Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Stay in full E+ aisle row or risk move to E- aisle w/maybe empty adjecent seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

What would you do?

I'm flying UA 837 SFO to NRT on 12/9 in E+. I'm in seat D on the aisle on a 747 config. Every seat in E+ has been taken. Up until yesterday the entire aircraft was full in E+ and E-, but suddenly a whole section of E- seats (about 24 or so) emptied out in rows 37, 38 & 39. I'm guessing a group tour booking canceled out (or rescheduled). So there are entire empty rows right now behind me. I'm not a big guy, so the extra 6 inches while nice, aren't necessary. Should I;

1) Stay where I am? Keep the aisle in a full E+ row.

2) Move into one of the empty rows on the aisle in E- and hope that it doesn't fill up with a bunch of other people (which it may not since we're only 2 days from departure). Which will almost certainly guarantee that somebody else will take my E+ aisle seat.

3) Stay where I am in E+ but wait until check-in and see if there are still empty rows in E- and try to grab an aisle seat that has an empty adjacent seat at that point.

Your opinions are welcome?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Your flight is Y0. Don't expect any empty seats.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Jigen666
What would you do?

I'm flying UA 837 SFO to NRT on 12/9 in E+. I'm in seat D on the aisle on a 747 config. Every seat in E+ has been taken. Up until yesterday the entire aircraft was full in E+ and E-, but suddenly a whole section of E- seats (about 24 or so) emptied out in rows 37, 38 & 39. I'm guessing a group tour booking canceled out (or rescheduled). So there are entire empty rows right now behind me. I'm not a big guy, so the extra 6 inches while nice, aren't necessary. Should I;

1) Stay where I am? Keep the aisle in a full E+ row.

2) Move into one of the empty rows on the aisle in E- and hope that it doesn't fill up with a bunch of other people (which it may not since we're only 2 days from departure). Which will almost certainly guarantee that somebody else will take my E+ aisle seat.

3) Stay where I am in E+ but wait until check-in and see if there are still empty rows in E- and try to grab an aisle seat that has an empty adjacent seat at that point.

Your opinions are welcome?
The comment above probably covers it, but if there are lots of Y seats still for sale it might well be worth it. I flew SFO-IAD on Sunday with a seat in E+, window, and noticed a window seat towards the back with an empty seat next to it (and a bunch of empty middles forward). Meanwhile E+ was totally packed, as were the exit rows. It was a redeye so I figured a empty seat next to me is worth more than the legroom. After everybody boarded I still had my empty middle and E+ was full to the gills.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
That block of empty rows are phantom seats on .bomb - I saw the same thing happen on my SYD-SFO flight last fall. A couple days later they showed up as full again. Trust me, every seat will be taken when you board.

Another reason why seatmaps are not a good indicator of loads.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by mrswirl
That block of empty rows are phantom seats on .bomb - I saw the same thing happen on my SYD-SFO flight last fall. A couple days later they showed up as full again. Trust me, every seat will be taken when you board.

Another reason why seatmaps are not a good indicator of loads.
+1
Those E- 3 rows magically opened up on my last SYD-SFO/LAX-SYD flights 72 hours before departure- and both times I magically reseated myself in 38G immediately (I think these rows are blocked under airport departure control). Never assume the seat next to you will be empty as you never know how many rev/non-rev standbys are flying on the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.