Wiki Posts
Search

Go For DBC or Bank the Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AS Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Go For DBC or Bank the Credit?

Weeks ago I reserved a same-day mileage run tomorrow from BWI-ORD-BWI to ensure that I would get enough miles to retain status. Turns out that I earned enough miles otherwise so I don't need to take the trip anymore.

So here's are my options as I see them:

Since this flight is covered by the East Coast waiver, I believe I can apply the value of the ticket to a future flight without penalty (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

OR

I could show up at the gate tomorrow, see if they're taking volunteers and add my name to the list. Seems the worst that could happen is not get selected and I could still cancel the trip and apply the value to a future trip. But in case I do get selected, what would my options be for taking that flight to ORD? Will I be issued a ticket on the next available flight or could I negotiate with the GA as to when I could take the flight?

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If it were me, I wouldn't hassle with the airport at a shot at a VDB. Even if they're over, they may not need vols. You have an out with the weather waiver. Use it and use the credit later.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by channa
If it were me, I wouldn't hassle with the airport at a shot at a VDB. Even if they're over, they may not need vols. You have an out with the weather waiver. Use it and use the credit later.
Agreed and the way I look at it, you've got a free change so I would apply the change to a s/d mr after the first of the year for your 2011 eqms' (but get the change done before flight time as imho, it's gonna be a hassle to do it afterwards)
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There are a lot of passengers who are trying to get home after this weekend's storm; for no other reason other than karma, it might be nice to release a seat to someone who truly needs it.

My $.02.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AS Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Thanks for the quick replies. I called UA, cancelled the flights and will hang on to the credit. Indeed someone else will need the seats and I save the aggravation at BWI tomorrow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.