Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1K international baggage fees for 15 trunks to Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K: since 2010

I'm planning a trip from the US to Africa in December -- UA to Brussels & then linking with SN. I will be transporting some project commodities, e.g., pens, calendars and pocket calculators. Based on the quantities I estimate that the items will fill 12-15 trunks (32"x18"x13") with each trunk weighing 50-70 lbs.

As a UA 1K member I know that have a free allowance for three checked pieces at 70lbs each. But what about the other trunks?

Would it be less expensive to take the additional items as 12 trunks @ 50lb each or 9 trunks @ 70 lb each? Is there a special 1K rate for those excess pieces?

Is there a problem nowadays with UA for checking in that many excess baggage pieces? Does UA limit the number of excess baggage pieces?

Any other suggestions?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baertracks
I'm planning a trip from the US to Africa in December -- UA to Brussels & then linking with SN. I will be transporting some project commodities, e.g., pens, calendars and pocket calculators. Based on the quantities I estimate that the items will fill 12-15 trunks (32"x18"x13") with each trunk weighing 50-70 lbs.

As a UA 1K member I know that have a free allowance for three checked pieces at 70lbs each. But what about the other trunks?

Would it be less expensive to take the additional items as 12 trunks @ 50lb each or 9 trunks @ 70 lb each? Is there a special 1K rate for those excess pieces?

Is there a problem nowadays with UA for checking in that many excess baggage pieces? Does UA limit the number of excess baggage pieces?

Any other suggestions?
Why not use a shipping service? The United website suggests excess baggage is $200 per extra bag for travel to another continent:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53403,00.html

No idea if you can even take that many bags if you are not on a wholly UA itinerary. I would ship instead.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
If I read the fee schedule correctly, overweight fees are in addition to excess number fees. 200USD is pretty steep per item, for either; in combination, .

IMO, I'd call the 1K line on this one.

Do you have a confirmed price on shipping via common carrier? If so, and comparing to the most favorable interpretation of carried baggage, meaning 9 @ 70lbs x 200 per unit, how do the numbers crunch?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
There is this company called FedEx, they ship packages for a business, there is another called UPS, they do the same. they will be far cheaper.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: nobody
I think there is a limit of 5 pieces per passenger. At least that's what .bomb says when I try to check in my flight to NRT this morning.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Steph3n
There is this company called FedEx, they ship packages for a business, there is another called UPS, they do the same. they will be far cheaper.
Might want to do some research first.

Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:23 pm
77W

Originally Posted by gomike

You will get multi-package discounts in most cases, and you can find discounted shipping account services online too to save cash.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gomike

Time to get a better Fedex discount. I'm seeing $270 for the same weight/destination.

For something like this, Fedex will give a good bulk discount even if you dont have a regular discount with them, although a freight forwarder will probably be cheaper.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by 77W
You will get multi-package discounts in most cases, and you can find discounted shipping account services online too to save cash.
You wouldn't do this on a per-package basis, you'd get a quote from a freight company. Palletize the trunks and pay per pallet.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by rjque
Why not use a shipping service? The United website suggests excess baggage is $200 per extra bag for travel to another continent:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53403,00.html
$200 is much cheaper than shipping companies charge to Africa. The poorest continent on earth are stuck with the highest UPS/FexEx/DHL rates on earth.

UPS wants about $1000 per 70 LBS box to the country I frequent.
Originally Posted by camachinist
If I read the fee schedule correctly, overweight fees are in addition to excess number fees.
Thus far, UA has never charged me for the excess weight, only the per piece fee, saying that as I am 1K, I am allowed 70 pounders. I usually am also in business class but not sure that makes any difference to the check in agent.
Originally Posted by camachinist
IMO, I'd call the 1K line on this one.
The agent will give thier interpretation of the rules that may or may not match the interpretation of the checkin agent.
If the fee structure is anything like what they want to the African country I frequent, they want an insane amount of money.
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I think there is a limit of 5 pieces per passenger. At least that's what .bomb says when I try to check in my flight to NRT this morning.
As SN is involved, you will not be able to check in online. At the ORD airport, I have never had trouble with 10 x 70 LBS bags at a time.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
You wouldn't do this on a per-package basis, you'd get a quote from a freight company. Palletize the trunks and pay per pallet.
I followed that route and at least the air freight companies I asked for quotes from did not offer me a lower price than UA.

Originally Posted by docbert
Time to get a better Fedex discount. I'm seeing $270 for the same weight/destination.
I wish I had your FedEx discount.

That is still $270 for 50 LBS - UA is $200 for 70 LBS.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Not necessarily, those guys only do express shipping overseas and it gets really pricey really fast. The best alternative is USPS, but there may be problems with the size and weight.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Any other suggestions?
Fly me to Africa? (you get my baggage allowance)
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boghopper
Not necessarily, those guys only do express shipping overseas and it gets really pricey really fast. The best alternative is USPS, but there may be problems with the size and weight.
I tried that.

I paid full insurance but when 2/10 ten boxes never showed up at the destination, I filed an insurance claim, but USPS denied my claim saying they were informed all ten boxes were delivered.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Fly me to Africa? (you get my baggage allowance)

The poorest continent also wins the highest airfare contest!
Advance purchase deep discount economy runs $1600-$2400 roundtrip to my regular west african destination.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Nov 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: MileagePlus

Allow plenty of time for ckeckin. It took me 10-15 min reviewing the bag profiles to get the answer to your question. Also because you'll be interlining the bags a hand written ticket will need to be generated to collect the excess fees.

1) An unlimited number of excess pieces are allowed when crossing the Atlantic or Pacific
2) There is no special excess rate for 1K
3) For GS/1K/1P/*G/F/B are exempt from the $200 fee for bags between 51 -70 lb so you'll only be charged the excess bag fee ($200) for each excess piece that is under 70 lb.
4) If the bag is over 70 lb then you'll be charged $200 excess and $200 overweight, $400 total

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.