Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Airlines' Boeing 777s Painted with New Livery (Sightings, Experiences, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines' Boeing 777s Painted with New Livery (Sightings, Experiences, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I saw it in IAD last weekend. To quote R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket: "you make me want to vomit!"
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SFO

Saw a newly painted 777 at SFO today at the UA international terminal.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I was out showing a client properties yesterday on the northwest side of Chicago. He knows I am a plane geek so I don't really hide my gawping at planes coming in and he will often ask me to identify planes/flights. He pointed at a plane and said "I don't recognize that one." I looked up and basically short circuited when I saw the new livery. It took several seconds of thinking "Wrong font...wrong tail...wrong colors...wrong...everything...what is going on? WHAT IS THIS BIZARRO WORLD?"

And then it sunk in what I was seeing. I felt slow. And a little disgusted. Yes the globe is a hackneyed travel symbol, reeks of CO, etc., but that font used is seriously bad.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
I saw one at IAD: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...merger-update/
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Anyone who happens to catch the first 747 that just got (or currently still is) getting painted and can post a picture or link, much appreciated!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ODTheATC
Nope. The certificate will have United on it, adopting what CO had.
Of course it will have the United name on it but it is the current Continental certificate that will be the surviving document.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Of course it will have the United name on it but it is the current Continental certificate that will be the surviving document.
That is correct. United has cited 'technical reasons' to choose the current CO certificate to be the one surviving.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Anokha
I was out showing a client properties yesterday on the northwest side of Chicago. He knows I am a plane geek so I don't really hide my gawping at planes coming in and he will often ask me to identify planes/flights. He pointed at a plane and said "I don't recognize that one." I looked up and basically short circuited when I saw the new livery. It took several seconds of thinking "Wrong font...wrong tail...wrong colors...wrong...everything...what is going on? WHAT IS THIS BIZARRO WORLD?"

And then it sunk in what I was seeing. I felt slow. And a little disgusted. Yes the globe is a hackneyed travel symbol, reeks of CO, etc., but that font used is seriously bad.
Yep, it's terrible in every sense of the word. And the worst part of it? UA's "new" livery celebrates its 20th birthday in 2 days. UA's "brand new" scheme is just one year away from being able to legally drink.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 2P, LX
flew one of these "new"livery 777 last night, UA 951 IAD-LAX in C. I have a new slogan for United, "our 1990s interiors now match our [new] 1990s exteriors." I may have defaced a picture Smisek in the Hemispheres magazine...

also check out: http://www.underconsideration.com/br...d_airlines.php
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Anyone who happens to catch the first 747 that just got (or currently still is) getting painted and can post a picture or link, much appreciated!
This is one plane I think just won't look right in the new livery. Even in the white and blue livery I always thought the word "UNITED" didn't look quite right.

Originally Posted by jeffzh5
That article has been out for quite a long time.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
New Livery 777 at SFO 2-12-11

Here's ship N209UA (nose number 2609) at SFO Terminal G gate 94 waiting for departure to PEK as UA flight 889. According to UA Cargo it is new livery old interior.

Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
In the paint shop currently, should be out around Feb 22.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Date you finally started liking the new livery

I had a change of heart today - I now like the new livery. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that it looks rather smart.
Feb 14, 2011
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:32 pm

I actually liked it on Day 1.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by SoccerJock
I actually liked it on Day 1.
+1.

I've never minded the outside of CO planes. Its just the inside that I don't like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.