Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver for ORD Saturday 12/4

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Travel Waiver for ORD Saturday 12/4

I guess they're trying to move things ahead of the snow...they're calling for 3-5 inches tomorrow.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52939,00.html
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:19 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I've taken advantage...Flying out tonight for vacation instead of tomorrow...At least getting to ORD. Booked the ORD Hilton while it was still $110/night (AAA rate).

We had a tight connection tomorrow morning...I'm not so worried about our widebody flight out of ORD as I am getting to ORD...Rather be safe than sorry.

Easy, easy, easy process with the 1K desk...And still protected on tomorrow morning's flight should tonight's flight to ORD go WX.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I guess it's a good thing that I'm not taking ORD-HNL tomorrow! Although it was much closer, I get to connect in DEN and then SFO.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I've taken advantage...Flying out tonight for vacation instead of tomorrow...At least getting to ORD. Booked the ORD Hilton while it was still $110/night (AAA rate).

We had a tight connection tomorrow morning...I'm not so worried about our widebody flight out of ORD as I am getting to ORD...Rather be safe than sorry.

Easy, easy, easy process with the 1K desk...And still protected on tomorrow morning's flight should tonight's flight to ORD go WX.
$110? That's a rip. I've gotten that exact hotel for $55 on Priceline. And as long as you don't mind which 4* you sleep in, I'd definately go for Priceline.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: UA *G
Did they let you add a stopover at ORD then?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:59 am

I am a segment run newbie with six flights scheduled tomorrow, four of which involve flying from/to ORD. In a situation like this, am I best off (1) waiting for my flights to be "involuntarily" re-routed and then seek ORC, (2) using the travel waiver to proactively reschedule an itinerary today that gives me a similar number of segments, or (3) something else?

Haven't OLCIed yet. No clue what to do at this point. I was 3-for-3 on cleared UDUs tomorrow too.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Thoughts?

So, what is the feeling here.....The International flights (especially the Asia flights), will operate as normal and the domestic flights (namely the regional flights), will bear the brunt of the cancellations?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Great. Just rerouted via Denver

Originally Posted by goingbananas
So, what is the feeling here.....The International flights (especially the Asia flights), will operate as normal and the domestic flights (namely the regional flights), will bear the brunt of the cancellations?

Thats pretty typical!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:23 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hellyea
$110? That's a rip. I've gotten that exact hotel for $55 on Priceline. And as long as you don't mind which 4* you sleep in, I'd definately go for Priceline.
Yeah, compared to priceline...But, for me...3 rooms, 2 kids (none of them ours), 2 elderly folks. 8 people X 8-14 days of luggage in tow...We'd have to all but walk to the Hilton anyway to catch the shuttles...This is much easier, plus HH Diamond gets me internet and breakfast for 2, but going to try to get it for all.

Not willing to gamble right now, and when they generally get $150-$230/night for booking a week or more out, I'll take $110 in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Thats pretty typical!
And that's why we're taking the RJ flight tonight!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm Reason: multi quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm doing ORD-MKE-ORD-SFO tomorrow and am going to hang tight for now but am prepared to ditch the ORD-MKE-ORD legs if needed. I also made a reservation at the Marriott ORD ($89 AAA rate) for tomorrow night just in case.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
hmm
I got a LX flight (UA award tix) tomorrow night. Hopefully the intl flights wont be cancelled
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
From the forecasts I read it looks like they're expecting 1-3 inches over night which really isn't so bad. ORD can handle that easily.

Hopefully this is just another event way overblown and overdramatized by the media in order to give the weather-people more air time.... just like the CHICAGO WIND EVENT OF THE CENTURY last month... It ended up not even being the windiest storm this year.

On the other hand.... anyone that is on my flights for my MR that is confirmed in F, I encourage you to utilize the change waiver.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
I am doing a SR tomorrow - MKE-ORD-DAY-IAD-PIT-ORD-MKE. I called UA to change my travel to a different date and they told me I would have to pay the fare diff. At this point I am going to roll with it and see what happens.

Should make for a fun day, lol. My first time dealing with a travel waiver. Should I be doing something different?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I had a roundtrip to ORD for 12/4 that I just cancelled (not quite an MR, more of a BIS run, to get Q4 CR-1s) that would have given me half a day in the city.

I'm now thinking of rebooking it again since I'd still have the 24 hr cancel window to further track the forecast, but I'm still a little worried about the snow.

What's the general feeling on how ORD handles this amount of snow? Are hub-hub flights more likely to fly than others? (in case I can get a rebook through IAD).
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:21 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
What's the general feeling on how ORD handles this amount of snow? Are hub-hub flights more likely to fly than others? (in case I can get a rebook through IAD).
It's PROBABLY not that big of a deal...

I'm only going the night before to ORD because where we're going only has 1 shot per day of getting there from MBS...Plus we're confirmed in F tomorrow, and I don't want to blow that part either. The flight (the one we're not taking tomorrow) will go on time, I'm sure, because we're doing this...If we waited until tomorrow, I'm sure it will cancel or be really late.

But they seem to cancel MBS-ORD-MBS flights without a second thought, often when other UX flights are going and even when they're full (like ours is tomorrow, we're actually doing UA a favor).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.