Wiki Posts
Search

Abandoning Your Kids and Grabbing E+ seat

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Abandoning Your Kids and Grabbing E+ seat

This was definitely a first for me. I was on an early evening flight last week, IAD-LAS. A woman walks on the plane with two kids in front of her and (as I see when she turns around), a baby strapped to her back. She was dressed in some sort of African garb. As her kids continue to the back of the plane, she sees an empty window seat in front of me in E+ and grabs it with her baby.

At this point, I'm assuming the kids' father is in the back of the plane. As I'm making funny faces at her baby, the true owner of that seat shows up. This young lady says: "Oh, are you in the aisle? I'm in the window, but I'll take the aisle if you want to sit there with your baby."

Very nice of her, I think. The mother merely looks around. It seems to me like she speaks no English. The other passenger shrugs and takes the aisle.

Well, 5 minutes later, the true owner of the aisle seat shows up. The FA is notified and comes over to figure things out. She asks for the mother's BP. Again, she just looks around.

Now another FA comes over from the back of the plane with one of the kids in tow. She says: "Ma'am, is this your child? We found him wandering in the back of the plane. He was terrified. You can't just abandon your children!"

The two FAs tell her to stand up and they take her to the back of the plane with her kids. The mother is so non-chalant about the whole thing!

Anyway, it was one of the craziest things I've seen in a while.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Interesting. I wonder if she just did not understand what to do, or if she was just trying to get the E+ seat..
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've always wanted a parent to leave their child sitting next to me so I could do my part to increase their vocabulary during the flight...
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Maybe the lady thought it was Southwest?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Uniter
Now another FA comes over from the back of the plane with one of the kids in tow. She says: "Ma'am, is this your child? We found him wandering in the back of the plane. He was terrified. You can't just abandon your children!"
WOW! How incredibly irresponsible of her! Why would you just abandon your child to wander to the back of the plane just to get a better seat?!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've always wanted a parent to leave their child sitting next to me so I could do my part to increase their vocabulary during the flight...
This is one of the best FT posts that I have seen in at least two years. Way to go: mahasamatman !
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Never underestimate the power of 5 extra inches of legroom ^
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
The craziest event I witnessed lately was on CO when a couple abandoned their kid in SEA security. The parents were traveling in F with a lap infant. Their three kids were in the back of Y. Two of the kids got on a little after their parents. As the GA was making sure everything was in place before the door shut the mom apparently got a text message from the third daughters explaining that she was still at security.

The plane was late departing and so after about 10 mins the GA was encouraging the parents to make a decision because clearly the kid was not insight. During this time the mom was having a nervous breakdown. In the end both parents deplaned and the two kids stayed on the plane. I could not understand how the parents were unable to keep track of three walking children!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold, UA 1P
With 3 kids I do not think that it was 5 inches of legroom that was to blame here.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
This is one of the best FT posts that I have seen in at least two years. Way to go: mahasamatman !
^
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
this thread is comedy gold. people get soo hyped for a few inches of legroom for just a few hours that they would abandon their kids for it.

also...

^^^^^

Originally Posted by flying for gold elite
As the GA was making sure everything was in place before the door shut the mom apparently got a text message from the third daughters explaining that she was still at security.
just... wow

at least the door was still open so she was still ok to use her cell phone =p
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flying for gold elite
In the end both parents deplaned and the two kids stayed on the plane. I could not understand how the parents were unable to keep track of three walking children!
did they let other elites upgrade into F? =p
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RandomTaiwanese
did they let other elites upgrade into F? =p
Actually the person next to me suggested to the kids that they take their parents' seats. They asked the GA and she approved. So I guess the family got a good deal assuming the revenue F parents got rebooked in the same cabin on the next flight.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
as well as sign language skill lessons
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
as well as sign language skill lessons
^ Good minds must think alike.

I just hope you'd get upgraded so you didn't have to sit next to unattended children in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.