Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Stringing together standard and saver awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1K

So, I'm trying to get a one way ticket to the US from BKK, and trying to use a saver award from BKK (I'm a 1K). From what I can see, there's zero economy saver availability on UA's only Bangkok flight (UA882) through August or such (would like to travel end-Jan).

I'm not particularly averse to combining a standard SE Asia-Japan standard award with a transpacific saver award, but has anyone had any experience with doing that?

Also, the UA website gives conflicting information about baggage allowances for passengers on the same PNR as a 1K; the 1K website says 3 bags @ 70lbs each while the baggage bit says 2 bags @ 50 lbs for passengers traveling with an elite member. Which is it? (And what applies if I do a one-way Star Alliance (probably TG or such) award? Me with 3 pieces and companions with 2?)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Try calling the 1K desk about your award ticket; you may be able to book standard and waitlist for saver. At least that used to be the case...

IIRC, as a *G you should be able to check 3x 70# bags.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Try calling the 1K desk about your award ticket; you may be able to book standard and waitlist for saver. At least that used to be the case...

IIRC, as a *G you should be able to check 3x 70# bags.
Well, the real reason I'm asking is that if I do a 20K one-way standard award SE Asia-Japan and a 32.5K one-way saver award, that comes to 52.5K, which is a bit better than 65K for the standard one-way award going the whole way (adds up for multiple people, too). Of course I'd rather pay 32.5K for the saver the whole way, which may necessitate S*... The question is, can I get it ticketed on a single itinerary (as there are significant luggage restrictions for itineraries terminating in Japan)?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by neuf
Well, the real reason I'm asking is that if I do a 20K one-way standard award SE Asia-Japan and a 32.5K one-way saver award, that comes to 52.5K, which is a bit better than 65K for the standard one-way award going the whole way (adds up for multiple people, too). Of course I'd rather pay 32.5K for the saver the whole way, which may necessitate S*... The question is, can I get it ticketed on a single itinerary (as there are significant luggage restrictions for itineraries terminating in Japan)?
If you are willing to spend 52.5K one way in Y, you may as well spend 62.5k to get the one-way saver C ticket from *A. If you are flexible, those are possible if you look hard like using the ANA tool. Good luck hunting.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lax2010
If you are willing to spend 52.5K one way in Y, you may as well spend 62.5k to get the one-way saver C ticket from *A. If you are flexible, those are possible if you look hard like using the ANA tool. Good luck hunting.
Good luck, indeed, what's up with BKK availability?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 2MM
....those are possible if you look hard like using the ANA tool. ....
Like joining ANA Mileage Club first?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
Like joining ANA Mileage Club first?
Done that, have figured out how to get it going. Just slow working, that's all, not to mention potential blocking UA-side... so maybe I'll just call them and have them work through the weeks.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by neuf
Done that, have figured out how to get it going. Just slow working, that's all, not to mention potential blocking UA-side... so maybe I'll just call them and have them work through the weeks.
There were rumor that the *A blocking is not as bad any more.
Not sure when OP wants to travel (it was mentioned through August) but I saw C availability for July on TG non-stop BKK-LAX.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:26 am
Original Poster

There were rumor that the *A blocking is not as bad any more.
Not sure when OP wants to travel (it was mentioned through August) but I saw C availability for July on TG non-stop BKK-LAX.
Not going to treat myself to C this time; but I did get a S*/UA hybrid one way Y award leaving in 7 weeks for 3 people with no issues (BKK-NRT on NQ(NH) and the rest on UA); which I thought was a bit interesting-- maybe CO will force minimal/no blocking on UA. Which would be nice. Still wonder why UA ex-BKK is zeroed through the summer, but hey... guess it doesn't particularly matter for me in this case.

Sorry that this topic won't help anyone else with my original question (through ticketing of two awards together).

Last edited by neuf; Dec 6, 2010 at 8:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.