgrade is supported with miles/copay or a SWU, this probably isn't a good gamble, given how heavy the loads are. It's probably better to save your money and go on JAL, unless you need the EQMs for requalification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.