Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Red Carpet Club nonsense - DEN RCCs close well before last flights depart.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Carpet Club nonsense - DEN RCCs close well before last flights depart.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by UNITED863
They could actually find any UA agents to staff the lounge & avoid overtime, but I'm sure at many locations the contracted bar/cleaning staff are a separate matter, and their company wouldn't approve overtime.
Other airlines figure out how to get it done.

I have often seen UA staff that at other times work gates or ticket counter sitting at the RCC desk, so they are cross-trained.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by seacarl
I can somewhat understand closing on time if there is a single delayed flight, but if there are multiple delayed flights the RCC should stay open, even if it requires overtime. That is when a lounge is MOST valuable.
and it is during these times when the lounge comes through that makes people want to renew or buy a membership. one day when I travel more, I'm buying a lounge membership. It's just a nice way to spend some peace and tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of the airport.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Yes, one of the disappointments of the RCC management.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:47 am
Original Poster

The situation seems especially easy to fix at big hubs like Denver, where there are multiple clubs (and especially at Denver, where the clubs are so close to one another).

Why not have different hours at different clubs? Open -- and close -- one a few hours later than the others? Have something open whenever flights are operating.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
But many weekends in DEN, instead of staggering the opening times .... they stagger which club is open. I've seen the sign "This club closed today. Please use the other club!"
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by flyersfo
The situation seems especially easy to fix at big hubs like Denver, where there are multiple clubs (and especially at Denver, where the clubs are so close to one another).

Why not have different hours at different clubs? Open -- and close -- one a few hours later than the others? Have something open whenever flights are operating.
Or at airports with multiple clubs have one club which is considered the primary club and is always open 60 minutes before first flight until departure of last flight, and the others are the more limited-hour clubs open during peak times. That way members can know/learn that at Dulles the club by C-17is always open etc.

I don't know if they still do this, but in the past UA only operated one club at DEN on Saturdays - but it wasn't always the same one, so on any given Saturday you had no way to know to which club to go. It was kind of annoying. If they are only going to operate one club, pick one and be consistent.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
A few months ago I discovered the RCC in Portland closed at 7 p.m. I had an 11 somthing flight and arrived around 7 to spend the waiting time in the club. That didn't work.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: *G
the roulette of which-club-is-open-today, the fact that i wasnt able to find a single whole copy of newspaper my 2 years of flying from there, for-pay booze, and the inability to pick up the airport wifi signals, is why i always preferred the (old) CO lounge , accessible through priority pass....

one of the worst part about my favorite domestic airport
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by linsj
A few months ago I discovered the RCC in Portland closed at 7 p.m. I had an 11 somthing flight and arrived around 7 to spend the waiting time in the club. That didn't work.
PDX is one of the few airports in the USA where I would feel comfortable hanging out for a few hours with a closed RCC.

Originally Posted by schley
I've had the IAD RCC stay open in an irrops situation for IAD-DXB flight.
I always thought that UA kept the IAD RCC by C7 open until the last international flight left. I actually remember hearing a UA employee in another RCC at IAD direct passengers on delayed flights to that RCC. I had a flight delay to LHR this March, and they kept that RCC open until all the international flights had departed. If you have a long delay for a domestic flight, you can go to this RCC (although it might be a hike to your gate from the RCC).

UA should keep the RCC open until all flights have departed (especially in irregular ops). I'm not paying my RCC membership just to be told to stand in line or call an agent when things go wrong.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by VA1379
I always thought that UA kept the IAD RCC by C7 open until the last international flight left. I actually remember hearing a UA employee in another RCC at IAD direct passengers on delayed flights to that RCC. I had a flight delay to LHR this March, and they kept that RCC open until all the international flights had departed. If you have a long delay for a domestic flight, you can go to this RCC (although it might be a hike to your gate from the RCC).

UA should keep the RCC open until all flights have departed (especially in irregular ops). I'm not paying my RCC membership just to be told to stand in line or call an agent when things go wrong.
Too bad they won't do that for the IFL!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
LAX and SFO clubs stay open to accommidate the Red Eye flights but SEA and PDX do not. This is a huge disservice to paying members who may be taking these flights. I can only speak for CO and the clubs schedule at a given city are patterened on flight schedules, first flight out and last flight.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold
I'm onboard with keeping RCCs open at least until about 30-45 minutes before the scheduled departure of the last flights out, but y'all can "wah, wah, wah" all you want. You're not going to get me to feel bad for you because they kick you to the concourse during IrrOpps.

The folks that work at RCCs want to go home too. It's somewhat unreasonable to expect them to stay until all hours of the night to accomodate a group of over privileged few, many of whom earn more in a week than they do all month.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
LAX and SFO clubs stay open to accommidate the Red Eye flights
Did this start recently? We got kicked out of the LAX RCC last month (Nov) well before all the flights had left. Granted, some were delays with departures at around 2300.

Would be nice if they stayed open.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I don't see what the big deal is for having extended RCC hours during irregular ops if other carriers can do it. There is something called overtime and adjusted shift schedules. Sure, it will cost UA more money to have more staff on hand to cover additional hours, but customer loyalty is not simply overpaying for a bunch of crap.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by kelpetey
The folks that work at RCCs want to go home too. It's somewhat unreasonable to expect them to stay until all hours of the night to accomodate a group of over privileged few, many of whom earn more in a week than they do all month.
Disagree completely. This is a service business and the RCC is an extra cost service. UA can figure out a way to staff them that's fair to employees. They clearly do that to have gate and ramp agents available during irrops. The RCC should be run for the benefit of its customers, not its employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.