Search

Premium Meals for Elites in United Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Premium Meals for Elites in United Economy

Just got an email with this included:

Now serving: Premium Meals in United Economy Enjoy the finest meals when flying in United EconomyŽ. Pre-order Premium Meals, like grilled tenderloin steak, grilled chicken or sumptuous tortellini up to three days before select flights. Simply log into My Reservations and go to the "Reserve your meal now" link under "Flight Info." See menus and pricing.

I was excited until I saw the word pricing.

Ugh...
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:09 pm
smn

Pre-Order Meals & Express Dine

Didn't see this here yet, but just got this email. Looks like ability to pre-order meals (what happens if I get my UDU) and something called "Express Dine" (not sure if this exists already).

Now serving: Premium Meals in United Economy Enjoy the finest meals when flying in United EconomyŽ. Pre-order Premium Meals, like grilled tenderloin steak, grilled chicken or sumptuous tortellini up to three days before select flights. Simply log into My Reservations and go to the "Reserve your meal now" link under "Flight Info." See menus and pricing.

Express Dine in business and first class. Sometimes you just want to grab a quick bite instead of waiting for the next course. Let us know, and we'll serve you more quickly by combining courses. Simply request Express Dine when placing your order. Available on select flights.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:14 pm
smn

After looking at this more closely, do you think this is for Intl flights? Seems to me to serve "hot" meals in economy on Domestic may be asking for too much.

FWIW, I don't have this option under any of my flights coming up (Trans Cons)
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I got the same email, Express Dine has been around on intl-C/F for ages not sure why they mentioned it here or if they are doing something different now.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html

and express dine has been around for a while
2008 thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...available.html
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
IIRC, Premium Meals are available for everybody, not just elites..
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
the new email is generating threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ress-dine.html

neither of these are particularly new
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by smn
After looking at this more closely, do you think this is for Intl flights? Seems to me to serve "hot" meals in economy on Domestic may be asking for too much.

Looks like only SFO-FRA and SFO-LHR:

"Premium Meals are now available to customers seated in United EconomyŽ on flights 900 and 926 from San Francisco (SFO) to Frankfurt (FRA) and flights 930 and 954 from San Francisco to London Heathrow (LHR). These Premium Meals include a choice of three entrees including salad, fresh fruit, dessert, and a selection of cheeses, for $19."

If you opt to not partake of the "premium meal", the basic meal on TATL flights is still free, right?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
very limited for now...

Originally Posted by smn

shows it as available on SFO-FRA and SFO-LHR flights only:
Premium Meals are now available to customers seated in United EconomyŽ on flights 900 and 926 from San Francisco (SFO) to Frankfurt (FRA) and flights 930 and 954 from San Francisco to London Heathrow (LHR). These Premium Meals include a choice of three entrees including salad, fresh fruit, dessert, and a selection of cheeses, for $19.

and PS:
Champagne brunch meals are available to customers seated in United EconomyŽ on p.s.Ž Premium Service flights departing before 4:30 p.m. Champagne brunches include a glass of sparkling wine accompanied by a choice of quiche served alongside salmon or a Caprese panini sandwich enhanced with complementary sides, for $24.99 each.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: SPG: Platinum
My comment, "You've got to be kidding"

I'm going to be paying $19.00 for airline food? Not a chance.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA G
Is "Express Dine" the official term for "gimme everything now?" If so, I'm going to start using it on my flights. On redeyes especially, I want all of my food asap so I can sleep. ^ to UA for making it convenient.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
"Express Dine" is not offered domestically, though for all purposes, all domestic meals are generally treated as Express Dine anyway. Express Dine is available as an option on international flights.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
$19 is probably more than I'd spend unless these are super-awesome meals, which I doubt. I'd likely just spend $5-$10 to bring on board some snacks of my own to supplement the free Y meal. Still, it's nice to see some options at least, I'm sure there are those who will like it.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP via status match, COdbaUA 1K
Originally Posted by 84fiero
$19 is probably more than I'd spend unless these are super-awesome meals, which I doubt. I'd likely just spend $5-$10 to bring on board some snacks of my own to supplement the free Y meal. Still, it's nice to see some options at least, I'm sure there are those who will like it.
Yeah, this is a head scratcher for me. Quiche for $19? Considering I fly the same routes all the time and 50% of the time the FA's bring me wine from business class for free, I would essentially be paying $19 for mediocre quiche???? For $10 or less I usually bring something way better than they are serving in C and possibly F. I cant imagine this has been that popular since introduced. I havent seen anyone sitting in Y eating quiche yet.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smn
Didn't see this here yet, but just got this email. Looks like ability to pre-order meals (what happens if I get my UDU) and something called "Express Dine" (not sure if this exists already).

Express Dine in business and first class. Sometimes you just want to grab a quick bite instead of waiting for the next course. Let us know, and we'll serve you more quickly by combining courses. Simply request Express Dine when placing your order. Available on select flights.
They don't charge you until you take the flight. If your UDU, CR1 or SWU comes through you don't pay and you get your business or first class meal. I have seen reports that it was a pretty good meal on UA 900 SFO-FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.